New Elton John album, "Wonderful Crazy Night" (5th February 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, Aug 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Should be top 5 at least.

2. Isejingu

Isejingu Forum Resident

Should be top3 at least!!

theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'm going with a Guess of #2 on the charts .......

I got the Target version of the cd last night as i had to have the "Deluxe version" tracks & why not at that point get the 2 live tracks .....

I hate the cheap cardboard packaging , my guess is they can ship & stock them easier this way ..... I don't like it .

I guess i am one of the few that really likes the cover , it's elton having fun , i like the Gaudy bright colors they used ..... I like the photos inside the book just not sure why all of them have him "yelling" .......

So far after one spin , i really like this album ( i did not care for the last one) My favorite song hands down is the Bonus track "England and America" KILLER tune !! also love " a good heart" & "clawhammer" ..... Nice that his band gets to play on this as well , some nice moments from them , always found Davey an amazing underrated guitar player .

Yes the mastering is too loud , it's not ear killing in the high end , just no space for where the Instruments sit ....... A pretty solid album from elton !

driverdrummer and fredblue like this.
  4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I went through this at my local target , my store has been pulling this for about 8 months now , just never putting out the new cd's & movies , i had to drive 2 towns over to get a copy last night .....
    I finally posted about it on their facebook about my store .............. lay into em

https://www.facebook.com/target/?fref=ts

5. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Wonderful Crazy Night is a wonderful-crazy-nightmare of an album title.

6. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"England And America" is the best song I've heard from Elton in ages. If the whole album had this level of quality, it would have ranked pretty close to his 70s output.

fredblue likes this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Elton is interviewed in the Guardian newspaper today saying how as a family they often eat out at Pizza Hut. Mmmmm I wasn't even aware that Pizza Hut had a concession at The Ivy ;)

8. Mr Vertigo

Mr Vertigo Forum Resident

I almost can't believe how good this album is. As a longtime (well, since 1984) EJ fan I've followed him through many ups and downs... I liked "The Diving Board", but I feel somehow that album is more Bernie's than Elton's, it's more about the stories than the music.

I've listened to WCN all weekend, and the only thing about it I don't like is the artwork. I can live with that... The bonus tracks are good too. "Free And Easy" could have been on the standard album instead of "Blue Wonderful" or "Tambourine". Many here seem to love "England And America", and it's a great, fun track, but I don't think it fits with the rest of the songs.

On the other hand, I've just heard the two songs that are exclusive to the "Super deluxe" version and they're dreadful. Whoever made the track selection and sequencing (I guess it was T-Bone) did a good job this time!

fredblue and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

I still haven't heard the Super Deluxe bonus tracks. I can't find them anywhere!

10. David Robinson

David Robinson Forum Resident

I can't find them either, which in a way is good because maybe that does make them 'EXCLUSIVE' rather than the other versions of 'exclusive' that seem to be released.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Mr Vertigo

I guess I could get in trouble for posting a link here, but they´ve been posted on EJ fan forums... So now you know where to look! :D

pghmusiclover and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

I've got the Super Deluxe version of WCN on my Amazon wish list. I'm hoping they knock it down to about a fiver in time.:)

13. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

That's the point and a perfect example to where proper marketing should have come in. "England And America" should have been a standalone single to promote the album. It wouldn't be on the album proper. How many times did The Beatles do this in the 60s by putting out singles that never made it to an album (outside of hits collections)? In my opinion, "England And America" should be heavily promoted to bring awareness to the album/project PLUS the B-side of the single would be a track from the album just to tie it to the album. Then the Collectors would get something special with the single while "making" the buyers get the Deluxe Edition if they do want a copy of the song with the album. Therefore, the people in Marketing do their job by making people buy two separate yet related products.

EddieT likes this.
  14. Mr Vertigo

Great idea - and that's what Elton used to do in the 70's, "Philadelphia Freedom", "Step Into Christmas", "Lucy In The Sky", "Pinball Wizard", "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" and "Ego" were all standalone singles.

theMess and EddieT like this.
  15. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Hmm, I think those 'stand alone singles' days are gone? Who buys 'em anymore? Most of Elton's fans are of a certain age and will be enticed to buy the new album by virtue of hearing a 'promo track' they liked on the radio. To buy the album and then find it missing the track they actually heard would just annoy.

16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Well, look at Rihanna who released 3 songs last year, none of which ended up on her album this year.

17. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

You're an idiot. It's a great album.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

It is, it really is a good record.

Is it as good as his 1970-76 output? No. Of course not...but what is?? On it's own merits it's a good album.

EddieT likes this.
  19. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The album as a whole is very enjoyable. I enjoy many of the chord progressions and melodies-reminds me a lot of Reg Strikes Back.

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Seems a bit reminiscent of the Caribou cover to me. He looks kinda dorky, grinning wide like a madman with that gap-tooth smile of his.

21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Don't they go on Spotify or something like that?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Not as yet. The regular bonus tracks are there, though.

23. Bobby Morrow

fredblue and David Campbell like this.
  24. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

fredblue and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

He seemed impressed by Corden full stop.:D

bob60 and fredblue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.