Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Re: Come Dance with Me 1970s/1980s reissue LP:

The trick to finding these on Ebay -- unless they actually list a catalog number, in which case it's a no-brainer -- is to look at the pictures of the front cover. The Capitol logo is in the upper right, but on the SM and SN releases, the "A Capitol Records High Fidelity Recording" mark (immediately below the Capitol logo) is replaced by "A Capitol Re-issue."

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    DLant likes this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I still really like the sound on the N14 side twos as well. No idea if there's a vintage side one to match or better it sonically.

Simon A, DLant and MLutthans like this.
  3. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Question...is this thread Capitol & Reprise...or, Capitol only.
    If it is Reprise also I am listening to the "All Alone" cd today
    What a great album.

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

So have any of our guys with "elephant ears" (and I say that respectfully and in awe of) gotten their mitts on the UME SFSL yet? I am dying to hear what the general audiophile consensus is of this new pressing.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

kennyluc1 likes this.
  6. kennyluc1

thanks...Bob.

Bob F likes this.
  7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I picked up a copy of this earlier in the week and it sounds wonderful. On top of that, the pressing was perfect. Literally not a single sound but the music throughout.

CBackley, JazzFanatic and bozburn like this.
  8. kennyluc1

Got it!!!

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

I just discovered I have a minty version with the SN number. After I got the Silver box I never played it again - now I will! Sometimes these fancy sets make one lose sight of what you already own…..

10. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

minty fresh?

11. kennyluc1

I have a question for the experts. "Surrey With The Fringe On Top" was there a matrix number assigned to the title ?
    at the session (July 18, 1979) what order would that title have come. Of the 3 titles documented (only 2 were released)
    would "Surrey" presumed, have started the session or ended it.

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

It was not mastered, so there was no number assigned. Session reports list the rehearsal take as the MIDDLE song of the session, between "Let's Face the Music and Dance" (first) and "It Had To Be You" (last). (Note that the master numbers for those two other songs are in REVERSE numerical order: XCA-9298 for the first, XCA-9297 for the last.)

[Added:] "Let's Face the Music" had instrumental overdubs added at a later session (September 19, 1979, which is the date assigned to the released master).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    kennyluc1 likes this.
  13. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Speaking of "Trilogy" Jonathan Schwartz said last week that right after Sinatra recorded "NY,NY" he "rehearsed" "April In Paris".

kennyluc1 likes this.
  14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It's in the liner notes of that album that he rehearsed it to see if the key was in need of change before taking it out on the road and putting it back in the book.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  15. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

did he happen to talk about how Sinatra had him fired for trashing Trilogy on the air?

16. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

How Sinatra did it was talking to John Kluge.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Minty as in it looks brand new.

18. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

Ordered "Songs For Swingin" Lovers" vinyl. Have most of the UME reissues...they are all superb. Based on the reviews here, I won't be disappointed.

19. kennyluc1

Thanks guy's for the info, I try to stay up to date on Frank info.

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Cmon, no one else have the UMe of SFSL yet????

21. MLutthans

After hitting three local shops and a Barnes & Noble, I finally gave up on finding the new version of SFSL locally (which saddens me, as I always prefer supporting local brick-and-mortar shops, when possible). I ordered it on Thursday from Amazon, which is headquartered 36 miles from my house, and it's apparently being shipped by cat, as it's not scheduled to arrive until this coming Saturday. (I often get packages within two days, even if I choose the free shipping option, as I did here, but I suspect the LPs are in a facility back in Tennessee or something, not in nearby Seattle.) SEPTEMBER OF MY YEARS is in the same shipment, by the way.

I need these LPs like I need a hole in the head, so I'm counting on gold-plated sound quality from these puppies! (Puppies being shipped by cat? That's trouble.)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I must say that I have been extremely pleased with Amazon with my purchases during Sinatra 100. Perhaps it is because their huge West Coast distribution center is in San Bernardino, but I have received my packages at my doorstep a day or two prior to the stated delivery date! They have some new thingy now in which they turn packages over to USPS at some point (which frankly scared the hell out of me at first!) and that is how they get delivered more easily to your door. Color me "impressed".

As far as SOMY I have enough copies of that album on LP and CD to take me thru to the September of my years in my NEXT life! So I shall pass.

However, you know we are all hanging on for your every word once you play SFSL a few dozen times.

Simon A likes this.
  23. MLutthans

"A few dozen times....." hint well taken. ;)

I love Amazon.com, and buy a lot of stuff from them (music and otherwise), usually with fast shipping, even when I cheap out (shipping-wise) as I did here. The nine-day delivery timeframe on this one is unusual, definitely.

The *only* reason that I bought these two titles, really, is that I had an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my wallet. I've got, for instance, 7 LP copies of SEPTEMBER, including the one that Kevin Gray cut a few years back. Gotta say: I wonder sometimes just who the target audience is for these releases and how well any of them sell.

Simon A and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Forgive me if this is repeating. But I can almost assure you that if word gets out that SFSL and Swingin' Affair! (once released on UME LP) are even close to being as good as their SACD's they will be the best sellers of the bunch.

aza14782, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

Do you think it's as good as the MFSL SACD?