Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

They could be holding his 'medical clearance' over his head?

2. jmobrien68

D Bry on RAW tonight! (i hope)

with a hair cut and a trimmed up beard

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

He never looked scruffy until he hit the big show

davidshirt likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

It wouldn't be nearly as much fun if JBL said "Here comes a flying clean-cut young man". :)

5. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Lot's of speculation about Daniel Bryan's appearance tonight. I've read things from him being used in an angle to build interest for Wrestlemania (which as we all discussed earlier really needs to happen.. badly.) to him announcing his retirement from in ring competition.

**After posting this I literally saw this come up on 411mania wresting: Daniel Bryan announces retirement via twitter:

http://411mania.com/wrestling/daniel-bryan-announces-his-retirement/

Due to medical reasons, effective immediately, I am announcing my retirement. Tonight on Raw, I'll have a chance to elaborate. #gratitude

10:07 AM - 8 Feb 2016

6. RayS

I think if Bryan were retiring, or even faking retiring, WWE would be promoting his appearance (and Michael Cole would tell us at 8:02 that "rumors have been flying all day on social media"). The fact that they appear not to be, makes me think he's more likely to come out to take some sort of non-competitive role at Wrestlemania. The Miz going on about him last week may have something to do with his role ...?

7. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I was hoping to see Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles :(

MikeInFla likes this.
  8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

See above

9. RayS

It is now "breaking news" from WWE that Bryan is retiring tonight.

Which means 50/50 chance of a work, so we shall see.

10. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Oh yeah, I was hoping they'd be able to bring that to a WWE ring. At least I can watch this though.

11. jmobrien68

12. jmobrien68

OK... for the next five hours or so I am going to believe that this is a set up for Kevin Owens to deliver a pop-up power bomb to Bryan during his 'retirement' speech that will ignite a blood feud that will dwarf the Tommy Rich/Buzz Sawyer feud of the early 80s.

13. RayS

DB doesn't seem like the type of guy who would work the fans on social media like this.

I suspect, sadly, that he's done wrestling with WWE. Part of me would like to see him wrestle elsewhere (assuming the rumor that non-WWE doctors have cleared him is accurate) and part of me hopes he places his health front and center and moves on to other, safer, things.

He comes across as the most genuine of people - unquestionably the best of the "good guys".

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I read that WWE has "frozen" his contract meaning that he is still paid but not allowed to wrestle anywhere else.

The Wrestling Observer‘s Dave Meltzer said that Daniel Bryan actually tried to give his notice to the WWE but was blocked from doing it.

He wrote: “He did give notice and was told he did not have the right to give notice.

Bryan’s contract was reportedly frozen due to injury, which helps the WWE make up for lost time when someone is out of action. They had issues with Rey Mysterio due to the same clause. Judging from available talent contracts, Bryan may not have the right to give notice. The contract can be permanently frozen unless Bryan takes WWE to court or the WWE releases him.

Bryan hasn’t wrestled since April 2015, when he received a concussion during a six-man tag match in the UK. Bryan has only wrestled for three months in the last 22.

15. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Well, thank you Daniel Bryan.

16. I had heard that the "Difference of Opinion" was regarding his neck injury. DB now says that the numerous concussions have finally caught up with him - results from a test about a week and half ago convinced him it's time to retire.

Thank You Daniel Bryan.

17. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I am glad he decided to walk away now rather than risk further injury. More NFL players need to do the same thing.

Thank you, Daniel Bryan, for all the great matches and promos.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  18. RayS

Absolute class act to the end.

From the world's toughest vegan to the world's toughest retiree.

19. jmobrien68

I think the best part of the whole retirement segment was seeing Kevin Owens in a New Day shirt.

20. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Agreed on all counts.

21. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Bryan's retirement speech was one of the most genuinely touching moments of my 38 years of watching wrestling. I was tearing up the whole time.

Other things I enjoyed about the show:
    • Dean Ambrose's chemistry with Brock, and his connection with the crowd. Either put the belt on this guy or have Reigns turn on him; the fans seem ready to get on board.
    • Sasha Banks's hot pants. Wowza.
    • Owens giving a few fans some sh!t as he started down the ramp.
    • Charlotte acknowledging the 'We Want Sasha' chant as she heeled it up to the fans.
    • The replay of Miz's veneers getting popped off. Ouch!
    • Big E singing while he polished the table.

22. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

I don't have the WWE network, but am watching the post-Raw stuff on wwe.com now. And now I'm tearing up at work like a big baby, ha.

23. RayS

I liked when New Day came out to a big pop, and Xavier and Kofi got this "NOW you want to cheer us? I don't THINK so" heel looks on their faces.

The Dudleys heel turn was entertaining, although I fear that putting The Usos through tables will only get them cheered more loudly by the adult fans. The Usos seem much more popular with women and little children than adult males - not quite Cena, but sort of halfway there.

Nice to hear Owens continue to express his disdain for Michael Cole. :)

24. jmobrien68

The storylines weren't so hot... but Bubba played a great heel in TNA as a singles wrestler... kinda threw back to his Bully Ray character by screaming "DO YOU KNOW WHO WE ARE?"

RayS likes this.
  25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It is a shame WWE wasted so much time before giving Bryan the title and when they finally did put him in endless matches against Kane thinking he would be injury free until the next Wrestlemania. All the potential title matches that were not to be.

At least there was the summer of the Punk/Lee/Bryan love triangle which was a rare instance of inspired booking and ended in a real life marriage.

RayS likes this.