Anyone else like the group Slade?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaveyF, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Randy Rhoads QR association was brief and not represented by any releases outside of Japan.
    Very few people in 1983 were aware that Rhoads was even a member of QR.

The Metal Health album sold 6 million copies and initiated North America's reintroduction to Slade.

Alex Yari and Rocketdog like this.
  2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I don't want Wings hoisted into the Superstar bracket like The Beatles were. T. Rex and Slade can have that.

PAUL McCARTNEY , Aberdeen Press 9/12/71

Michel_LeGrisbi likes this.
  3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just a quick check around the web, but is Jim Lea the only member of Slade to release anything along the lines of a solo career?
    I don't consider Slade 2 as solo work.

Darryl

4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Yes as far as I know, Noddy said recently that he feels he has a solo album in him, but so far nothing.

5. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

They were a big part of my life in 5th-6th grade, but I quickly moved on. I still own the the original vinyl for Slayed? and Sladest and still enjoy them on occasion. A fond memory of my youth in the early 70's.

rstamberg likes this.
  6. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Any albums worth checking out post Nobody Fools?

7. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Dave Hill had a solo project in the late 80s-early 90s called Blessings in Disguise. He began work on an album, with each song featuring different lead vocalists, but it was never released and I don't know if it was even completed or not. A single from these sessions was released however, namely a cover of Crying in the Rain backed with an original song called Wild Nights (written by Dave Hill and former Wizzard keyboardist Bill Hunt), which featured Noddy Holder on lead vocals - both these songs are sometimes attributed to Slade because of this, but they both made it clear in interviews that it was strictly Dave Hill's project and that Noddy Holder was the guest singer. One of the unreleased songs was a cover of (Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I and another was an original called What Are We Fighting For which originally featured Noddy Holder and Ruby Turner on lead vocals, but her record company complained that it was "too heavy for her" so she got replaced by someone else. There was another Blessings in Disguise single released in 1991, Chance to Be b/w You're the Reason I'm Strong, featuring Norma Lewis and Michael Ryan on lead vocals, but these aren't from the album sessions (Norma Lewis would later provide the backing vocals on Slade's Red Hot).

Noddy Holder did a solo track in his own right in 1988 called Tear Into the Weekend, but it wasn't released officially and only got airplay on radio stations in Canada (it was written for a Pepsi radio advert and he was brought in to sing the lead vocal - I have no idea who wrote or produced it). He's also released some solo rerecordings of Slade songs, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcjetZs6Yxg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Alex Yari and Imagine70 like this.
  8. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Well, "Power Supply/Kamikaze Syndrome" is good, "Nobody's Fools" was their last consistent record....

jl151080 likes this.
  9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Where the heck is my Slade box? It shipped weeks ago from the U.K.

10. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I could tolerate "Coz I Luv You" and bought a couple of 45s but T. Rex and Bowie were far deeper and more interesting to me. They were never as big as T. Rextasy. I liked Jim Lea as a musician and thought he should have been in T. Rex :)

Groggy likes this.
  11. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Yes, it was a comment along the lines of "I don't want Wings to get hoisted into the superstar barcket let Slade and ---- have that".

12. 12stringbassist

www.slayed.co.uk has a full discography, including solo releases.

13. 12stringbassist

The Daily Mail story is a cut and paste from a longer Noddy Holder interview used by many magazines, papers etc. While it is true that the four of them were in a room for a specific meeting a few years ago and that they didn't get on at that meeting, there are other issues than the money from the Christmas hit that are causing this. Lea and Hill have had niggling issues for years. Holder is not exactly blameless either. He makes it sound like he got them in a room and was aghast when they argued. Nod always makes himself look like the good guy.

Hill and Powell certainly have no expectation of songwriting royalties when they did not write songs for the band beyond the first couple of years at Polydor. The Mail article is misleading on that point and is a really nasty piece of spin.

14. 12stringbassist

Marc would never have tolerated someone else having ideas in his band!

Check this link out, by the way... https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...EIRzAL#v=onepage&q=jim lea marc bolan&f=false

bob60 and sound chaser like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Sounds like the Mail all over!

Jarleboy and Imagine70 like this.
  16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Haven't been to the site in awhile.

Darryl

17. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Indeed - I had a number of their albums "back in the day".

18. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I think the proper pronunciation is "Slar-day".

keef00 likes this.
  19. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply was in heavy rotation on my setlist back in '84.

Steve Litos likes this.
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Do Dave And Don get any royalties at all from Slade?

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Well if touring as Slade 2 is any indication...I'd guess no.

Darryl

22. 12stringbassist

Don has a number of co-writes.
    Dave only has a couple.

23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

**** yeah!!!!
    And Macca says Hi Hi Hi.

24. GroovySoundz

GroovySoundz Active Member

I love Slade. I grew up listening to them, a lot of their hits remind me of growing up in the 70s. And 'Merry Christmas Everybody' is Noddy Holders pension , as he says, and its played all the time here in UK at Christmas. Slade started out as as 'skinhead / suedehead' band catoring for the fashion at the time, then swiftly moved into the rock / glam style of the 70s, and released rock music in the early 80s. I still play their albums , great stuff. Noddy does a lot of TV advert voiceovers nowadays and is a DJ, the remaining band still tour , with whats left of them. Infact, Noddy is a 'national treasure' here in the UK and regarded as a bit of a grandfather of rock.

25. A great band.
    My second eldest bro was a massive fan....even thru the lean years of 77' to 80'.
    I went to many gigs on their second coming after the Reading festival of 1980.
    I enjoy all their albums up to 1983....after that they seemed to lose direction somewhat.
    Have a particular softspot for Slade On Stage, which covered the 80-82 live period brilliantly.

MonkeysCantSwing likes this.