Opinions Wanted- Hegel integrated amps*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RiCat, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got the itch once again to get new stuff. At present I am using a CJ Motiff8 Pre and a Hafler SE240 amp to power my Focal 948's. I am very pleased with the sound but then there is the itch. I use mostly digital sources and no vinyl. I am consider Hegel integrated either a 300 (lots hitting the used market) or a new 360. The speakers stay no matter what for now. I have also considered just an amp change as the CJ is a fine front end. I would like any thoughts from your experience with Hegel sound, and suggestions for possible amp change out (power or integrated alt.).

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

A Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum or Stereo 100 power amp should make things sound very sweet.
    -Bill

3. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I bought a used H300 2 months ago to use with my Sonus Faber Olympica II speakers. I've used the internal DAC with an Oppo 105 and the Auralic Aries mini quite a bit and it works very well.

I think it's a wonderful integrated amplifier. In my system, the Hegel sounds very clear, clean and powerful. The improvement in resolution was surprising as far as hearing small details in the music. It hasn't been fatiguing or harsh in any way. It has good soundstage width, and the only area I would say is a minor weakness is in soundstage depth. It does decent at that, but not as good as my tube amp.

I've also used it with my Harbeth C7es3's and my brother's Acoustic Zen Crecendos and it has been great with all three sets of speakers. I would highly recommend it.

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Hegel.... priced as though it's built in Norway.

Actually built in China.

kbuzz likes this.
  5. jdsher

jdsher Forum Resident

I spent several hours listening to a Hegel integrated mated with a Rega CD player when I auditioned my Proacs. I must say it was an excellent amp, way nicer than my current 20+ year old ARC stuff.
    Jon

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

listened to the H160 on a few occasions, once with seiouus intent. it imprinted its sound signature to every speaker that was connected to it- kef, sonus faber, tannoy. made them all sound similar- an overbearing relentless midbass that became irritaring, pleasant yet recessed high frequencies and an overly smooth blah / bland midrange. i read the glowing reviews but i literally hated the sound. one of the most over rated audio products i have experienced.

ls35a likes this.
  7. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I'm surprised by your experience with the Hegel H160 and can't explain why you had the experience you did, but I can say without reservation that none of the issues you heard during your demo have been the case in any of the three systems I've used the H300 in.

But it does illustrate the importance of listening for yourself if at all possible, clearly we're all going to hear things differently.

George P likes this.
  8. AmosM

AmosM Courtier to Queen Jane

Heard a Hegel integrated for more than an hour this weekend auditioning a VPI Scout and a Classic 1 via Parasound phono stage and Martin Logan speakers. The synergy of the relatively inexpensive system was astonishing, especially the Classic showed what the Hegel could produce on the lower end, clean and tuneful and fast. I couldn't believe there were no tubes anywhere in the setup.

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Absolutely. Plus the H160 was quite unattractive / unimpressive looking. Reminded me of a black plastic Bose wave radio. Seriously.

ls35a likes this.
  10. kbuzz

kbuzz Forum Resident

I've heard it apshows and it sounded wonderful. However as the post noted above. It's made in China not Norway. Whether you have an issue with this is a personal decision. For me the decision is made for if the maker does not disclose where the product is made and or hints and prices it's a first world made product but is not.

I think classe audio may fall into this category as well

beowulf and ls35a like this.
  11. RiCat

I have been offered to audition a Primare A34.2? Never heard of it? Just read some online things about it so do not know if it is a consideration. I would need to give over cash to get it to my home so I am not so fast to do it.

12. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

What price point are you looking for in this change?

13. RiCat

It depends on what I will buy, for just a new power only up to 3.5k for an integrated replacing the CJ pre as well another 1k-2k. I am considering used and new as acceptable.

14. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I think Musical Fidelity integrated amps sound great and the one I have (the kW500) has an excellent phono section too. I'm a big advocate of big power and their upper tier amps have it. I bought mine used and paid about half (retail) price. It seems like integrated amps are currently in vogue, so there are many more candidates available than when I bought mine. The Hegels have been getting good press, as have Plinius. Good luck!

15. RiCat

I have sort of narrowed down what I am looking at. Parasound A21 and the Anthem A2. Has anyone heard the two at the same time?

16. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

My Hegel H160 arrived last week-end - I have about 20 hours on it so far - hoping for a lot more by the end of next week-end!

At that point I'll do some better notes - but my initial feeling is that it holds on to my LS50s in a good way, whereas the amplifier it replaced (Exposure 2010s2 integrated - which I will keep for a second system with some of the floorstanders I have 'spare') fed the sound to the speakers and let them run away with it. The other initial impression is a bigger (wider and deeper, not noticeablly taller) soundstage with more 'air' around all of the individual musical elements.

Impressed so far - once I think the amp / my brain / both (take your pick) has burned in I'll post more. I've read reviews where supposedly the amp really opens up some more at around 100 hours - but these things are so subjective....

My main reason for buying was from the upgraded audio sound perspective - but for £2,100 (I got 10% discount) - I also got an upgraded DAC for my CD player, and a way to do 2 channel digital sound for my TV, PS4 and TV Cable box, so a lot of 'bonus' wins.

So far I've noticed a greater leap in quality on CD than vinyl - but that makes sense given that the CD player has essentially had a DAC AND amplifier upgrade...!!

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You're buying a high quality amp, built and finished to a standard commensurate with the brand. The geography of where it's built is probably more for the benefit of the company owners than end users like us.

TeflonScoundrel likes this.
  18. RiCat

I just agreed to purchase a Bryston 4BSST2. This model is not discontinued in favor of the new 4BSST3 (cubed no longer squared). The new versions have refinements including a new input stage design. The deal on the closeout was to good to pass by. The amp should be here next week and I look forward to it. Thanks to all who took the time to input.

19. Love my 4BSST2 - probably going to sell my 4BSST get a SST3 and move the SST2 to the second system...

20. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I'm interested in these Hegel amps too based on reviews and the sound I usually prefer, gotta check one out. Probably the 360. It would compete with my old 100w Krell amp/preamp and Theta DAC that date back to 1992. I just replaced my CD transport last year so I am good to go there. I love the new one box solutions that include a DAC and are ready for streamed hi res music files, something I have no experience with to date. I think Quad has one too close in price. My speakers are Harbeth SHL5+ and their designer, Mr Shaw, is a big advocate for high powered solid state gear driving his speakers. It would be interesting to see if the state of the art has advanced since '92 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.