Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

That's what's in my copy, bought upon release. No band photos either.

2. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Isn't this in the tour program?

I'll have to grab mine when I get the chance.

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

XLD is the Mac owning audiophile's best friend. Seamless conversion from FLAC to Apple Lossless (And vice versa).

Billy Budapest likes this.
  5. Unsure, but I've seen it before. I just Googled a Rush Hold Your Fire artwork and it was one of the images that came up.

6. XLD is one of the great OS X programs. It can do so many things and is regularly updated. I'm pretty sure the developers is a solo guy in Japan and he must be working really hard on it--and it's free, to boot.

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Anyone else here totally bummed that this reissue campaign is now over? I really wish Sean was commissioned to do Different Stages, Clockwork Angels etc.

8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I got a NM Hold Your Fire the other day and it has this picture on the inner sleeve I think, I will have to look at it again.

9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I am doing a full run through my Rush vinyl and have thus far completed Rush, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, Permanent Waves, Hold Your Fire, and Grace Under Pressure. I am trying to determine which of the reissues I will need (I want ALL of them!). So far I am putting Rush, Permanent Waves, 2112, and probably Moving Pictures on my want list. It is so cool that they did such a fantastic job with these. I have also been super happy with the Beatles Mono reissues, Zeppelin reissues, Sabbath Rhino reissues, and recent Hendrix too.

johnny q likes this.
  10. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

lucky you. what can I say.

IrishWombat likes this.
  11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Yes I wish he would have done Clockwork Angels but the vinyl doesn't suck. The Hires sure does however, what were they thinking.

What versions of Vapor Trails is everyone resorting to? There is really no decent version is there? The remix isn't that much of an improvement. I hear there is an improved version out there but the reviews are mixed. I'm very skeptical and that is why I haven't bothered with it...

12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I got a SpinClean for Christmas and I HATE IT BECAUSE I'M NOW OBSESSED AND HAVE TO CLEAN EVERY RECORD I OWN!

It's probably the most important purchase I've made for listening to vinyl. I have about 800 Lps obtained from fleamarkets and yard sales and they're all going through the spinner. I've probably cleaned close to 400 records in the last month. It has revived numerous lps that I thought were done for. For instance I saved a RL Moving Pictures just this weekend.

I really screwed up when I cleaned the new Sticky Fingers reissue and then heard things I'd never heard before. Now all the new vinyl gets cleaned too.

I'm obsessed with this thing.

Ben Adams likes this.
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Perhaps if the remix wasn't brickwalled like the original, it would sound better...

There are 3 official masters:

Original CD: original mix & mastering, awful clipping, no dynamic range
    Hi-Res remaster of the original mix: barely better, no clipping but not much more DR
    Hi-Res remix: different mix, mastered with not much DR

I've seen so-called "unmastered" versions around but they are not from the original mixes before mastering, they are done by amateurs with de-clipping softwares, sourced from official mastered versions.

14. Hymie the Robot

Thanks. Glad to have all the others sounding great at least. Even the other "later" albums are sounding very nice. Been listening to them more than ever. Now if Geddy and Steven can get together on a multichannel reissue campaign. From the recent Geddy interview, I know he is up for it...

15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I don't know what version you listened to but the Clockwork Angels LP I received on release day was marred with sibilance and non-fill. It's been thoroughly documented here. Not to mention that it's barely an upgrade from any of the digital versions, regardless of what any DR meter might say.

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I picked up my CA a few months after release and the pressing was OK. Slightly noisier than average for a new release but no non-fill. Geddy's vocals seemed harsh and sibilant on a few tracks at first, but that seemed to go away with repeated plays ... I've never run into an effect quite like that before. I've got a good needledrop which I find a much better listen than the digital download that came with the LP.

17. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

In regards to the Vapor Trails remix, I found that the vinyl copy really lacked definition compared to the cd. Did you all find that true? Was it just a difference in my playback equipment?

18. Hymie the Robot

The version I have is a vinyl rip and it sounds really good. I have no idea where I stumbled across it. I no longer listen to the Hires version I have. I have read all about this release and not everyone thinks the vinyl is bad. Sorry about your luck.

SickAgain likes this.
  19. Hymie the Robot

Yup, very happy with the needledrop I have. Sounds a thousand times better than the Hires download which is almost unlistenable.

JulesRules likes this.
  20. marblesmike

It's not just bad luck:
    http://www.analogplanet.com/content/what-non-fill-looks#KgJYF2Hf3y1ALiDD.97

21. Hymie the Robot

22. marblesmike

No, most people who got one complained about it upon release. It sounds better than the CD but not much.

The sibilance is what got me the most. The non-fill was hard to hear because the volume is so loud on that album.

Also, thanks for clearing it up that you are basing your opinion on a needledrop. If it's from the famous vinyl ripper I'm thinking of he's doing his playback on $10,000+ equipment. Not to mention that needledrops are not an accurate representation of how a pressing sounds since there are so many variables.

23. Hymie the Robot

Glad it's clear for you now. Do you think every single pressing of CA had the same problems as your copy and the one in the article linked? Do you think a $10,000 system can overcome the physical vinyl problems of non-fill and CA's other abnormalities? Do you make your own vinyl rips?

24. marblesmike

I make my own rips sometimes, but it's for travel and not for listening to on my system.

Do I think it could have plagued 10,000 copies? Maybe. In fact, I think I returned my copy and the replacement sounded the same. My friend also ordered a copy and had the same issues. I'm just going on my experience and that of those I know.

As for systems overcoming pressing issues--it's possible. I have a more expensive cart than I did in the past and there are a lot of pressings that had issues with my old equipment that sound much better now. But to be fair I've heard the more expensive the equipment is the more revealing it is. YMMV. If you're happy listening to the needledrop then that's all that should matter to you. I just responded because I didn't want everyone thinking the vinyl was the gold standard of the CwA release and that it doesn't need a remaster. I'd love to hear what Sean could do to it because as it stands now I've not listened to it in a while due to how bad it sounds even though I remember liking a lot of the material.

JulesRules likes this.