The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

6/22/91 - Chicago

Damn. This Shakedown is now in my top bunch to rival 12/31/84 and, what is it, 6/31/85? :)

Crispy Rob and Jason Tenney like this.
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Crickets.

I'll be contacting the seller through eBay soon.

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. warewolf95

6/22/91 - Chicago

God man, this FOTD is breathtaking!

Jason Tenney likes this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Don't neglect the Eyes from 20 October. ;)

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That was quick. I expected nothing, so I can't say I'm disappointed. It's a solid lie by them. Clearly the listing was in error so they claim the package was lost. I don't see the point in leaving negative feedback.
    It's not like I really wanted the set, I'd probably just use the cigar box to hold cash during poker games anyway.

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

There were recordings being made by different folks for different purposes in the 80's and 90's. The PCM's were the "vault" recordings, but other recordings were made for members of the crew, family, and the various hangers-on.

Joani Walker was a taper in the late 70's and early 80's (23 Nov 1978; 16 Dec 1978; 17 Dec 1978 are among three of her great recordings) who befriended Dan Healy. She eventually became the overseer of taping duties at the board, she sat with a table full of recorders and made tapes for crew and family, primarily cassettes. Her SBD cassette recordings have circulated for years in tape form, and now digital. She has shared many recordings with Charlie Miller who has transferred, mastered, and circulated many fine recordings that Joani made over the years.

Healy's matrix recordings were done on PCM gear (so he could get the timing right), and have that hall ambience combined with the SBD clarity.

7. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Is there a "Master" list anywhere of all the Healy Matrices that are available to listen/download?

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. Jason Tenney

Jason Tenney Forum Resident

i love so many of Joani Walker's recordings!!! i knew she was tight with Dan Healy, but i had no idea that her role was a semi-officially sanctioned one...very cool to know, thaks for the info!

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. warewolf95

6/22/91 - Chicago

Wow. If you enjoy Foolish Heart, check this version out. This is a killer one. It's got a ridiculously upbeat and uplifting feel to it, like a '90's Disney movie or something. :)

Jason Tenney, nitsuj and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. warewolf95

6/22/91 - Chicago

Continuing my song-by-song postings of my thoughts on this show, Crazy Fingers is quite exquisite.

It continues the extremely "up" vibe from Foolish Heart. If you are looking for a show, or at least a 2nd set, that will make you feel good and want to smile, try this out.

Can't forget the inevitable Dark Star teases! :)

Jason Tenney likes this.
  11. warewolf95

6/22/91 - Chicago

PITB>Terrapin>PITB Reprise

If you haven't heard this yet, what is wrong with you? :) This is a top-rate latter day PITB. It segues like butter into Terrapin.

Jason Tenney likes this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there and it was a good one, although there are a few others on that terrific tour that I'd rank above it. IIRC, Lemiuex has said this show is a candidate for a video release. Shakedown was included on the bonus DVD in the All The Years Combine DVD box a few years ago.

US Blues, Jason Tenney and warewolf95 like this.
  13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Great info thanks.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This might help, a few Charlie Miller quotes over at etree.

fyi:
    I didn't label the board tapes as matrix since the Healy UltraMatrix was what was used for board tapes from Spring 87 through 12/31/90. So if you see a sbd tape from that era (plus a few Dec 86 shows), then it's a matrix made by Healy. //

Here may be the Dec 86 Shows.
    12/15 was a straight sbd
    12/16 is a matrix
    12/17 is a matrix
    12/27 is straight sbd
    12/28 I forget, but I think matrix
    12/30 is a matrix
    12/31 is a matrix, but diff mix than fm
    Joani Walker was patched out of the UltraMatrix box that Healy gave her a patch too.

This book here also references '86-'91. Also I guess I have to amend my understanding of these things as it seems these were done on the fly, not mixed afterwards? So maybe he taped to the two tracks of the Beta PCM, then the Ultra Matrix box did the time correction on the fly which people patched into with cassettes perhaps?

nitsuj, warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  15. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

16. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

I also wondered who she was and how she got all those tapes. How about Paul Scotton, of walker.scotton.miller fame?

warewolf95 and Jason Tenney like this.
  17. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I was at that 6/22/91 - Chicago show, too --- it was a good one. Would love a video release.

Didn't get that Combine box set, because with the exception of So Far and the bonus disc , I have all the dvd's - would love to see that Shakedown.

Of course, any new dvd release would great.

Carious to what shows you would rank above it? Always looking for some 91 shows to listen to.

18. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

03/09/81
    Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY
    Set 1:

Feel Like A Stranger
    Althea
    C.C. Rider
    Ramble On Rose
    El Paso
    Deep Elem Blues
    Beat It On Down The Line
    Bird Song
    New Minglewood Blues

Set 2:
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Samson And Delilah
    Ship Of Fools
    Estimated Prophet
    Uncle John's Band
    Drums
    The Other One
    Stella Blue
    Good Lovin'

Encore:
    U.S. Blues

archive.org/details/gd1981-03-09.mtx.seamons.101168.sbeok.flac16

19. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

I got into that show with a Debbie Gibson ticket I found on the floor at Giants Stadium the week before Chicago. lol

KeninDC, budwhite, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  20. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Ha! That's great...

warewolf95 and Bingo like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Combine box was one rare case in which my procrastination paid off. I had kept up with CD releases, but not with DVDs, except for the Closing of Winterland and the Blu-Ray version of the GD Movie, so it was a nice cheap way to catch up in one fell swoop.

My favorites from the tour are 6/17/91 Giants, 6/25/91 Sandstone, and 6/14 RFK. Would put Chicago 4th after those 3, I think, but 6/24/91 Sandstone is right there in the mix. There were a lot of fine other shows, too, I caught everything except for Pine Knob.

hyde park and warewolf95 like this.
  22. warewolf95

Stone Turntable, Bingo and Music1212 like this.
  23. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I was in the exact same boat. I don't mind having doubles of those two either.

LUNACHUCK and Crispy Rob like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I have no regrets, especially because pre-ordering the Winterland DVD got me the bonus CD, and the Blu-Ray is a better way to experience the GD Movie. Well, I do have one regret, which is not pre-ordering Dead Ahead back in the day and getting the bonus disc that came out with that one. One of just a few bonus discs that I didn't manage to get my grubby paws on.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  25. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Speaking of Winterland and the Bonus CD. Needed something quick for this evening due to being short on time this evening. I'm currently in bliss listing to the Scarlet>Fire from 12/31/77. What is the story on this show tape wise? Is it common knowledge that it's not on the vaults complete? Or is this maybe coming one day? Now that I think while typing this is 77' and could be part of the Betty's stuff that got away in storage deal. Just wondering if any of my "go to guys" here knew :)