Your favorite recording of a theatrical production

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghostworld, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a new favorite (among many), the 1994 London Palladium Cast Recording of Lionel Bart's "Oliver." Very nice clean recording with almost perfect sense of space to the voices. And in addition to that, it's a corker of a production with the actress singing the role of Nancy being spectacular on more than one number. And. of course, best of all: Johnathan Price as Fagan. Great as always.

details

• Label: Angel Records
    • ASIN: B000002SLN

2. DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe Forum Resident

Perhaps because it was the first recorded version I was exposed to, but the only version of Les Mis I care to listen to is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Les-Miserables-Complete-Symphonic-Recording/dp/B0002E5L62.

I saw this on Broadway in the 80s, and years later when I went to get the music for it, this was the one they had at the store, and now the exact intonation of the singers is burned in my brain. I really love this version of "On My Own", which is sung by a Japanese girl who apparently didn't know English, and learned the song phonetically. I had always thought her voice sounded very unique with a hint of an accent, and when I found out she was Japanese it all made sense. Still gives me chills when I hear this song, just as it did when I saw it live.

I especially love Fantine and Javert's voices in this version as well. Highly recommended!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.