SoundStage Direct - Tunrtable trade in program

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matt123, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt123

Matt123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I spoke to someone there to get a quote for my Debut III. I didn't follow through, but it seems like a straightforward process, and I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call or send an email.

3. Matt123

Matt123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a debut III as well. I'll contact them.

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I filled out the form on their website almost a week ago (I'm considering possibly moving from my Rega RP6 to a VPI), and have heard nothing back.

How long do they usually take to respond, I wonder...?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I'd give them a call. They answer the phone.

6. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and call around some. I was originally going to trade mine in there but found other dealers that were offering up to $600 to $800 more for the trade. I ended up buying a demo RP10 and just going to sell my Classic 2 on my own after doing some comparisons between the VPI and Rega. That being said, I did turn down an earlier offer from Seth that was very generous due to some issues with VPI but I was just not quite ready to pull the trigger yet - give credit where it's due. The other thing about SSD is they are VERY easy to reach on the phone.

If you want to deal with them Seth I believe is the owner of the store (and very chummy with MW also I believe due to proximity). I'd look to buying a used VPI and just sell the table on your own. You'll save a lot of $$$ in the process which you could roll into more vinyl (or take your family on a trip!). But it ultimately comes down to what you feel comfortable with personally.

I'd highly recommend also if you are not familiar with setup of VPI tables to read up on it and get the necessary tools to do it yourself if you plan on doing this transaction through the mail. It's not difficult, just time consuming and tedious in the beginning. If it's one of the JMW arms don't even think about doing the setup without the use of a Counter Intuitive on the counterweight. Seriously - trust me on that one!!!! I'd also recommend a digital VTF scale. The VPI setup guide is OK but felt the Dr. Freickert and MintLP protractors did a better job. If you want a better means of setting up the cartridge for azimuth you can either go with the "eyeball and ear" method from VPI or get a Fozgometer.

Good luck in whatever you chose to buy. BTW feel free to ask questions if you get a VPI about setup, I'd be glad to impart my knowledge to help you out (and many others here would be glad to also).

EDIT: Just saw you were in NE PA. I'd consider driving there personally if you buy from SSD. Let them setup your cartridge and drive it back. Don't trust it to be dead on with the gorillas from UPS and Fedex if they get their hands on it.

Long Live Analog and JPartyka like this.
  7. JPartyka

Thanks so much for this ... and for the post overall! I have Michael Fremer's DVD that includes a video on setting up a VPI Scoutmaster, and I can tell that VPI setup would be entirely different from what I'm used to with the Rega.

I do already have a digital VTF gauge; it makes the job much easier.

My plan for dealing with Soundstage Direct would definitely be to visit there in person. I'm actually close to that area a few times a month and it'd be no issue for me.

I am very open to getting a used VPI and saving some dough. I guess I'll just keep my eyes open and look for listings for a while. I'm not in any big rush.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  8. Suppertime

Suppertime Member

If you don't mind me asking what were your issues with VPI? I just bought a Prime and am wondering if there is anything I need to look out for.

Thanks.

9. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Sorry, no comment. It will just get deleted anyway.

Long Live Analog and dmckean like this.
  10. JPartyka

Well, I spoke too soon... I heard back from Seth today and got quite an attractive trade-in offer for my RP6. And had a very pleasant conversation in addition.

I've wanted to try a VPI for a long time. Decisions, decisions ... :)

11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Like mentioned above, be sure to check around with your local stores. There are several dealers (myself included) that will do deals similar to this.

12. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I received the same email last Monday. I filled out the form and received a callback in less than an hour. They gave me 100% of what I paid for my Clearaudio Concept (purchased in May 2015). I used the credit to purchase a VPI Scout 1.1. I shipped out the Clearaudio and they received it last Thursday. Still waiting (anxiously) for my VPI to arrive...

david zepeda, nwdavis1 and JPartyka like this.
  13. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

I just bought a VPI Aries 3D from Seth a few weeks ago. Couldn't be happier. Great service and it was at my door step (undamaged) in just a few days. Couldn't believe it got shipped out so fast, especially when they were having their blizzard.
    I had a chance to trade in a VPI Scoutmaster at a great trade-in price, but decided just to sell it on Audiogon instead.
    Great service and plan on using them again.

Highly recommend!

David

14. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Another Happy SSD trade-in customer, Seth gave me a VERY fair amount for my Classic 1 toward a new Classic Signature SE :righton:

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

This ploy is clear proof that this absurd turntable craze is coming to end and eight track tapes will reign supreme once again!

Daedalus and toddrhodes like this.
  16. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I just have a nice wind up Victrola, cactus needles and some shellacs. Sounds great. Why would I want to trade anything in?

Daedalus likes this.
  17. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Just wanted to chime in and give seth and Co. a little shout out. I traded in my 20+ year old VPI HW-19 for a VPI Scout 2. Great transaction and fair. I was not anxious to sell my HW-19 on fleabay, I mean it is an old TT and I would have to deal with any set up issues down line. Dealing with SSD I think I got a fair trade and no headaches.

18. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Soundstagedirect rocks! And Seth is a standup guy. I'm a satisfied customer.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  19. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Why did you find a need to sell your HW-19, which is an excellent turntable? I can't think of one good reason to sell mine.

20. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I bought my VPI Classic 1 and cart from Seth about a year ago. He was great to work with and I was more than pleased with the deal he gave me. I recommend contacting him before buying elsewhere.

dharmabumstead likes this.
  21. RJJETS

RJJETS Forum Resident

Seth and the crew of Sound Stage Direct are the easiest to work with, ask questions about products and get an honest answer from. I've stopped shopping around because of the straight forward and professional way they do business is beyond any store I have purchased from. Oh yeah, the deals are great too! Thanks for my VPI Classic Signature. What an amazing table. If you are looking for a table call them first. Do your homework then call Seth. You will not be disappointed.

22. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

I talked to Seth and he gave me a great offer on my Concept. I wasn't/am not ready for a new turntable though.

I'm nervous about shipping a turntable. That's my problem.

23. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I used their services to upgrade from an OLD HW-19 to a new Scout II, they are just fantastic IMHO. Shipping a turntable should be done with care. It was a big job for sure. I completely disassembled my HW-19 and spent hours packaging each part separately. I was on the floor cutting cardboard and foam blocks and making sure everything was well protected. Plastic baggies for small parts and screws. I bought a big box from the UPS store to put all the smaller boxes in.
    I appreciate that at the other end Seth and his gang were happy to reassemble the table and picture it for sale, then I guess they packed it up again for some lucky buyer.

24. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

I am going to give it shot, and will let you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.