Saw Jorma Kaukonen Saturday night-wow!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by padreken, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padreken

padreken Senior Member Thread Starter

As my buddy (who plays the guitar) said, this guy put on a clinic. Incredible technique and musicality, just sublime music and the dynamic range of his Martin D45 was given an awesome showcase-truly a superlative musician. The audience was rapt, with occasional spontaneous applause for particularly beautiful passages.

Don't miss him if he comes anywhere near you.

2. He is so great. I've seen him many times. I friend of mine goes to his guitar camp at his Ohio ranch each year. He says it's great and friends like Casady and others show up and perform.

https://furpeaceranch.com

chacha likes this.
  3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

He is opening for Tedeschi Trucks but not on the night I am going and its a bit of a bummer! He was great at Dear Jerry.

5. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Did he say anything about the recent passings of Kantner and Signe Anderson?

6. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Jorma is great....ALL of Jefferson Airplane were great. Im glad he is still performing. Wish he and Jack would do another Hot Tuna album.

4xoddic likes this.
  7. padreken

padreken Senior Member Thread Starter

He mentioned Paul in the context of the great ones we have lost recently, and then recounted a conversation he had with (I believe) Grace Slick, who spoke with David Crosby and mentioned how sad it all was, and Crosby's response was well, sh#t, man-we're old.

wayne66, JoeRockhead and reb like this.
  8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Some things never change.

Long live Jorma!

JDeanB and Mazzy like this.
  9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I was just checking his website the other day and was disappointed to see that he didn't have any shows scheduled anywhere in Texas for the remainder of the year. I missed the last show that was nearby about a year ago, but noticed that ticket prices had increased significantly over the last time I'd seen him. Not sure how much of that was due to a different venue, but I'd have still gladly paid it if I'd been able to go. If anyone's worth seeing live, it's Jorma.

10. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I saw him once back in 1984 in Dingwall's, London. One of my favourite gigs. Unfortunately, he rarely tours Europe.

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great player. I love Embryonic Journey.

Remurmur likes this.
  12. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Jorma is one of those artists who is incredible when performing with just his acoustic guitar or when performing within a band context with Hot Tuna.

See him if at all possible. You will not regret it ...:)

padreken likes this.
  13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

He is a great guitarist, and always delivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.