Artists that contradict themselves.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ibekeen, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Congratulations - you win the thread! :righton:

goodiesguy, dewey02, ARK and 4 others like this.
  2. Oatsdad

I remember Madonna said she no longer felt a connection to them and couldn't see herself playing them, but I'm not sure she ever stated she absolutely would never play them again.

Madonna doesn't seem like the sort who'd back herself into that kind of corner! :)

3. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Maybe I took it the other way, but the way she derided those two songs, I saw it in a sense that she was never doing them again, especially since she has enough hits that she can skip them and people are fine.

I do think she's probably a little more nostalgic today than she was in 1998 though, especially since Ray Of Light was such an artistic triumph for her and she was trying to ignore the past and concentrate on the present. Whereas now she's probably at the point where she can look back at those songs she recorded 30 years ago and have fun with them, as she did a good helping of songs off her first three albums mixed in with her newer stuff. After so many years, she can probably look back at how much joy those songs bring to a generation and can deal with it better now than when she was on the Rosie O' Donnell show and was cringing at clips of her from 1984-1985.

4. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Matthew Fisher on Journey's End wrote a song with he refrain of I'll never sing that song again with a quote of A Whiter Shade of Pale. Fast forward...he rejoins Procol and plays the song.

Fast forward again...he sues and wins for partial song writing rights to....A Whiter Shade of Pale.

He does not share Christmas greeting cards with Gary Brooker any more.

5. Oatsdad

Oh, I'm not going to say 100% Madonna didn't say she'd never play them again - maybe she did. My memory was more along the lines that she couldn't imagine playing them, but not that she said "never never never". I could be totally wrong, though! :)

Madonna was very much about "moving forward" back then. When she toured in 2001, apparently she needed to be begged practically to play anything older than 1994. Even then, she only played two songs from her first 10 years as a recording artist!

6. John54

John54 Senior Member

Gary Puckett and the Union Gap had a (hit) song named Don't Give In To Him but also one called Give In.

ARK and ibekeen like this.
  7. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

I once read Noel was actually writing about meeting his father, who had left his wife and kids many years before, and the reunion ended up with Gallagher Sr. leaving in tears.

I can't see a contradiction here. Both songs deal with the same subject: individualism. "When I'm in the crowd I can't remember my name..." In fact the Away from the Numbers chorus is revisited at the end of the psychedelic instrumental outro to In the Crowd.

ajsmith likes this.
  8. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

In "Words Get in the Way," Gloria Estefan's opening lines are:

"I realize you're seeing someone new
    I don't believe she knows you like I do."

But a couple of verses later she says:

"But baby, I don't even know you any more."

ARK likes this.
  9. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

This a time paradox :)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Don Henley

[​IMG]

11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Interesting .. that would make sense. Although the end of the bridge still suggests a more God like figure:

'And on my shoulder he asked me why
    His people won't fly through the storm
    I said "Listen up man, they don't even know you're born"

12. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

I may not always love you
    But long as there are stars above you
    You never need to doubt it
    I'll make you so sure about it

Lost In The Flood, ARK and ibekeen like this.
  13. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

He claims that the song (Going For a Song) was supposed to be written from Brooker's perspective.

14. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

KISS' farwell tour announcement in 2000.

ARK likes this.
  15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Lennon contradicts himself within the span of just a few words. "Always (no, sometimes) think its me."

16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Billy Joel: Take My advice/Don't listen to me...
    :laugh:

ibekeen likes this.
  17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Side 3 of Johnny Winter's classic Second Winter contains the songs "I Love Everybody" and "I Hate Everybody".

18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Neil Young said that ("Hippie Dream").

Billy Joel said "Advice is cheap, you can take it from me" ("The Great Wall of China")

... or you know a Billy Joel song I've never heard.

19. zen

zen Senior Member

John Lennon's song I Don't Wanna Face It..."You wanna save humanity, but it's people that you just can't stand."

20. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

I've mentioned this one before on another thread... a contradiction if there ever was one.

I used to have (or may even still have) a cassette tape with an Elton John interview recorded from the radio... probably mid-1970s / Caribou or Capt. Fantastic period... I was an EJ fan geek and would record / save such things. In the interview, Elt is asked about the future and how long he sees his career lasting. After the usual platitudes about "it could all end tomorrow" and "we've had a great run", he makes this statement (and I'm paraphrasing):

"One thing is for certain... you won't see me singing 'Crocodile Rock' in Las Vegas in ten years time."

He was off by a couple of decades... but if that were only true.:rolleyes:

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Neil Young...the King of contradictions!

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and he'd be 23 soon...LOL!

CrombyMouse likes this.
  23. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

In Bowie's "All The Madmen" he talks about "where the thin men stalk the streets, while the sane stay underground." Then he says "I'd rather stay here, with all the madmen, than perish with the sad men roaming free."

24. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Every person on the planet, including artists contradict themselves, except me.

I contradict myself too.

ARK likes this.
  25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

"My brothers and sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child."

"Generic Blues" by Weird Al Yankovic

goodiesguy and ibekeen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.