R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Great, thanks! :righton:

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thank you - I'm not insane! :D

I'd never heard of David Brighton until this thread, and I really don't think he looks much like Bowie. I have no idea if he's good/bad/indifferent as a performer, but he doesn't bear a great resemblance to Bowie - even at a distance, his "Ziggy blow-drying his hair" doesn't look like Bowie.

To me, the "Low", "Station to Station" and "Rebel Rebel" Bowies look like the real thing...

3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Hope you took a photocopy of it.....o_O

4. not yonder

not yonder Forum Resident

If you've not heard this yet, it's one of the most poignant things of his whole career. Bowie and Eno. 'We'll end together, you and I'. The last 10 minutes or so are just magnificent.

pobbard, vonwegen and Group of One like this.
  5. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

Which one? In his own words?

6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Look at the "T" of Toy, see the Bowie in the Yellow Suit in Serious Moonlight Era pose? That's David Brighton, it was quite the joke on the Bowie Boards when Toy leaked.
    [​IMG]

drasil and JohnnyQuest like this.
  7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

"We'll creep together, you and I"

8. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Wow - I haven't heard that name in a long time... I auditioned for them in the late 80's sometime

sortvinyl likes this.
  9. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

This is pretty funny. Alice Cooper recalls a dinner he had with Bowie & Ray Bradbury.

When David Bowie died last month, Alice Cooper released a statement in tribute to what he called one of his "lifetime rock & roll theatrical comrades." "We both started in theatrical rock & roll at the same time, and in some cases we challenged each other to go farther and push the envelope," he wrote. Now, in conversation with Rolling Stone about Hollywood Vampires' upcoming tribute to Motörhead's Lemmy Kilmister at the Grammys, the shock rocker offered a deeper look at his friendship with Bowie.

"I remember him coming to one of our shows early, early on, before he was David Bowie," Cooper says. "He was David Jones then, and he was a mime then. He came to one of our shows when Alice was really notorious and banned in England. He probably had it in his mind already to be Ziggy Stardust, but this kind of opened that door, because he saw what it could be."
    Cooper also dispelled any notion of a rivalry between Bowie and him, despite his feeling that the press at the time attempted to spark a feud. "I said, 'He created an entirely new character,'" Cooper says. "I was pushing that. I was hoping more people would jump into the theatrical part of it and create characters, so there was no animosity between Bowie and myself. If anything, I really admired what he was doing. And I think he liked Alice, what Alice was doing. It was a true admiration: 'How far are you going to take this?'
    "He was a chameleon," Cooper continues. "He kept changing what Bowie was going to be, whereas I wanted Alice to be an established Dr. Moriarty type. I wanted Alice to be the mysterious villain of rock where nobody knows where he came from, but he was a hard-rock guy. David kept changing it up and down and over and out. I said, 'Man, that's great.'"
    After Cooper's initial meeting with Bowie in the late Sixties, they later forged a friendship. Once, they even had dinner together with Fahrenheit 451 author Ray Bradbury. "It was really interesting, because these guys were in outer space somewhere," he says. "They were talking about quantum physics, and I'm going, 'So ... what kind of car are you driving?'" Cooper laughs.
    "I was a little more of the rock-star guy," Cooper continues, reflecting on the conversation. "I got what they were talking about. It's just not what I was much into. I think I was maybe more interested in the UFO idea, where they were talking about dimensional stuff and I'm going, 'Yeah, OK.' But it was great to listen to. You try to chime in every once in a while. I probably came in with a theological way of looking at it, but it was pretty interesting to listen to those guys, and then you try to sift through it and see how much of it is just riffing, how much of it is just one guy trying to impress the other guy. 'Cause it's all theoretical. I was just going, 'You're way past me here. If you want to talk about horror, then I'm in.'"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/alice-cooper-on-his-dinner-with-david-bowie-and-ray-bradbury-20160208#ixzz3zbtAfsr5

10. sortvinyl

sortvinyl Forum Resident

That sounds interesting, would you like to share the story?

11. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Not much to tell... I met with him one night after a show of his, played with the band a few days later and never heard back.:D

sortvinyl likes this.
  12. not yonder

not yonder Forum Resident

TexasBuck likes this.
  13. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Morrissey trawls the obituary columns daily and never fails to mention them on his 'fan site' (alleged)
    Recently he has payed his respects to Terry Wogan, Twinkle, Lynne Anderson and a whole load of others, yet he has not mentioned Bowie at all. I think that this says everything there is to know about Morrissey.

