Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's just a straight arm tube mounted to the rest of the standard SL-1200 tonearm. There isn't anything "DJ" about it other than it being the standard SL-1200 tonearm. If you can give me a reference that says it will destroy your records, I'd appreciate it.

englishbob likes this.
  2. missan

missan Forum Resident

It has no offset angle for one thing. Nothing to use if you want an arm to play records.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Was there some advantage to S arms, like it mimicked the geometry of a longer straight arm?

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

No the curved arm is only for convenience when using an SME type of headshell. That is why there is no need to make a curved arm with a fixed headshell, then the arm in reality is obsolete.

5. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Some discussion here with a link. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/advice-for-stanton-tt.421489/#post-12029323

http://www.kabusa.com/str8_doc.htm

Issue is specifically with elliptical style, but I'm sure anything that is not conical or spherical will have similar results.

6. missan

missan Forum Resident

Just a note on this type of arm. It is possible to use a straight arm with no offset, but then the arm must be very long, like 16" or more. There are arms like this that are well regarded, but loong.

Billy Budapest and OcdMan like this.
  7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Yes. There is a proper way to do a straight arm as in the FX-R Funk Firm arm tube mod for the 1200 arm (which I don't think is offered anymore). Without an offset angle and using anything other than a conical stylus, yes there is potential to damage both stylus and record. The short straight arm with no offset is a DJ arm. It's used to help reduce the chance off the arm jumping out of the groove for turntablists (scratching, back-cueing, etc.). I thought that was pretty common knowledge as it's been discussed many times before. Sometimes one will see a Pierre Clément mono cartridge on a longer straight tonearm; however, a close look reveals the actual stylus of the cart is offset in those cases.

PhilBiker and Billy Budapest like this.
  8. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Yes, because I know it's a tonearm the Dynavector looks kinda weird. If I didn't know what it was, I think it would look like an interesting piece of equipment, if you know what I mean.

Others that can look good on the 1200 are the older SME tonearm, as long as you have the right armboard. I like the Series III on black 1200s.

9. Ah, gotcha. THIS is the type of info I am looking for.

10. Thanks for the info. I don't know much about the DJ world, I guess!

11. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

If it wasn't for them................................

12. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

13. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

This thread died (no doubt due to the 4000K asking price) quickly.

Any more news on this thing?

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Someone needs to start an online petition to get Panasonic to retail the new SL1200 for under $2K.

15. pez

pez Forum Resident

16. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

This hasn't been posted here yet? It was all over the place last month!

17. pez

pez Forum Resident

Couldnt find it here when i searched. I hope its cheap!!!

18. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

The earlier 28-page thread is HERE.

And as one of the last posters noted, the thread pretty much died when news came out that asking price for the "new" table is $4000.

MikeInFla and kman like this.
  19. russk

russk Forum Resident

I would love a new SL1200 but not 4K love... VPI Prime is a seriously fine table

johnny q likes this.
  20. pez

pez Forum Resident

Wow! Yep id rather a cheaper rega than pay that

21. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Gotta say, all the bitching and complaining about the price of this table before it is even released seems a "little off". From what I've read, this thing is a completely different animal than the SL-1200 Mk2. For example, from initial descriptions, at least, the new DD motor appears to be SOTA. At $4k retail, I'm guessing the street price will be in the $3,500 range, right?

22. pez

pez Forum Resident

Lol I'll have 2 then

23. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Why would you do that: you could get 3 or 4 of the cheaper Regas, right? :) You know, I'd love to buy a Tesla Model S for $35k. That said, I'm not going to complain that it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $80k?

james likes this.
  24. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

C'mon I'd say most of us earn around $200K a year. Price shouldn't be and issue. o_O I'll buy at least one or two. :magoo:

pez, MikeInFla and Gavinyl like this.
  25. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

But looking at the R&D that went into this new table, it seems to be more of a SP10 mk.4 just inside a SL-1200 plinth. I was never quite interested in the 1200 before, but I have to say this new table is peaking my interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.