Help with badly warped records. Los Angeles area.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rufusbass, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rufusbass

rufusbass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apart from the putting records in the sun under sheet glass or in a moderate heated oven-which I DON'T wish to do.....Has anyone tried the machines that claim to flatten warped lps?
    If anyone is in the LA area and has one, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee to have my records fixed on that. I have two or poss three lps needing attention!

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Please read this carefully -- no one has ever repaired a warped record by putting it between two panes of glass and leaving it in the sun or in an oven. Never. You can flatten the record, but the groove will suffer even more damage from this treatment. If the record is badly warped, it's history, sorry. If the record has a minor to moderate warp, maybe you can fix it, but not by the method you mention. There is a rather costly device that will flatten an edge warp, I haven't used it, but I know people who have and either fixed a small warp or lessened a moderate warp. The only method I've used that works is putting a pile of heavy things on the album for about six months, but it doesn't fix a bad warp. Nothing does, sorry..

audiomixer likes this.
  3. rufusbass

Hey thanks for the response...
    I'm commencing with the two 35 lb speaker cabinets placed on the record (with an old ha;f album cover as a buffer between the cabinet and record..The record is then being pressed against a pretty level hardwood floor...I'm going to give it a few months and see...

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Back in the 80's my friend pressed up an LP and sent me a copy. It was horribly warped, unplayable. I tucked it away between other records and forgot about it. A few years later someone offered me some dough for it and when I pulled it out it was perfectly flat and played fine.

5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I had a dished LP which I placed in a record frame and kept it there all summer. It flattened out pretty decently when I took it out months later.

6. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

7. rufusbass

Does the success depend on type of warp? Dish versus edge for instance?
    R

8. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

A consistent dish warp is one of the easiest to fix. Also, a pronounced but gradual overall warp will respond well to the Vinyl Flat.

The records I can't seem to reshape perfectly are the ones with small edge warps, especially the "speed bump" variety. And if the vinyl has a wavyness or ripple effect to the surface, it's unlikely that can be improved, in my experience.

Overall, I'm happy with the Vinyl Flat, it's repaired or at least improved quite a few records in my collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.