Do You Buy Less From Sellers With Poorly Spaced Merchandise?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MYQ1, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

If the album is something I want and in the right condition, I'll buy it. Many of the used LPs I buy are from places that have all of the problems that the OP lists.

Scott

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I only shop online, so no.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Ha! Your post reminds me of when I'd hunker down and read each and every Goldmine ad for various rare, import, promo, etc items...I know ad space is costly, but holy cowabunga!

Some vendors would try to cram all their product on the page. Oh, to what desperate means I'd go to looking for some "import" Velvet Underground or REM or .....
    It's amazing I didn't become bug-eyed.

4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't really go to record shows any more, but when I did I walked right past guys who had lps stuffed in boxes so tight you couldn't flip through them quickly.
    I can go through a LOT of vinyl quick without missing a lick if they are contained in such a way as to be able to do so.

At shows I never wasted time looking through a bunch of albums that were presented in such a way that I could look through the stuff 3 other vendors had in the same amount of time.

MYQ1 likes this.
  5. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Or E-Bayers who can't be bothered with track-listings.

lightbulb likes this.
  6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Track listings? Don't most buyers on ebay already know what they're shopping for? I know I do.

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Badly spaced, poorly organized bins usually indicate easy pickings.

Dave S likes this.
  8. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I've been in there where there's been stacks of vinyl on the floor and which had been leaning against the bins, but had been knocked over and the vinyl scattered about--not just in one spot in the store (which may have been a very recent occurrence), but in several. And there's been a lot of evidence that people have just been walking over those records. I mean, it's madness. What are the employees thinking? Where is management? Where is the owner??

(of course, I think that now, or at least once, the answer to the last was, "He's Dead", right? That crazy dude Armand Schaubroeck? There used to be really bizarre billboard ads in the region with a picture of the guy lying there with a bullet in the middle of his forehead. "A Lot of People Want Armand Schaubroeck...DEAD." I'm pretty sure I heard he died not too long ago. People should check out his story. Here's a good link to get started:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/armandschaubroeck.html

9. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Wow... I've been there, but it's been years. And, I KNOW what you mean. But I did find some interesting stuff before my son would start spazzing out,(his way of getting me out of there) We'd leave and he'd tell his mother, "works every time mom":laugh:

10. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I used to do the same thing with Goldmine back in the day. I upgraded my subscription to first class mail and my wife would go to the post office on the day it (should) be there and stand there like this :waiting:, until they found it and out it in our p.o. box..... and if it wasn't there?... this happened next...:wantsome:

lightbulb likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I am a CD buyer. I'm not searching things that are in boxes on the floor. Save for the "new arrivals" section I am not searching through displays of CDs tossed in willy nilly order. It is not worth my time for the off chance I might actually find something I want.

For sake of the "quick" browse I much prefer stores that display with the printed spine visible rather than the top of the jewel case that requires flipping through each CD in an area of interest. When you shop frequently and with little time to spend these little things are helpful.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Unorganized records don't bother me too much, but if it looks like this I move on.

Darryl

13. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I'm not deaf to those stating Time (spent browsing) is Money.
    Very true.
    However, which kind of dealer is more apt to be selling an underpriced rarity (Extreme case = Butcher cover):
    A well organized seller that keeps things in alphabetical order.
    OR
    An "out of touch" dealer that doesn't know his own inventory?

14. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Very true -- which is why I always feel a twinge of regret was I pass up those dealers with unorganized collections.
    If you want to find gold, chances are you'll probably have to pan for it; you're not going to find it just laying out in the open.

greelywinger and lightbulb like this.
  15. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Went to my local record store today.
    The CDs were in some nice racks but reading from the spine every title was backwards.
    Looked through for about 5 mins & felt cross-eyed.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  16. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

When that happens to me, I grab a handful of stuff <enough to give me flippin' room> and pull it out and place it next to me or on the floor and keep on gettin' up. :bdance:

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't even browse poorly spaced LP's. If it looks like I have to pull out 5 LP's just to flip through the section, I'm outta there. Can't trust the product to not be shopworn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.