What Bowie are you listening to this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Finally getting to Scary Monsters. This album came out the year after I graduated High School and was one of those touchstone records that we all mark our lives with. It's funny to hear it now and remember how it used to fairly drip with significance for me. I had that cool 'Glamour' poster taped to my wall and I was desperately trying to figure out who I was. There was that odd sense of kinship about it because it sounded like Bowie, through these songs, was trying to do the same.

Even now, when I can be somewhat more objective, it does feel like a kind of summation of all that came before it. For me it was the last truly great Bowie album for a long long time and he definitely was a different cat for the rest of the 80's. I remember feeling very betrayed at the time but now I can see where he might have grown tired of being Bowie the artiste and just wanted to be a rock star for awhile. I still can't listen to 'Let's Dance' though. No offense.

I do think Scary Monsters will stand up as one of the great rock records of all time and I love that it can do so and still be so weird and uncompromising at the same time. Fripp's guitar playing alone. My God... And that's what Bowie was all about really; creating that little crack in the fence of popular culture and letting his strange light shine through. He appeared at exactly the right time in my life and was a profoundly positive influence on me and for that I am eternally grateful.

I think I can shut up now. Bye David. :tiphat:

[​IMG]

2. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Well, I thought "...sod it - I just want to hear these albums again..." and caved in, buying more of the '99 remasters also because they don't cost a lot and at least you can hear the bass on them - unlike the thin Rykos*! :) So I'm not going to run them down, anymore. :D

Which means over the last week, I've re-listened to:

"Heroes"
    Lodger
    Young Americans
    Diamond Dogs
    Scary Monsters

Also, I've had the pleasure of hearing Station To Station for the first time; even though I knew some/most of it before, it's one that I oddly let pass me by and now I think it's a great album. I can see why many call it their favourite. I've played Lodger three times in the last week and now it's a top 5 DB Bowie album, for me.

(*Yes, I know I can EQ them and do have the ones I want for the bonus tracks anyway but the equaliser on my system is a bit limited...)

JeffMo likes this.
  3. Hedin

Hedin Forum Resident

The Leon Suites demo album...

oldturkey likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

S/T vinyl yestetday afternoon.

Reality Tour cd in bed,

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I listened to all of the Nothing Has Changed 3CD in the dark on headphones last night. It was a release for incredulity at the time in 2014, what with his 1969-1982 period being in such a sustained mess for so long (his other masterful period of 1993-2003 was mostly fine at that point having had various 2CD deluxe etc versions).

But it's a really good compilation with good overall sound. I just wish the Fashion and Scary Monsters edits weren't so messily done, and that Dancing in the Street wasn't on it, then I could play it all the way through.

streetlegal, JeffMo and tin ears like this.
  6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I played MHSTW for my son yesterday
    He was blown away

7. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Hunky Dory 1st press, Hunky Dory 2015 cd, there were times when I thought 2015 was better, but kept going back to original vinyl rip.

Station to Station Harry Maslin mix (I know everyone hates it but I like to hear different takes)

1.Outcide (Outside Reordered by someone on youtube):

and 2.Incide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCx7webTpuA

but I prefer it with the segues in the right places.

8. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

The Next Day and Blackstar on a loop . . there's a story when I play the two together that somehow makes me feel better about it all.

Scope J and thxphotog like this.
  9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

10. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Among much Bowie I've been kind of addicted to my homemade 'Plastic Soul' comp lately.

01 - Can You Hear Me
    02 - After Today -outtake
    03 - Win
    04 - Fascination
    05 - Young Americans
    06 - Right
    07 - Who Can I Be Now -outtake
    08 - It's Gonna Be Me - outtake
    09 - Fame
    10 - Somebody up There Likes Me
    11 - John, I'm Only Dancing Again - edit
    12 - 1984
    13 - Word on a Wing
    14 - Stay
    15 - Wild Is The Wind

Halloween_Jack and sunspot42 like this.
  11. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

I can't stop listening to Station To Station and Hunky Dory. Two true masterpieces, so different from each other. Shocking to think there was just 5 years between them.

12. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I've had Bowie in heavy rotation, & much of it is new to me. It's been great, and really enlightening. Wish I dug deep sooner.

Anyway, last couple weeks I've had Ziggy, Aladdin, Low & Station to Station playing a lot with an emphasis on Ziggy because I wanted to learn Ziggy & Suffragette on guitar forwards & backwards. Couple days ago I started listening to the 20 track Best of Bowie. Why o why is Under Pressure a shorter edit? Were those few seconds necessary to get all the tracks on there? I haven't bothered to look at the total run time although I could have done that in shorter time than it's taken me to type this. :) Anyway, this Best of sounds great in the car! Huge in fact. Haven't auditioned it in the house yet.

JeffMo and sunspot42 like this.
  13. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I'll add an anecdote for fans; Every year I shoot a couple events at the Greek theater here, and I was speaking with a woman the other day about the Journey documentary, the one about them finding and touring with the Filipino singer. (great doc BTW) Anyway, I commented to her (as she also knows the Greek very well) that there was spot in the doc where they're shooting backstage at the Greek, and Neal Schon & J Cain, after coming off stage, head upstairs to the very posh large dressing rooms. My tween daughter & I prepped/relaxed/ate in the small dressing room, which is closest to the stage. Turns out that small dressing room is nicknamed 'The Bowie Room' because he would always request it simply because he liked the location despite it being a fraction the size of other rooms there.

I never saw David live, so being housed in this intimate little room that was his favorite is the closest degree of separation I'll likely obtain. :) I'll be back in that room first week of May.

14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing. Thread Starter

I've listened to "All The Young Dudes" from that one so many times. Not lately though, I should listen to that album next.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

16. Fred1970

Fred1970 Forum Phantom

I am currently hooked on his performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival 2002. It has, in my opinion, a brilliant set list with strong renditions of gems like Fashion, Ashes To Ashes, and Stay. It's also nice to hear Bowie's version of Neil Young's I am Waiting For You. The concert is available on You Tube.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    wavethatflag likes this.
  17. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Very similar rotation going on here, except I just added Diamond Dogs into the mix--which was new to me--and, I have to say, I really "Dig the Dogs"!

18. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I finally picked up the 2014 Sound + Vision set the other day and have been listening to that, but still need to get to disc 4. I must say that I really like the original OST version of "Cat People" on disc 3...what a terrific song this original version is! That rare U.S. Rebel Rebel single is also nice to have...it sounds so different from the regular version.

19. highish_low

highish_low New Member

This song has been on rotation for me this week. Not so much any albums, which I usually listen to, but specifically this song. It never fails to raise the arm hair:

20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm not sure exactly what I'll be listening to this week. Get this folks... I took a client of mine, I'd consider him a friend, to the Penguins game last Friday. We get to discussing Bowie and it turns out he was a really big fan and had seen him play a bunch in the Detroit area in the 70s. He knows I'm into vinyl and he offers me all his old Bowie records... He tells me he found them and they are now in his car. He will drop them off at my office this week!

So I'm now in that delicious stage of anticipation. The only lp I'm sure he has is David Live. I'm hoping for at least a half dozen. I think this is going to be a major score. If he brings me David Bowie and Man Who Sold the World I'm going to have a total freakout!

JeffMo likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Nice client! Let us know what you wind up getting.

22. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Me too - my favourite (official) Bowie compilation. Contrary to many people's opinions here, I think it sounds great too :)

23. parman

parman Music Junkie

Listening to Heathen right now.

24. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I'm going to give Aladdin Sane a listen.

Scope J likes this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I was reading the Uncut magazine tribute last night and getting myself upset all over again. I really don't want him to leave. Went to bed without music last night. Today? "Blackstar" in the car, yet again.

wavethatflag and sunspot42 like this.