Wilco, MadamAdam and sunspot42 like this.
  15. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

I do love Morrissey, but there's no denying he's a petty vindictive arsehole.

MadamAdam, bob60, TGW and 2 others like this.
  16. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Does he have his own reasons to be vindictive toward David Bowie? What are they?

17. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Morrissey abruptly quit a European tour supporting Bowie in the 90's after, I think, 4 shows. Not sure why but I doubt Bowie was happy about that.

Then, a couple years ago Morrissey wanted to use a photo of him and Bowie for the cover of a re-release of "Last of the Famous International Playboys" but Bowie would not allow it. Perhaps he was holding a grudge from the touring incident or maybe he just didn't like the photo.

I'm sure this upset the drama queen Morrissey and he used a photo of him with Rick Astley instead for the cover.

dead of night likes this.
  18. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I just returned from a Bowie tribute show at the Roxy in Los Angeles. Mike Garson on piano for "Aladdin Sane." Epic.

19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Morrissey quit the Outside Tour shortly before his scheduled appearance in Aberdeen, on 1995-11-29. Up to that point, he had performed nine times on the tour, and was booked to play dates right up until 1996-02-20. The reason, I heard at the time, was that Morrissey was not enjoying playing to seated arenas that were still half-empty during his time slot; basically, an ego thing. Bowie was, by all accounts, furious.

delacey, dead of night and vertigone like this.
  20. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Tyler Chastain, JannL, drasil and 2 others like this.
  21. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

According to Morrissey, when they toured together, it was Bowie's idea that it be a smooth transition from one act to the other. Morrissey would finish with a Bowie song; Bowie would sneak in during it, while Morrissey would slink out. Morrissey's take on this was that it deprived (his) audience of saying goodbye and deprived him of having that final applause for a show well done.

On the surface that sounds vaguely reasonable, but then the source is Morrissey, so.....

From memory something very similar was done with the NIN tour, but clearly without the accriomy ...or Morrissey's neuroses.

Tyler Chastain and dead of night like this.
  22. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Yes the earlier US leg of the tour achieved a seamless transition from Nine Inch Nails to Bowie over the course of a few songs. Bowie would join NiN at the end of their set for a couple of tracks, (Bowie singing "Hurt" is superb) then Bowie's band would take over as Trent remained onstage with Bowie for a couple of songs, then Trent would leave and you had the rest of the Bowie set. Very effective, as NiN's music merged rather well with the Outside material that DB was playing on that tour.

I simply can't see how Morrissey's music would have achieved anything like the same sort of transition even if he'd had the balls to try it.

I saw this show at Wembley and Morrissey's set was very badly received - I'd be more inclined to think that poor audience reaction prompted his flouncing off the tour more than anything else.

23. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

I wonder if this pic is a campy pose or he's protecting her from something or she doesn't feel good. Damn, you can really tell how much he love(s) her! My heart goes out to her.
    But she is a very strong woman with a fifteen year old daughter to look after. When he knew his cancer was terminal, one of the most gut wrenching things he told his close associates was that he was going to miss watching his daughter grow up.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  24. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

25. eskaton

eskaton Forum Resident

Former Morrissey die-hard here. That is indeed Morrissey's official line. However, while it's certainly plausible that creative differences played a part in Morrissey's departure from the Outside tour, I'm not convinced this is the full story.

Morrissey had just gone through a breakup at the time, and according to longtime personal assistant and artistic collaborator Jo Slee, he was experiencing the onset of what became a period of severe depression. Depression often begets anxiety, and I suspect an inability to cope while being on tour played a major factor in his eventual departure. If he was poorly received as others have said, that likely served to compound the issue.

Morrissey handled the situation poorly (commandeering a tour bus and bailing without notice or explanation on the night of a show) and rather than owning up to the fact that he messed up, he lashed out at Bowie, probably out of embarrassment and some misplaced discontent, because that's his M.O. He has had a bizarrely hot/cold attitude toward Bowie in the press ever since, praising him in one interview and dismissing him as irrelevant and uninteresting in the next. In a Q&A on Morrissey's website two years ago, he dismissed his behavior as "snot-nosed junior high ribbing," claiming that Visconti had tried to orchestrate a cover of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" with the two of them, but Bowie declined, and implied that Bowie's decision was motivated by ill-will.

I can't say I blame Bowie for passing on that (if it ever was really in the works), or for denying use of that photo for the Playboys reissue. "Ribbing" or not, Morrissey has been quite vicious toward him over the years. To his credit, Bowie took the high road and never responded. In fact, I don't think he ever publicly acknowledged it at all, which probably got under Morrissey's skin.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.