2016 Superbowl Commercials [many embeds]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I figured that there had to be some ulterior motive for the name drop. No way that a multimillionaire like Peyton would still be drinking that p*sswater.

junk likes this.
  2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

You apparently still think that money buys good taste. :shh: I agree that the Bud namedrop sounded and felt just too weird. Nothing is authentic about this whole league anyway, so why should this moment be.

Back on topic, the Audi ad knocked my socks off. Beautiful production, car and concept. Also dedicated to the "Starman" in small scrip below at the end as well. Loved it.

The Snickers ad was great, but the surprise factor was long gone since I'd seen it at least a few times before last night. Shame they insist on releasing them days before on YouTube to stir up hype. Kind of self defeating in the long run, IMHO.

The Doritos ads were OK, but nothing...and I mean nothing...beats "Goat 4 Sale" from a few years back. One of my faves of all time.

Overall a pretty ho hum year. They played it safe, dialed back the attempt at drama and tear jerking in favor of light and frivolous.

dan c

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

That was about as edgy as a nerfball.

4. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

It is a Hollywood trend. Search for "orange and teal". Sorry, once you start seeing it, you can't unseen it and you'll realize just how awful everything is being made to look these days. Some shows go so over the top with the blue tint stuff that people's teeth and the whites of their eyes glow blue.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Hooray for the most awkward use of the word unseen in a sentence, ever, I bet! However, concerning this blue allegation, Have you heard about Raspberries ? Supposedly safe, wholesome berries are turning everybody blue. At this point there's measurable Raspberry dust in the air everywhere, even in Antarctica. The evidence from the Folsom Institute is undeniable. Now, Azureatosis is the word.... ;)

Robert M. likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

That spot was color-timed by Stefan Sonnenfeld at Company 3, the highest-paid colorist in the world. Trust me, everything you saw in it (teal or otherwise) was intentionally created for that look. I thought it was beautiful, I think all the technical elements were perfect, and it also had a nice message... plus it made you remember the car. That's pretty much what a commercial is intended to do.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Dan C likes this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Oh I wasn't complaining - maybe I didn't make myself clear. I thought the slight blue/green tint to the flashbacks from the early '70s - the astronaut scenes - was absolutely brilliant, because that's exactly what high-quality film looked like at the time. It often had that slight blue/green tint back then.

What I was wondering is, why was that the case from the late '60s thru the early '70s? Was there some technological reason? Or was it just a style, like the current visual craze to crazy tint most films (especially action flicks)?

8. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

We were 'treated' to this musical tag for a plumber a couple of times. The full ad ran in local commercial time and an outtake reel is out there, too.

9. Vidiot

I don't think it did. I think it's just a perception. Note that they also added synthetic film grain to the 1960s/1970s "vintage" material in the commercial, even though it was actually shot digitally last year, all for the nostalgic look.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'm grateful that I had the sound muted when the Xifaxan IBS Super Bowel commercial came on. There are some things I don't need to hear while I'm trying to enjoy a TV program. Like the phrase "Tell your doctor right away if your diarrhea worsens while taking Xifaxan as this may be a sign of a serious or even fatal condition". Eew :hurl:

11. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

I'm guessing the traditional Super Bowl meal of nachos, guacamole, buffalo wings and Budweiser worsens diarrhea more than a pill does.

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That dog/monkey/baby commercial was the worst of the bunch. I feel dumber after seeing it.

Hightops and Mark Nelson like this.
  13. Rachael Bee

That was my first impulse upon seeing Puppy-Monkee-Babies, however the concept has possibilities galore. P-M-B's sack York, attack Peru, terrorize Chicago, defeat Zombies....on and on. Yeah, it was wasted on that commercial, nobody got bitten! :evil:

14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

After many instances of subjecting friends to "Running with the devil" acapella on YouTube, it was awesome for it to show up during the Super Bowl. I was so happy that my favorite part, the "wooooo, wooOOOOO" part made it.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Dunno where you are - I think Michael and Sons is a local DC firm, but they may have branches elsewhere.

If they are solely local, it's startling that they got Mike Tyson! Don't know if that's a positive sign for M&S's financial prowess or a bad sign for Tyson's! :D

robertawillisjr likes this.
  16. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

death wish coffee is a local outfit who won their ad time through a contest. good coffee. hopefully they can handle what follows.

http://www.deathwishcoffee.com/

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

They are here in Hampton Roads, VA. I think they and Bud's are in many areas nationwide.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I saw this again late last night - I was really hoping that was one that wouldn't air again.

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Late to the party here...I forgot to mention that here in So Cal (as it was a local commercial) Uber offered free rides for 2 up to 2 hrs. after the final whistle using a promo code. That is quite admirable!!!!!

20. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

http://wpo.st/96MA1

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I looked at their website and it appears they're solely DC/VA/MD/NC. They go as far south as Charlotte and as far north as Frederick...

22. Vidiot

PuppyMonkeyBaby was one of those things where you scream "my eyes! My eyes!" after seeing it. It's funny for :30 seconds, but... :sigh:

I liked this commercial more than Ron Howard's recent In the Heart of the Sea. In fact, I think the commercial had better special effects.

23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The spot I'll remember most is the announcement about "The Good Wife". I don't think I've seen an announcement about a show's cancellation done quite like this; usually it's just a press release. I about nearly fell off my chair. There were rumblings, but nothing was official until that. With all of the show's troubles ratings and backstage-wise I still thought the network would give it a 13 episode victory lap next year.

24. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

25. Rachael Bee

I wonder if Peyton had to kiss a few of those to get those beer distributorships...? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.