Lady Gaga National Anthem

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tdavis0903, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think I said this earlier, but if this board had existed in 1991, I suspect Whitney would've been roasted! :D

Whitney's performance was much showier and "over the top" than Gaga's. People loved it, though - I think largely because it was during the Gulf War and people wanted a big embrace of patriotism...

audiotom, PHILLYQ, Grant and 4 others like this.
  2. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Spot-on!

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Her extra notes didn't sour the emotional impact for me. I'm glad I watched it; very emotional.

audiotom and Grant like this.
  4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It was plenty showy but in a very different way. Gospelly not Broadwayish. Much more to my personal taste. But I suspect you're correct, it would have been hammered here.

Grant and stodgers like this.
  5. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

The difference between the two is authenticity. That quality differs from each individual's perspective, and is entirely subjective. It's like watching a politician speech and figuring out whether you believe they mean anything they are saying. I have no opinions on Gaga at all, it was just how I felt watching her in that moment: it was an inauthentic performance to me.

zen likes this.
  6. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Understood. But that's what she is. She's a performer, and that was a performance. Doesn't mean vocally she wasn't 'all in". Just means she salt & peppered it with a touch of her own choreography. David Crosby with a 12-string would have handled it differently but that's not what the Super Bowl wants. They ordered the "Lady GaGa special" from the menu and got exactly what they wanted. And I think it was awesome.
    Got goosebumps when I heard it at a very crowded, loud party and played it at home last night to make sure it was as good as I had thought it was, and I got goosebumps all over again. (despite seeing all the sticky-spit in her mouth on my 70" 4k tv :))

audiotom likes this.
  7. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I just watched it - really good performance and I guess the convention that has developed of melismatic singing is kind of what America is all about - everyone adds their own touch - anyway, with respect to that: I thought her melismas were creative, and not the same old same old- there was a broken chord thing that I quite liked.

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  8. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Had never heard that term. That helps me understand why I don't like certain performances if that's a 'style'.

9. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I've watched this several times. I am convinced that she did NOT lip sync.
    Everyone says the powers that be, WANT it to be lip synced. Wrong.
    Christina Aguilera didn't. If Lady did lip sync, it was darn near perfect.

Grant likes this.
  10. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Add 20 years to anything, and it gets "better." The past formerly "died" a lot quicker, but with all types of social media and electronic repositories preserving the past at one's fingertips, most viewers are now able to take a piece of documented evidence of the past, and then color in their own percentages of romanticism and nostalgia to fill in the rest.

In 1980, everyone lost their minds because Cheryl Ladd came out and sang the national anthem. Y'know, it was disrespectful because, uh, she didn't "deserve the honor" or some such... The older gents around my world (those over 40) thought only real singers deserved to sing the national anthem at such an important events... not a mere TV actress known for running around in a bathing suit.

It's all a "fond memory" now to those who were young then and still alive now:

Oatsdad and Lonson like this.
  11. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I thought she looked great and sounded great.

audiotom likes this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ow! My ears hurt!

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Oh cool, I didn't know she was going to sing Bowie. That should be interesting and hopefully good.
    You might want to try to find her Sound of Music tribute at the last Oscars (pretty sure it was the Oscars), she was great, and I'm not a fan of her pop music.

mmars982 likes this.
  14. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Here it is in it's entirety for anyone that may not have seen it yet. Personally, I think it's sensational,
    as was her National Anthem last night.......

15. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Loved it.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Eep - that isn't a fond memory to me, and I owned Ladd's first two albums! :help:

17. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Yeah well, Gaga shouldnt be flat out ripping off Madonna songs, and maybe her fans, of which I am NOT one, will not be so rabid. If she is so great, she shouldnt be so damn lazy and blatantly rip off melodies.

18. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

u think your national anthem is bad?
    have you heard mine?
    (i think she did great)

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Which melodies did she "rip off".

I'll wait.

20. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

"Born this Way". Dead ringer for "express yourself". She ain't the first or last, in her defence. But still poor.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Come on, Gary. You know what's wrong with Coldplay. They aren't in their 60s, bald, and fat.

susyredstripe likes this.
  22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's a terrible song?

:wtf:

23. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

She's got chops and she proved it. I didn't really care for her rendition because; as with everything she does, it was over the top and all about her. I guess it suits the overblown pretense of the entire event, but the event gets less and less "super" every year.

She was better than that half-time show.

24. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

A great singer. Period.

25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

There were minimal melismatical moments. I was ready to cringe, it never happened, then found myself pulling for her, then like others here, actual goose bumps

GaGa has surprisingly been toning things down, SNL, Tony Bennett, etc She was a lot better than all those primadonnas who just want to show off their voice at the expense of the song. It was fresh - a nice and respectful twist without herself being the focal point

Bravo

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.