Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well we can't really be bummed as the full reissue campaign obviously far exceeded expectations. I do agree though that there is work left to be done. When you say Clockwork Angels are you referring to a complete remix job the same way they did Vapor Trails? Unfortunately, I am not sure the band really would ever want that to happen. It would sort of be admitting to another mastering mistake. It would be nice to have R30 on vinyl and of course Different Stages would be incredible. We can only dream!
    I think the remix of Vapor Trails is a significant improvement, especially the CD version. I could not even listen to the first one due to the compression. I find the vinyl sounds solid, very pleased with it although it has never been a favorite album of mine. Slightly off topic, but I spun my NM German pressing of Presto and it is like hearing the album for the first time. Sounds absolutely fantastic, full rich and warm with most of the "thinness" of the production removed. If you have not heard this on vinyl I strongly urge you to do so because it annihilates the CD. I was truly blown away upon first listen to the vinyl. Highly underrated album too!

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I know I am sort of slow to recognize things but I love the fact that they reference all of their albums in this picture. I see All The Worlds A Stage, Grace Under Pressure, Hemispheres, Power Windows, Exit Stage Left, what else am I missing?

3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Got my HYF lyric insert yesterday. All is good.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I also see Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings, and Fly By Night.

5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Signals would count too if you consider the fire hydrant.

jriems likes this.
  6. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

What's the consensus on the EU Grace Under Pressure LP? I did read some posts awhile back regarding a skip and my copy (which arrived today) has the same issue during The Body Electric.

7. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

The Permanent Waves girl is in there too...

EDIT: oops got confused with the "Exit Stage Left" girl...

DiabloG likes this.
  8. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I asked this earlier in the thread but I'm not sure there was a definitive answer. Did this expanded image ever appear in an LP insert? It's not from the HYF Tour book, which you can find linked here and it's the cropped image without the upper half. http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/imagedb-tourbook-holdyourfire.php

I'm just wondering where it originated.

9. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

Just a guess about the HYF artwork:

- either the expanded artwork was never really used in the production of anything and exists only as original artwork, or...
    - maybe the expanded version is a fanmade version of the art to include more album references.

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Anybody care to ask the source? http://www.hughsyme.com/

11. DBR70

DBR70 Well-Known Member

I think that the same girl on Permanent Waves and Exit Stage Left.

12. I'd say this version is much, much better. Sure, there's still no dynamic range, but the constant crackling digital distortion in the original mastering is gone. At least it is listenable.

DiabloG likes this.
  13. It could be from the Art of Rush book. I know that the artwork was actually a diorama thst Syme built and then photographed, and separately photographed the juggler and superimposed him into the photo of the diorama.

Anyway, the Art of Rush book came out relatively recently and I know I saw the full artwork a long time ago.

14. Just reporting that today I've received my copy of the vinyl reissue of "Hold Your Fire", shipped directly from London. It does come with the lyrics sheet, and the vinyl is flat and quiet, as perfect as it can be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

You could say S/T if you count the blue power box in the lower left.

16. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

I also have a skip on The Body Electric. I sent it back but I guess I will receive another one with the skip?

17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That book looks incredible! I saw that on Amazon they have them going for $1600 and Ebay about the same price but then on the Rush website it is $80. Still expensive but I would love to own it.

18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Hopefully just a bad batch and you should be fine.

19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Is it that much better than the sink some mild detergent and a microfiber cloth? For the really dusty or dirty ones I usually wash in the sink and quickly dry and then perform the dishwasher cleaning. I am sure I will eventually get one but I have used a dishwasher (I have an original and a Crosley brand which I like even more) with excellent results for most vinyl. I think the Spin Clean would definitely help on the more soiled or VG-VG+ copies that I own. I have always cleaned new vinyl as it was quite evident that 95% of the time it is necessary. I will put the Spin Clean on my want list.

20. cnolanh

cnolanh Forum Resident

Of the recent reissues, I've now got Permanent Waves, Feedback, and Snakes and Arrows, all of which sound superb. The vinyl in each case was pristine. Very impressed.

I won't replace all my Rush albums with reissues, but I'm likely to buy a few others to fill holes or replace questionable pressings. As a lifelong Rush fan I am delighted to see their back catalog given this quality treatment.

oneway23 likes this.
  21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

So due to our little conversation yesterday I went home and listened to the first two sides of my CwA vinyl last night. It's the first time played on my newer setup and it sounded better than I remember! Way less sibilance and harsh treble sounds, and I didn't hear any non-fill sounds either.

Mind you, I went from a Technics SL-5300 with a JICO Shibata stylus on a Stanton 681eee (or Denon 301mk2, can't remember which I had mounted when I first got this record) to a Thorens TD-147 with an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II. The AT33PTG/II absolutely slays those other two carts so this might be a testament for better equipment overcoming certain pressing issues.

Oh, and it's a shame the album wasn't mixed or mastered better because a lot of the material is some of the best stuff they had put out in years.

22. I only listened to it all the way through once. The album sounded like it was echoing through a garbage can. I want to be able to listen to it more. Maybe I will be able to get into it next time I play it.

JulesRules and keiron99 like this.
  23. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Interestingly, I went to the Hugh Syme link and started looking at excerpts from the book, and found a third variation of this image, this time with a dalmatian and someone hanging out the window!

[​IMG]

24. Nickslikk2112

Nickslikk2112 Heavy Metal Psyclist

My EU GuP is skip free.

25. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

Wonder if ATWAS is definalty oop , amazon never has it in stock anymore..