Stone Temple Pilots are holding open auditions for new singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Some of those audition tapes are hilariously bad.

When that one 70s band replaced their lead singer who couldn't sing anymore that blew the doors wide open.

Can you imagine the meeting these days given how big bands are more like small corporations now?

Vocalist: Hey guys what's up?
    Band: Um, yeahhh, 4 out 5 members of this organization have chosen to go in another direction in the vocalist position.
    Vocalist: Huh? What?
    Band: We have a generous severance package for you. Have a nice day.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Ophelia likes this.
  2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Not hard to do better than Chester Bennington.

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Their's no way. There band wouldn't take him. They're guitarist is too hard to please.

telepicker97 and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

hmm I wonder what Gary is up to these days.
    Or maybe Ray Wilson.
    Ah the hell with it. Isn't that kid from Silverchair available?

5. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I'd give Josh Todd from Buckcherry a shot.

driverdrummer and heatherly like this.
  6. Gypsy0052

Gypsy0052 Member

I know they had Chester Bennington on board and he quit. I just think it's too soon after Scott Weilands death. If it were months from now, I would feel different.
    Too soon.

Lost In The Flood and George P like this.
  7. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Woah Sternodox I was thinking the EXACT SAME thing...

Lena Hall is who I had in mind...Perfect tone and timbre to sing those songs and man oh (wo)man can this lady ROCK!!! Check out how she goes from tuneful singing to full on wailing and all without her in ear monitor which she takes out at the 25 second mark!

anthontherun, segue and Sternodox like this.
  8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This.
    I think the problem with that clip is no singer, otherwise I thought they were on.
    And also Army Of Anyone.

Anyone? Anyone? I didn't think so...

Actually, I have that album, listened to it twice, and my takeaway is that all the music would be better with Weiland. Oh well.
    Did you see Joss Stone Temple Pilots on the Jimmy Kimmel show? No? It's just as well. Neither she nor the horn section were making the music happen.

9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Maybe they could get some tough, theatrical female singer like Kat Robichaud.

10. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

They should take a lesson from the book of Jimmy Page and disband.

Ophelia and driverdrummer like this.
  11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I'm really surprised CBS isn't all over this.

12. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Was sort of done by The Rossington Collins Band. Limited success as they were still close to their prime. In the case of STP, they are (maybe unfortunately) looking for someone to sing the hits (new material or not).

13. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

Lena is awesome, what a voice! I've seen her do a few small club things and she was pretty amazing. I don't think I've ever seen her mentioned on this board before.

14. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Um...see my previous post. Lena Hall would help reinvent this band and take them to the next level on so many levels!

zebop likes this.
  15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

There's Eric Dover from Jellyfish that can do an admirable job on vocals!
    I always loved Eric Dover in Jellyfish - a great addition to that band!

telepicker97 and Ophelia like this.
  16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

INXS realized the hard way that Michael Hutchence was a great lead singer and dynamic frontman that (despite their best efforts to do so) could NOT be replaced.
    Same thing applies to Stone Temple Pilots.

17. Further

Further Forum Resident

Best of luck to them but I don't see this working out the way that they want. They might be able to maintain and maybe grab a few new fans who don't know any better but unfortunately they will never surpass what they accomplished with Scott, especially for those of us that were there from the beginning and grew with the band through the years.

I'm certainly interested in what they do musically but I have no interest in a new vocalist fronting STP. It's like The Doors replacing Morrison - it can't be done and really, out of respect for their incredible body of work, shouldn't be done.

George P and heatherly like this.
  18. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

How about Ian Astbury from The Cult?That'd be a great project.

19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

She is very talented but she doesn't really sound like a rock singer. She sounds like a Broadway singer singing rock, which is what she is.

She also has enough of a career that she probably wouldn't need or want the gig.

drasil likes this.
  20. segue

What? Lena Hall has a great rock voice...check out her band The Deafening ..I've seen her sing a few times and she can totally rock.

I doubt she'd want the STP gig though

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  21. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I've heard a bunch of her stuff. She sings her ass off but she sounds like a musical theater singer...to me.

drasil likes this.
  23. segue

Actually, Lena Hall's probably too hard rock for STP !

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Eddie Vedder!:nyah:

Ivand likes this.
  25. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

anything is better than Chester Bennington - - being brothers - The Deleos will always be a "unit" - so to speak - so - might as well keep the name - had they done this right after Scott died - without ALREADY having moved on to another singer - it might be in poor taste - but as it is - nah.......if they are lucky they will discover some kid with a nasty rasp to his voice and it will be great - they can still write riffs with the best of them - - -side note - over the last several years - Ive probably heard more STP on classic rock than any other 90s era band (Nirvana and Alice in Chains probably being close seconds) - my question is - are they going in the Rock and Roll hall of fame(?) - I mean - Green Day got in - which sort of lowers the bar - in my book - and they (STP) probably had the best "spread" of hits across an entire decade....not just confined to a couple years - ideas?

ARK, George P and heatherly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.