My Audio Fidelity quad suggestions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

Cmon the one artist that really needs the steve hoffman sacd treatment that has NEVER had it is GORDON LIGHTFOOT :)

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

The Best of B.B. King in discrete quad would be worthwhile as if you wish to hear the matrixed quad in digital form: http://www.amazon.com/Best-B-B-King/dp/B000002PB8/

All you need is a standard CD player and an old "Dolby Surround" receiver or a modern home theater receiver with some form of Dolby ProLogic to enjoy the matrixed quad.

3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I wonder what's up with all the unreleased quad mixes in the vault at Columbia, I've heard Laura Nyro/Eli and Miles/Bitches Brew and they were flat out amazing. Janis' Cheap Thrills quad mix is insanely different. I never bought the SACD of BST s/t because I can't stand those single versions which I have on the quad 8-track and I never listen to that one anyway. There's a 2nd unreleased mix which uses the full length versions and are awesome.

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Glad to notice that they do read our suggestions folks

I quote myself and I see that some of my recommendations (in blue) have been released recently :righton:

Simon A and fredblue like this.
  5. MarioBR

MarioBR Forum Resident

I want a SACD Quad version from:

Simon&Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare

Art Garfunkel - Breakaway

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years

and all solo career of Paul Simon in quad version

(cause I know that Sony made a quad version
    of all these albums I quoted above)

Jarleboy, jlf, ponkine and 1 other person like this.
  6. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

If there is a God, then this would make me go out and invest in a 5.1 / 4.0 system. This was supposed to be released on DVD-A back
    in 2000 or so but hasn't seen the light of day yet.

EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER
    Welcome Back My Friends, To the Show That Never Ends
    - Ladies & Gentlemen. Manticore QT-3-200 (Q8)

ponkine likes this.
  7. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Blujays. Justin Hayward and John Lodge---- 1975 LP. An excellent quad reel exist --a perfect AF project IMO. BTW Marshall mentioned to me in an email this was requested.

zobalob, Simon A and rd1 like this.
  8. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Jaws: OST
    Black Sabbath: Paranoid & Sabotage
    Jefferson Airplane: Worst Of
    Simon & Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Water
    Bonus pick: Pink Floyd - Animals & Atom Heart Mother (and anything else mixed in quad)
    Double Bonus: Aerosmith Rocks in 5.1

Additional Classical Section:

I recognize this will probably never get done unless the licensing is much cheaper, but there's a number of Leonard Bernstein recordings never released or properly released in quad SACD (this is only a selection):

MASTERWORKS MQ-30056 Tchaikovsky/Swan Lake 1972 1978
    MASTERWORKS M2Q-30060 Verdi/Requiem Mass 1972 1977
    MASTERWORKS MQ-30443 Strauss/Also Sprach Zarathustra 1972 1979
    MASTERWORKS M2Q-31008 Leonard Bernstein/Mass 1972 1976 (not a terribly popular work but at least a major name, and the work is likely still in copyright, but really designed for quad listening from the ground up - you're listening wrong if you're listening in stereo)
    MASTERWORKS MQ-31125 Holst/The Planets 1972 1978 (given a botched SACD release by Sony with the stereo rechanneled into surround and the rear channels of the quad mix not used)
    MASTERWORKS KMQ-31919 Mahler/Das Lied Von Der Erde 1972 1977

There are also a lot of wonderful recordings made by Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra in the 1970s. I'd pay particular attention to the two "Fantastic Philadelphians" quad records of short classical favorites (they fit on one CD) - wonderful stuff.

Finally, Leopold Stokowski recorded the Mahler 2nd in Quad, near the end of his life. I know these sort of releases have historically been the province of Pentatone, but since they've limited themselves to Universal Music labels (mostly Philips), perhaps there's an opening for AF?

SKean, Quark1134 and fredblue like this.
  9. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Great list.. there's a Quad of Aerosmith's "Rocks" (which would make a great AF Surround SACD release) but never knew there's an unreleased 5.1 also..

ubertrout likes this.
  10. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I'd like to see Steve do-

Black Sabbath - Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation

Steel Horse likes this.
  11. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Was Sabbath Bloody Sabbath ever mixed for quad? I listed Sabotage because there's a lot of discussion of an unreleased quad mix for that album.

12. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

13. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

CSNY - Deja VU (I know, a pipe dream!)
    Jimi Hendrix - 1st 3 albums
    Steely Dan - 1st up to Gaucho
    Iron Butterfly - 1st 4
    Led Zeppelin - Take your pick
    The Doors - Any of the six
    Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
    The Beatles - Any(another pipe dream)
    Supertramp - Crime of the Century, Even in the Quietest Moments, Breakfast in America
    Pink Floyd - Animals, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon(Alan Parson's quad mix)'
    The Byrds - Greatest Hits
    The Eagles - Long Run, Greatest Hits
    Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St. , Its Only Rock n Roll, Let it Bleed
    The Who - Who's Next, Greatest Hits, The Kids Are Alright, and Quad.
    Simon and Garfunkel - Boookends
    Alan Parsons - I Robot
    Santana - III

jlf and ponkine like this.
  14. fredblue

15. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Most of these there are no Quad versions of. You need to go back in the thread to see titles that there ARE Quad versions of that haven't been released yet.

jsayers likes this.
  16. fredblue

Well I have no concrete proof some/many of these actually exist or ever existed but there are/were either supposed unreleased Quad/5.1's (or in a handful of cases released surround mixes) of the following from the list of @David P. Hill ...

CSNY - Deja VU (unreleased WEA 5.1),
    Steely Dan - (Quads released of 1st 3 albums, 5.1 of Aja cancelled due to missing multitracks, 5.1 Elliot Scheiner remix of Pretzel Logic said to be in the can),
    The Doors - (1 x Quad Best Of - now on AF Surround SACD, all studio albums in 5.1 on DVD-A and SACD),
    Supertramp - Crime of the Century (unreleased Quad - got as far as pre-order status afaik),
    Pink Floyd - Animals (unreleased Quad),
    The Who - Who's Next (5.1, said to have been cancelled due to missing multitracks),
    Simon and Garfunkel - Boookends (unreleased Quad - verified by the remix engineer who did it back in the day = Jim Reeves),
    Santana - III (2 X Quad mixes; 1 X released Quad and an alternate unreleased Quad)

Simon A and zobalob like this.
  17. fredblue

Simon A likes this.
  18. Mel O

Mel O Member

Any classic Todd Rundgren/Utophia

SKean likes this.
  19. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction, are these Quad titles you are speaking of, is the list here in this thread?

20. fredblue

Please do have a quick peek back at my annotations to your wishlist..?
    If supposition (and rumour and unfulfilled pre-orders!) are anything to go by, several albums you so desire either are available in Quad/5.1 or were said to have been mixed in surround at some point.. and I'm a "where there's life, there's hope" kinda guy, never say never! :D

fwiw, I don't profess to be world expert on Quad/5.1 or anything but multichannel I s a huge passion of mine and I have studied various aspects of the trials and tribulations of surround in some detail the last decade or so, the way a historian might study the Napoleonic Wars, let's say..

Simon A likes this.
  21. fredblue

Unreleased Warner 5.1 of "Something/Anything?" in the proverbial vaults, afaik..

Simon A and SKean like this.
  22. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm

This link will show you all the QUAD titles (I believe) that WERE available on LP or 8 Track back in the day. I didn't think this page was about speculation but on Actual releases that may be available from the Record Labels. I doubt anything NOT officially released by the labels would see the light of day except in underground circles.

23. Randu

Randu Senior Member

What would some of the best ways to play original quad lps not having discrete quad equipment?
    Is there a DTS, Neo6... format that seems to perform best?

24. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

I have no idea if there was ever a quad mix done, but the classic FOCUS albums 'Moving Waves ' and ' Hamburger Concerto' would be mind blowing.

SKean likes this.
  25. fredblue

Well Audio Fidelity have already managed to liberate a few previously unreleased surround music mixes..
    (Al Kooper/Stills/Bloomfield "Supersession" in 5.1, Blood Sweat & Tears "Child Is Father To The Man" also 5.1 and most recently the prev unreleased Quad of Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" and prev cancelled Sony 5.1 of Bob Dylan coming next month) so things are pretty interesting.. I'm certainly feeling optimistic for more of the same from Audio Fidelity based on their track record in that respect :)

Simon A, zobalob and Steel Horse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.