Apple lossless resolution question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by scorp997, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorp997

scorp997 Forum Resident Thread Starter

does anyone know if cds that are ripped using apple lossless maintain the original cd resolution? For example, if a cd was a 96/24 format, would the lossless file still be ripped to that or does apple convert it to 44.1k during import? Itunes shows all of my imports as 44.1 regardless of what the original cd was. I suppose itunes could be indicating what the playback of this file would be....

A second half of this question is regarding cd burning of a apple lossless file. Does it convert the file back to the same hires file as the original cd? Will this burned cd be truly bit perfect to the original?

Thanks in advance
    -John

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

ALAC supports 24/96 (and higher), but CDs are 16/44.1. If you are importing a CD, then you will always have 16/44.1 files.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you have a 24/96 (or higher) FLAC or WAV file and you convert it to ALAC then yes it will have the same resolution.

4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Related question -- CAF files. When dubbing, they allow you to specify the bitrate but not sampling. My guess is that that would be adjustable on playback on up to whatever your recorded at and whatever the playback gear was capable of. Is that right?

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

There is no such thing as a 24/96 CD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.