Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

It's just a pity about sound quality. I believe the initial releases were mostly airchecks made by the BBC (and sound very good), but some subsequent releases have been from off-air recordings.

2. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

As I understand it Kathryn Stott has accompanied Yo-Yo Ma on many of his recordings and performances, and her website says this disc is "a way of celebrating their 30 year partnership."

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Zehetmair is an excellent violinist. I have some Bach violin piece by him ...:righton:

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Poulenc - Chamber Music" performed by Pascal Roge, Patrick Gallois, Maurice Bourgue, Michel Portal, Amaury Wallez and Andre Cazalet on London.
    • Sextour pour piano, flute, hautbois, clarinette, basson et cor
    • Sonate pour clarinette et piano
    • Sonate pour flute et piano
    • Sonate pour hautbois et piano
    • Trio pour piano, hautbois et basson

[​IMG]

Mik, TonyACT and George P like this.
  5. coopmv

Pascal Roge made two recordings of Erik Satie's works. They are my favorites ...

bluemooze and George P like this.
  6. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Antonin Dvorak – Symphony No.8 Op.88
    — Columbia Symphony Orchestra – Bruno Walter (Sony Classical) from:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra/Ein Heldenleben" performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra led by Fritz Reiner on RCA.

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A friend recently brought up this disc in an email, so I thought I'd give it a listen since it's been a while. I had forgotten what wonderful and staggeringly difficult pieces they are, as well as how fantastically Scherbakov plays them. Apparently, this disc is out of print, as it sells for $39 to $995 on Amazon! (My friend lost his copy and I researched availability for him.) While I wouldn't pay nearly $1000 for it, 71 minutes of virtuoso music, wonderfully played and recorded for $40 isn't too terrible.

[​IMG]

Mik, dale 88, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  9. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra? If so, Rattle's old crowd.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Was just looking at this new Richter set from Melodiya on Amazon. Whopper of a price. George, et al., do you have this? Like it? More or less important than DG, Decca, etc.? Cheers everybody

11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

My All Music Guide to Classical just arrived; 1600 pages plus!

It's exactly what I was looking for - composer and conductor biographies and analysis of key works are the core - plus lots and lots of program notes (the sort of things that usually come as liner notes in CDs). It is ideal for all those mega boxed sets I have where the liner notes have been dispensed with. It also has detailed synopses of numerous operas. Thanks again to all here for the advice on various books. As noted earlier it has recommended recordings but is NOT a CD buyer's guide (I wasn't looking for one of those).

bluemooze likes this.
  12. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I don't have it, but George et al do and seem pretty impressed. Out of my league as far as price goes but apparently it really is a limited release and is likely to get more expensive as the restricted number of copies are sold.

13. coopmv

I am fine with not having it since I am already spread pretty thin, i.e. piano works are not my only focus ...

TonyACT likes this.
  14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Mozart - Symphonies Nos. 40 & 41" performed by the Wiener Philharmoniker led by Leonard Bernstein on DG.

[​IMG]

Mik, Wes H, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  15. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Ah, nothing like quoting myself ;)

Following hot on the heels of parcel delivery, the mailman dropped my bluray copy of Immortal Beloved in the mail just now. I haven't watched it for years but recall that Solti did a fine job with the music; while I remember the film itself not being great there were some memorable scenes. It has 20th Anniversary Edition plastered all over the box but doesn't appear to come with any Extras.

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  16. coopmv

This is a favorite and owned by a number of folks at CMC, myself included ...

17. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I'll have to give it a try. There were a number of works conducted by Bernstein in the DG 24 Hours box I listened to and I must say that while they were serviceable I wasn't impressed with his conducting. They were mostly Live recordings so maybe I need to listen to some of his studio work.

18. coopmv

For Bernstein's recordings made after the mid 70's, I prefer his partnership with the VPO as the NYPO went into a steep decline after Bernstein left the orchestra ...

19. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Klemperer, I think, is a titanic Brahms conductor because he searches and realizes every phrase and every sonority for its best orchestral timbre, balance and texture...not through sentimentality, but by supreme knowledge of the score and letting Brahms' orchestration truly speak for itself.

NorthNY Mark, Robin L and TonyACT like this.
  20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It's available from classicsonlinhd for $5.99 for CD quality FLAC. The link might be behind a login. It's automatically logging me in.

http://shop.classicsonlinehd.com/albums/53c8ab0c9d29c95d360014fd?type=download

bluemooze likes this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yes, recent CMC posts regarding it prompted me to buy it. $0.01 + shipping from Amazon MP. :)

TonyACT likes this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

23. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I have it. Just finished my first listen through the set today, actually. LOVE the set. A shame it is limited edition, because this is the best Richter set ever assembled. Why?

1. Richter preferred to play live. This whole set is live.
    2. He preferred to play in Russia. This entire set was recorded in Russia.
    3. Richter was at his peak in the 60s and 70s, when this set was recorded.
    4. The sound is excellent, no NR and clear, solid overall sound throughout.
    5. The presentation is gorgeous. (though the cases bled through a bit, unfortunately.)

I made a short unboxing video that I posted on youtube:

SBurke, TonyACT and bluemooze like this.
  24. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Thanks - good to know. There are most likely a few in the 65 CD VPO box that arrived the other day. I have only just peeked into it so far and sampled one CD.

geralmar likes this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Brahms/Tchaikovsky - Violin Concertos" performed by Erica Morini with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra led by Artur Rodzinski on Westminster.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and TonyACT like this.