New Coldplay album "A Head Full of Dreams" out December 4th -- First single released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Do not taunt happy.Fun song....

D.D.

mschrist and Vincentrifugal like this.
  2. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

This one's not nearly as impressive as Ghost Stories which I felt was somewhat of a return to their earlier form. I really enjoyed the song Amazing Day though.

3. gsmile

gsmile Forum Resident

I really like this album, and I gotta agree: "Amazing Day" is a highlight. That song has an amazing melody, and sung with such yearning. Definitely the two things I admire most in a Coldplay song.

fmfxray373 and willy like this.
  4. JofpGallagher

JofpGallagher Well-Known Member

I just wanna say that this new album of Coldplay is garbage. I mean, this is horrible. What happened to them? They used to make good tunes.

I understand some bands want to explore new sounds, new genres, but somebody should let them know they suck at this dance pop electronica crap. This is hardly a band anymore. It's just a bunch of MIDI samplers stack together with a couple of drum machines (Nothing wrong with that, but they are not LCD Soundsystem). This album, to me, sounds like a Greatest Hits of closing credits songs by Disney and Pixar. Every time I listen to "Adventure of a Lifetime" I cannot stop thinking in the movie Madagascar with all those meerkats dancing. I have to think that at this point, Coldplay is just cashing in their brand name by putting terrible tunes out there.

I am probably in minority here, but Mylo Xiloto was a horrible experiment that I didn't like at all. However, HFoD is way worse!!! I thought they learned the lesson when they put out "Ghost Stories". Yes, I do like "Ghost Stories", it has glimpses of what a great band Coldplay used to be. But then this Head Full of Dreams comes up, and I think they are done in the same way U2 was done after Achtung Baby.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

New Single Monkey Video?

6. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

It gets better with every play.

mschrist likes this.
  7. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

I agree. I didn't much care for it at first, but it's slowly starting to draw me in. One problem (for me) is the terrible sound of the ITunes download. I have pretty high end earbuds, and it still seems like one big, shrill wall of noise with little to no little dynamic range. The vinyl HAS to sound better, but I don't know if I like it good enough to fork out 35+ bucks.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  8. Agree strongly with everything here except the U2 comparison.They made great albums after this and even their worst-Songs Of Innocence by some margin- is way better than this or Mylo Xyloto.

9. JofpGallagher

Speak for yourself

Well, yeah. I don't believe Coldplay will ever reach U2 levels in musicianship. Only in his dreams could Martin make an album as good as Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree. Come to think of it, I did enjoy No Line in the Horizon and All you can Leave Behind and Zooropa is pretty good too. Never at the level of AB or TJT, but pretty good records. With Songs of Innocence U2 absolutely crapped the bed.

10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It's good to hear Merry Clayton wailing on "Up & Up"!

11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Parachutes > Joshua Tree
    A Rush of Blood to the Head > Achtung Baby

:tiphat:

Rocker and bootbox like this.
  12. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i gave head full a dreams a 2nd chance today...tried to eq the mp3 files to sound more audiophile.

mmm..yea i sort of got what they were going for.....i think its a bit too long...should not be a double(3sided) lp.

also i found mylo xyloto a lot more uplifting than this one.

13. zen

zen Senior Member

Ahhh, I think he did that.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  14. JofpGallagher

That is a fine opinion. To me the order is Joshua Tree > Achtung Baby = A Rush of Blood to the Head > Parachutes

whisper3978 likes this.
  15. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

I love the new album, but because I only have the 2LP version, I find myself not playing sides C or D. I play A, flip it to B, then move on to another selection. That gorgeous blue vinyl, though... good grief, what a lovely color!

After a brief falling-out I had with Coldplay upon one listen of Mylo Xyloto, I'm happy to say they're back on my a-list.

DJ WILBUR and RubenH like this.
  16. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

But "A Head Full of Dreams" is like Mylo Xyloto part 2. :confused:
    This is their second attempt at a fun and light hearted party record.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    pinkrudy likes this.
  17. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Can someone please tell me what song from the seventies has the EXACT same melody during the chorus? The song I'm thinking of goes something like "If this <SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING>, why do I feeeeeel the way I do..."

It's driving me CRAZY!

18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

A Head Full Of Dreams > Maroon 5

JofpGallagher and JohnnyQuest like this.
  19. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Really like the album...I like U2 as well...Head full of dreams is very U2'ish!

20. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Oh my God, I'm an IDIOT! The song I'm thinking of is "It's Only Love" by The Beatles. This is as much a ripoff of that song as "Viva La Vida" was of that Joe Satriani song!

21. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

No 1 best selling album in the UK this week, on the back of Coldplay's well received Superbowl performance, and a subsequent increase in sales.

22. no_parlez

no_parlez Member

Also helped by Google Play selling for £0.99 this week.

23. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Well it doesn't have to sound better, some of these over compressed masterings sound worse when they try and cut the same sonic mess to vinyl (last Jane's Addiction album), but let us know if you do take the chance and compare. The 24/192 download is as equally awful as the iTunes.

24. JofpGallagher

That's hardly a compliment :p

25. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Agreed. I thought it was just OK when it first came out. I loved "Ghost Stories" from the very first listen and regularly revisited it, but I was kind of ready to move on from "Dreams" after the first week. But lately I've been playing "Dreams" over and over again and really enjoying it.

It's kind of weird-sounding at first because it's barely a rock album, and because there's something really direct about the production of its electronic aspects--there's very little sense of texture or shading to them. It also might not help that the album doesn't really introduce yourself or let you ease into it--it just fades right into the first song. But revisiting it a month later, it sounds light, kinetic, and exuberant to me.

fmfxray373 and DJ WILBUR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.