Scary passages in classic albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melo85, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's a good one. Even though I KNOW it's coming I always feel a little shock.

There is a similar passage on Sonic Youth's "Confusion Is Sex" when "Now I Wanbe Be Your Dog" suddenly crashes into "Freezer Burn".... shocking...

2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Three?? I've got The Muppet Show and The Muppet Show 2, and a couple of others like the John Denver Christmas album and Miss Piggy's workout album, but is there one I don't know about??

3. Smack

Smack Shadows taller than our souls

This scared me as a child. Also the bit at the end of KISS Destroyer, now known as "Rock n Roll Party".

supernaut likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Frankie Teardrop from the 1st Suicide album. The whole track but especially the loud, intense screaming! The whole LP has such a dark and sinister atmosphere.

jimmydean, jimod99, Uther and 3 others like this.
  5. "Wind Chimes" from The Beach Boys' Smiley Smile.

giantleech, CMcGeek, 905 and 6 others like this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The build-up in A Day In The Life is pretty creepy. It's just a collage of really intense sounds that keeps building and building.

7. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

In Kate Bush's "All We Ever Look For" from 'Never For Ever', there's a section with footsteps walking across the sound field (right to left, left to right). Each and every time I listen to it with headphones on I jump out of my skin thinking someone's walking behind me!

My nephew and myself used to put in my sister's copy of "Thriller" and then run out of the room terrified!

supernaut likes this.
  8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The Krautrock-like ending to Bowie's Sweet Thing-suite sounds really menacing.
    Actually, Neu!, Can or Faust should be mentioned in this thread, without a doubt! King Crimson is another act with lots of creepy moments.

geogaddi83 likes this.
  9. Phil Tate

Yes!! "Aumgn" is terrifying, as is "Blind Mirror Surf" from The Lost Tapes.

The "breathing" accordian in "Death Take Your Fiddle" by Spiritualized, from Songs In A&E, is pretty unnerving.

The lid of the Martian cylinder unscrewing then falling off, along with that extraordinary bass line in The War Of The Worlds remains the most frightening thing I've ever heard. I had to fast forward the cassette at that point when I was little.

supernaut likes this.
  10. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Queen "Get Down Make Love"...the who song is creepy but that interlude was settling as a kid. Then there's the album cover, etc.

supernaut likes this.
  11. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Kate Bush with "Waking the Witch" and on The Dreaming with "Get Out of My House." She can be bone chilling when she wants to be.

And +1 for some of the stuff on News of the World in combination with that cover.

12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The guitar solo in The Doors' "When The Music's Over." (Studio version)

ponkine likes this.
  13. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Laurie Anderson - Big Science. Chock full of unsettling moments. Builds up to the middle of the album, first song on side two, "O Superman."

Old Rusty likes this.
  14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

The Muppet Show Music Album ('79). No sketches, but all songs from season 3. Admittedly the least-known from the three, and not released in the US (UK and Australia only).

Phil Tate likes this.
  15. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

That weird instrumental bit in Strawbs 'Queen of Dreams' on Grave New World.

16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I heard Hamburger Lady by Throbbing Gristle when I was 17 or something. Very unsettling. Still is.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Great pick. It's hard to even make out what they're saying, but it sure sounds tense. That line up of King Crimson was good at delivering those spooky moments. See also "The Mincer" from Starless & Bible Black, which sounds like something out of a horror soundtrack ("Fingers creeping, lingered shrieking. . . "), or the unhinged instrumental "Providence" from Red.

18. Phil Tate

Thanks! I've never seen that one. I'll look out for it!

19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Godley and Creme's "Consequences" album had many unsettling instrumental passages, including "Burial Scene" where (especially in headphones) one has the sensation of being in a coffin while dirt is shoveled onto the lid... good times!... :)

Scooter59 likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

How could I forget these two? Excellent choices, both great bands!!!

21. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

As for the first two: the UK versions (on Pye) have 1 or 2 more tracks each than their American counterparts (on Arista)...
    And there also exists a second Denver/Muppets album: Rocky Mountain Holiday from '83.

Phil Tate likes this.
  22. htom

htom Senior Member

"Touched" from Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Perhaps "musical nausea" might be a better description...

23. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The ending of the track on Hounds Of Love where Kate says, "Go to sleep, little Earth."

supernaut likes this.
  24. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Alice Cooper has a lot of unsettling moments on those early albums.
    The song Killer itself sounds eerie and celebral, as if you're about to meet the devil himself.

Is The Cure's Subway Song already mentioned? :yikes:

CMcGeek, mfp and brunofaetten like this.
  25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

A special mention to the volume control in The Talking Drum. Play it in the car at night and you feel like you're being chased. The Great Deceiver box set's also one big creep-fest.

Zongadude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.