Would you edit Mickey Rooney out of Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nope. Rewriting history is corny. While it doesn't have to be approved, each generation should at least understand (the idea of) context, especially when it comes to historical situations and art. I realized there was a MAJOR PROBLEM with this lack of understanding when Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn got a PC edit. Shameful. :mad:

ralphb likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A lot of people view "political correctness" as meaning "I can't say whatever I want about whomever I want without repercussions"...

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Having it in a film today would be offensive, I think that's pretty plain to see. Editing it out of a film from 50 years ago would be "PC run amok". At least in my opinion. The blu ray apparently has a feature discussing Rooney's character which I think is pretty fair way of dealing with it.

ralphb and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. See my post above. :cheers:

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Back then, people didn't realize what they were doing was racist (or sexist or homophobic, whatever the situation is) because it was acceptable through social conditioning. They didn't know or care that they were hurting others, and no one asked people if they were offended. Today, many of us know better, but you've got people who still want the right to offend others without impunity. That's not being great again, that's moving backwards to a less enlightened time in our history.

But, Mickey Rooney? Leave it as it is. We need to preserve the ugliness of our behavior as examples of what we need to move away from.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  6. And some see it as people being overly sensitive when they shouldn't be or having a distinct lack of context. Both are true. The point is moot.

7. Personally I've always thought the yellow face was corny and distasteful, but it's still what was there at the time in some cases. (In others actual Asians were used, I'm guessing if it wasn't a featured part or the studio was really, REALLY brave.)

EDIT: And screw Cloud Atlas for pulling that nonsense in the 21st century under the guise of "progression" and "story-telling". Puh-leeze. :rolleyes: There were other ways of demonstrating reincarnation.

8. Oatsdad

Yes, I've seen the Blu-ray.

I don't in any way, shape or form endorse removing Rooney from the film - whether due to racist issues or just because he's unfunny.

I never endorse altering art for any reason...

ralphb likes this.
  9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

My spouse is Native American. Pretty much any film made before 1970 is going to depict Native Americans unrealistically. I wouldn't endorse removing many of the scenes though we do roll our eyes when they show yet another Indian that speaks like a caveman and wants to rape the white women.

Grant likes this.
  10. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

For historical purposes I don't think Yunioshi should be removed, although there are some other "historically significant" pictures that have received large-scale edits ("The Big Sleep", "Touch Of Evil").

I do think a fanedit could be made that excises the character without disrupting the flow of the film. Yunioshi isn't mentioned once in the "Plot" section of the film's Wikipedia entry, and the character & performance take me "out of the moment" whenever Rooney's onscreen.

Favorite scene: the party (it took two weeks to film).

11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Sometimes, bad is bad.

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yes. One's "political correctness" is another's "truth." One's "media bias" is another's "fair and balanced."

Every word out of every mouth requires critical thinking. I do not accept anything from anybody at face value.

13. Carl Swanson

Not intentionally racist, thoughtlessly racist. But also a part of the deal when it comes to watching the movie. These days, just about any method of watching a movie has a FF button.

14. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

If you edit Mickey Rooney out of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", Caesar, Berle, Hackett and Winters agree to split the dough 4 ways, they drive carefully and quietly to Santa Rosita, dig up the money, split it, go quietly on their way, and the movie ends in a half an hour.

16. King Edward

King Edward Well-Known Member

Go back and re-read my post on the last page stating definition of racism. Some others in this thread need to do that as well.

17. Carl Swanson

You're entitled to your opinion. You're not entitled to force it on me.

Grant and Oatsdad like this.
  18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

You have an Asian character who is a professional presumably well paid in the 60's living in the Upper Eastside yelling at white people. Over acting aside the character is arguably a symbol of empowerment. Also the character was meant to be comic relieve with no intended malice.

19. King Edward

King Edward Well-Known Member

I didn't state my opinion. I stated the exact definition right from the dictionary. Fact, not opinion.

20. Oatsdad

Not even Phil Collins???

21. RayS

Good luck with that argument.

Grant and razerx like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Man, that character is a lot more than "over-acted"!

This post is the definition of "putting spin on a topic" - Yunioshi as "empowerment" symbol! :wtf:

23. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have more problems with Hollywood depicting Russians as gangsters, Muslims as terrorists and overall people with English accents as villians.

24. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

People assume any non White character or person requires to be coddled and protected as if we are Jesus tending the flock. This is more insulting than anything.

25. RayS

Boris Badenov is far more human than Mr. Yunioshi. And he's a cartoon character.

Let me quote @The Absent-Minded Flaneur , from earlier in the thread:

Hands up anyone who can tell the difference between Hollywood's stereotyping of Englishmen as cold, suave and dangerous and this movie's depiction of a Japanese man as a barely human, incomprehensible, ugly figure of fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.