Devore Orangutan 0/93 & Zu Druid V - similar?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mds, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

They are optional, but yes they do.

james likes this.
  2. james

james Summon The Queen

Thank you. Couldn't find a photo online, so I wasn't sure

3. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I think the issue a lot of the time is the front end gear and less about the speakers. I have heard ZU sound very good, and DeVore sound very good and AN sounds good - the latter ensures that by being in control of what is in front of them - SET amps and NOS CD players.

I would say that DeVore and AN sound more refined than what I have heard from Zu Audio however and over longer listening I think both are at a higher level. But they come with higher level prices too and so they should offer something for the added expense.

4. voxshall

voxshall Forum Resident

I own O96's and would defiantly say they can be forgiving to bad recordings, with the right matching gear. When i changed to my current system from my previous system (large Quad electrostatic's) my entire record collection opened up. Not because the Quads are harsh on treble because they are forgiving as well but because I started listening differently. I no longer concentrated on listening to well recorded music for the majority of the time. My current system still has great detail, but it has me listening in a different way. With the Quads I listened to the quality of the recording and the details of the sound I was stuck in my head analyzing the great sound and continually chased better recordings, ending up listening to music that wasn't even my type of music to listen too, just because it was well recorded. With the O96's (shindo amps) I moved from listening with my head into listening with my heart. I felt the rhythm of the song and admired the musicians interacting with each other, it was the groove that had me hooked rather than analyzing the quality of the recording. The cymbals are felt as sweet tingles of goodness and have a more detailed tone and timbre yet its the skill of the drummer than I am captivated by rather than the quality of the recording. I'd be just as happy with the O93's as I am with the O96's. I know I'm late to the party and your happy now with your current stuff, but I thought I would post as what you were wondering was exactly what I experienced moving to a Devore Orangutan system.

5. james

james Summon The Queen

I assumed you demoed both? going with the 93's would allow me to upgrade my phono stage, buy a SUT and even a new DAC for the price difference of the 96's....and I could do them piecemeal. I've heard the 96's, but not the 93's. Local dealer told the 93's are a bit warmer?

I wonder if the 93's are any easier to position in a room than the 96's? I do prefer the looks of the 96's by a large margin...at least in their most common veener.

6. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I would say the O/96's do better in a medium to large room, while you can fit the O/93's in a smaller space. My room is about 12 x 17, but I have them set up on one side of the room that is roughly 12x12.

bhazen likes this.
  7. james

james Summon The Queen

great, thanks. i can't recall the size of my room, but I can't imagine it's much more than 12x12

8. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I don't think the Zu's are in the same league as the Orangutans, myself. You NEED to go listen to the DeVore's before dropping any cash. I'd listen to at least a couple other models from different manufacturers too, for comparison. Maybe even stuff that isn't on your list, but that the dealer has.
    BTW, no-one expects to pay full price... ask them what their best price on would be, at least.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    james likes this.
  9. voxshall

voxshall Forum Resident

I have demoed both and for me I would be happy with the 93's, they are very similar and would be easier to integrate into smaller rooms. Sound awesome with shindo but also sounded really good with Line Magnetic 219IA 845 SET integrated Amplifier.

james likes this.
  10. james

james Summon The Queen

are they easier to integrate due to decreased bass output?

11. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Yes. Though it's not by much.

james likes this.
  12. voxshall

voxshall Forum Resident

Yeah "not by much" is exactly how I would describe it. I'd say the difference between them isn't massive and if I moved from O96's to O93's I really wouldn't mind to much in terms of sound. In fact getting a well balanced system (phono, SUT, Dac etc) with the O93's would sound better than using O96's with gear designed around contrasting philosophies. Devore often uses A23 cables and SUT, EMT cart etc Using gear along these lines allows the O93/O96 to really show off all its subtle magic attributes, which to me is why I spend extra money to get the speakers in the first place.

james likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.