When is the color black trend in AV components going to end?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Isaac K., Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I prefer the black actually.
    I do notice a lot of laptops tend to be silver lately...

3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The only silver component I have is my Technics turntable, which sticks out like a sore thumb in the lovely uniform blackness surrounding it. You can keep your shiny stuff, I'll stick with black.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Love the old silver amps and gold Marantz gear

5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'm not really crazy about the looks of any of my components (including my turntable, but not my speakers), but they are not bad, either. But I love the sound so am extremely happy with them. When I got my Oppo 105D for the HT, I had the option of silver, but it sits in a AV cabinet behind smoked glass doors, and I like the clean look of the components disappearing, but with the ability to see the displays. I like my audio system in exposed racks, though. My phono stage is made in the UK and comes in silver or black, but I bought it used and it is silver. I would have preferred black to go with the rest of my gear, but I got it for 1/4 the retail price and it sounds amazing, so it's a small quibble.

If I were buying components for looks, I would get all vintage Marantz, Yamaha, or Sansui in the beautiful brushed silver and wood, though.

My HT components are all McIntosh, though, and I love the look of those.

[​IMG]

7. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

If I had the choice between silver or black, I'd go for silver all the time. Or white.
    Black shows the dust too readily, and I'm scarred by the 1980's 'Black Ash' furniture vernacular.

I can't mix 'n' match colours easily either... which is annoying when a manufacturer doesn't make a particular component in your carefully chosen colour... thoughtless bugg3rs.

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Black is for AV gear. Silver and other colors are for audio gear. ;)

NewKidInTown and russk like this.
  9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident Thread Starter

When I made this thread I meant AV as in both audio AND video gear. In the USA, any option other than black in either category under a grand is scarce.

10. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

How much more black can it be? The answer is none. None more black. ;)

11. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

12. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

That's exactly why I'm so keen to get my non working Yamaha CR 2020 restored. It's such a good looking silver wood unit. I'm looking for someone competent to do it. If anyone knows, please send me a message.
    I think there's a difference between a mass market Sony component in black and a 1/4 thick aluminum faceplate in black, like say a Mark Levinson amp. If the black component exudes quality and heft, it's very appealing.

13. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

It has reminded me of the champagne gold Marantz VHS I had - I thought it looked quite sophisticated.

14. Lugnut

Lugnut Forum Resident

Clicked the link and malware alarms went off !

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A VirusTotal scan of hotbucket shows that Websense detects the site as malicious: virustotal scan results
    Sucuri also detects the site as potentially harmful: Sucuri Sitecheck results
    Quttera detects a suspicious file during a scan due to a redirection to a third party site: Quttera scan results

Linking directly to the images hosted there should be fine. But visiting the hotbucket web site directly could require some caution. This sort of detection could be the result of a malvertising style advertisement being displayed on the site. An adblocker would likely block that.

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Hey nut.
    It shows you as a new member but from your sign-up date your not. Will check on that.
    Don't know how to explain your malware abnormalities but can assure you my site is clean.

17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I don't know that it is a trend, as much as one of two dominant colors that cycle. Seems like the trend is mixed but maybe more silver right now. I'm sure changes in preference over time do drive some sales.

18. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Black shows dust off the best mate !

19. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

Black is the only color for electronics, they disappear in the cabinet so they don't catch your eyes and spoil the music.

20. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

When my father purchased a Fisher system in the early eighties, I thought the all-black looked so modern! I still love the look of black. All of my gear is black with silver accents (including my acrylic platter), and I think it fits very well in my living room. I remember in the early aughts I purchased a region-free DVD player and had the option to get it in gold. I was quite seduced by that color, but I had just purchased my Denon AVR-3805 in black, so I stuck with conformity. I don't see myself switching to any other color... especially with my budget.

21. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I miss wood grain appliaces. I always thought that gave them a classy look. Of course when I think about it, it could very well just be nostalgia talking. When I was a kid we had a family station wagon with wood grain paneling on the doors, a wood grain television on which I played movies with a wood grain Beta Max player and I played video games with a wood grain Atari 2600. :p

Kristofa likes this.
  22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

You should see the wood on the new Aston Martin.

23. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Well, there is black and then there is the "real thing", BLACK !

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kristofa, panasoffkee and goat65cars like this.
  24. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Then, there is silver, and the "real thing", SILVER. How can you go wrong with either color!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    vinyl13 likes this.
  25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.