Budget Cartridge for Rega Planar 2?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiomac, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident Thread Starter

My system is mostly file based from my own ripped CDs but I do also have a turntable for my old records. It's a 1990s Rega Planar 2 with the straight RB250 arm (through a Rega Fono Mini), with the original cartridge and stylus on it, which I believe is a Rega Bias (the green one).

It sounds ok, but I was thinking about replacing it (the cartridge); it is over 20 years old after all. I don't want to spend a lot, under £40 is what I'm thinking and the obvious candidates appear to be the Rega Carbon and the Audio Technica AT95E; both under £25 at Amazon UK.

Thoughts?

Thanks....

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd not go cheap here. A new Rega Bias 2, which has improved sound over the original, is £79.
    -Bill

Ntotrar likes this.
  3. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

I agree; why take a backward step? The AT95E is an OK cartridge if a bit rough around the edges, but the RB250 is worthy of better. I can't comment on the Carbon. Just depends on your expectations; you've already decided on your budget - which is fair enough - so who are we to try to change your mind?

4. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

Do you have the one with green lettering? That's the one I have. If you can't spring for the Bias 2, I'd get the Audio Technica over the Carbon. Seems to be generally lauded for the price and it's green!

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a Bias on a RP1 (my back up TT) and whether I'm using it with a Sansui Clasique 250 or Riga Brio I have not been disappointed.

6. audiomac

Yes, the green lettering!

7. audiomac

Ok, what would provide the biggest improvement for a modest price?

8. audiomac

Another thing; if I drop the arm on one of the innermost tracks, the arm will drift out towards the outer edge, only by 5-10mm, but is that normal? If not, how can I fix that?

Thanks

9. Liquid Len

Sounds as though you need to adjust anti-skate/bias (the sliding button on the arm base below the arm itself, by the cueing lever). It should be set at approx the same as your tracking force (VTF) i.e, VTF = 1.75g, bias = 1.75. Play around with it and you should find the point where it ceases to drift. Are you sure that your cartridge is aligned and your VTF set correctly?

As for cartridge alternatives; if you are set on spending around £40, certainly look at an AT95E, but also consider the Goldring Elan (£50 - good tonal balance with decent bass + top-end; can be 'upgraded' by fitting 'Elektra' stylus to Elan body); Grado Prestige Black (£55 - decent bass, excellent mids but sometimes prone to hum with Rega arms/decks), Nagaoka MP-100 (£65) & Ortofon OM10 (£65). Of course, at this point you are approaching the price of a new Rega Elys 2 anyway! The trouble with carts is you can't try before you buy, so its a bit of a gamble. Try to read as much as you can and make a judgement based on the kind of music that you listen to. I went for a Goldring 1012GX (good on a Rega arm but more than you want to spend) and have never looked back!

Hope this is helpful?

Have fun.

shutdown66 likes this.
  10. audiomac

Thanks Len......Good info. By the way re bold lettering: did you mean Bias 2?

I can only assume the alignment and VTF is set properly; I've never touched it. Everything 'sounds' ok to me, perhaps a little sibilant. I'll have to check the Bias and A/S.

At the moment, my cueing dampener looks to be interfering with the lift which makes the arm move anyway so I've been a bit misled by that action.

Onwards and upwards!

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Will you need to get a VTA spacer if you use a non Rega cart?

12. Liquid Len

Sorry Audiomac, yes I meant Bias but the Elys isn't too much more at £85! I really would start by ensuring that your arm & cart are set-up properly; invest in an alignment protractor and VTF scale and get them fettled. It's impossible to assess a cartridge properly if set-up is out. Can be fiddly, but persevere - it's well worth the effort.

I've never bothered with shims on my Planar 3/RB300/1012GX and it sounds superb - to me. It all boils down to how important you feel SRA/VTA is.

shutdown66 likes this.
  13. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I don't have experience with a lot of carts, but I really like the Nagaoka mp-110 on my Rega RP-1. There are several other fans here.

CCrider92 likes this.
  14. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

And I am one of them! No need for me to look further! I've got 6 or so carts - some at twice the price of the Nag 110 - and they do not perform like the Nag in my humble estimation. The 110 was the last one in my search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.