Would you edit Mickey Rooney out of Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Enjoy!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...e-waiter-routine-censored-off-youtube.325742/

2. Oatsdad

BTW, as atrocious as I find Rooney's performance to be, in no way to endorse altering the movie. Art shouldn't be changed to reflect changes in social concepts - it reflects its time and should stay that way...

Al Kuenster and ralphb like this.
  3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

4. Oatsdad

That thread is the poster child for the "stupid PC society!" mindset - and the thread existed solely due to a fallacy, as the OP thought the Hackett routine had been "censored", which it hadn't... :sigh:

Dan C and RayS like this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I would CGI him out and replace him with Jabba The Hutt! :laugh:

Or Charlie Chan! :rolleyes:

Hey, isn't the Beverly Hillbillies dad in this movie? Or am I confusing it with another Hepburn? Or confusing him with somebody else? Or just confused? :p

6. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

I don't particularly see that performance or role as non-PC, offensive, racist, etc. but I do see it as incredibly lame and annoying. I wouldn't say his part should be cut from every copy in existence, but If there were an alternate version without that character I think I'd enjoy more, and it would be a better film.

7. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Seriously, 9 out of 10 russians portrayed in Hollywood movies (up to the latest Homeland Season 5 and Bridge of Spies) are ridiculous caricatures. Thankfully russians are not so easily offended, rather amused by the Hollywood cheese and utter lack of taste. We prefer to laugh at Hollywood moronic russophobia rather than whine about it and never make a big deal about it.

8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I would edit out Mickey Rooney from "Tiffany's", then I'd find another film to splice him into, say "Out Of Africa", or, since he's already in it, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".

Dan

superstar19 likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Right. Hepburn makes her all warm and fuzzy and sophisticated when Capote saw her as a bit of a hustling hick. What modern actress would make a good modern Holly? Maybe Hillary Swank or Kate Mara (in her pushy "House of Cards" mode).

10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

If I could travel back in time and be a film editor, yes.

Now? No. It's a part of history.

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah Germans or English are usually stereotyped as bad guys, or Indians playing Arabs etc. Look for the good ' my huckleberry friend '.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  12. EdogawaRampo

I see your point, but slippery slope I'd say.

I think there's plenty to make fun of about my race and the only time it bugs me is if the mockery just isn't borne out in reality. Otherwise I think it's fair game. I live where my particular race gets a lot of razing and sometimes it's pretty funny and true. Other times, not so much but way it goes. I don't spend huge amounts of time worrying about it.

John B likes this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

John B likes this.
  14. alexpop

Another pc thing that irritates me.
    Why just is ok for men to be in the buff in movies now, but not women ?

15. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

In the film commentary by producer Richard Shepherd, he acknowledges that casting Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi was more or less of a mistake, and mentioned he would have preferred a Japanese actor for that part instead. That would not have changed the character or the script, but perhaps would have made the role less of a caricature. Personally, I don't see anything racist about the role itself.

16. alexpop

Another pc thing very scant full frontal nudity, plenty boys with toys (guns)movies. Perhaps I'm alone in this observation.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's because 9 out of ten Russians in Hollywood films are played the same man!

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Once again, Antonkk never mentioned the word "racist" he just said Mickey Rooney's awful performance ruins an otherwise good movie. And I'm not picking on you, Khaki. I'm just feeling bad for Antonkk!

Okay, let's put it in a way that people on the Web will understand: If George Lucas were to go back and digitally erase Jar-Jar Binks, would Star Wars Ep. 1 be a movie better?" o_O

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  19. alexpop

This is my last post in this thread.
    I only like Audrey Hepburn and Henry Mancini's score in this movie.

20. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

Hands up anyone who can tell the difference between Hollywood's stereotyping of Englishmen as cold, suave and dangerous and this movie's depiction of a Japanese man as a barely human, incomprehensible, ugly figure of fun.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Good luck here. You're doing the opposite of preaching to the choir. :)

22. Oatsdad

There's a big difference between a caricatured take on a nationality than there is a caricatured view of a race - especially when the members of that race have been treated poorly solely due to their skin color.

If you think this just comes down to "some people are too sensitive", then I don't know what to say... :shake:

Pete Puma likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

:wave:

Apparently we're supposed to see Rooney's performance as just being "poking fun" or whatever. Hey, depicting a non-white as sub-human is just the same as making a French guy afraid of conflict!

Um, sure... :sigh:

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yes, and when the young Asian-Americans in the video clip I posted respond to Rooney's performance by saying it is "dehumanizing" they're just being overly sensitive. Can't they take a joke?

Oatsdad likes this.
  25. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I wouldn't. Just leave it be a preservation of that era. I never was a HUGE fan of that movie, but enjoyed it because I enjoy some things George Peppard did before the A-Team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.