The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story -- FX series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BEAThoven, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I wonder if the civil trial had anything to do with that.

Aggie87 likes this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It seems like a good time to mention to those watching the series that if you haven't already you should read Vincent Bugliosi's book about O.J.'s trail Outrage.

Mark E. Moon and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

newsflash...Cuba Gooding Jr believes O.J. is innocent.

4. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Not that it excuses his dispicable crimes, but the new theory about repetitive concussions to the head of football players causing permanent brain damage might point towards explaining his fits of rage and schizoid behavior.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  5. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

That's a good point!

I was amazed that after the trial was over and he was living in Miami and trying to lay low he ended up in a crazy road rage incident where he flipped out on somebody.

Also... mentioned before was that rich white people were 100% sure of his guilt... I don't think so. In fact I knew some rich white folks in Palm Beach who played golf with OJ and were certain of his innocence. I think the cult of celebrity and the nice guy that he was on the links certainly swayed the opinions of many.

6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I'm enjoying the show but two things really annoy me. I don't remember OJ having a raspy voice at all. There were moments during last night's episode where I thought Cuba was channeling his Radio character.

Also any reference to the Kardashian kids makes me want to vomit it. So unnecessary.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Didn't realize at the time they cut into other broadcasts like the NBA Finals to go to OJ.

8. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Second episode was terrible... Spending an hour on the Bronco chase was a really bad decision. No drama, no suspense. Just a lot of whining.

9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

As a rockets fan that's what made it even more memorable. It was their first finals in years, I was at a buddy's house watching it as they split screened it. Surreal.

Watched last nights episode. The kardashian kids was a huffs turn off. I get Roberts role in it, but seeing those idiot kids multiple times, enough already.

EVOLVIST and bababooey like this.
  10. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

As many here, I was old enough to remember the entire saga back in '94-'95, but I saw it all "from the outside" like most folks. This series is offering certain nuances "from the inside" that, if are indeed true, are interesting to me, at least.

For example, the drama is very much depicting lawyer Robert Shapiro (Travolta) as very concerned about his own reputation and stature right on television newscasts as the Ford Bronco chase is unfolding. In addition, I didn't know that OJ directly talked so much with Los Angeles law enforcement on Cowling's "car phone" during the Bronco chase. I didn't know much about Christopher Darden's background and home life -- according to this series, it appears he was pretty convinced of OJ's guilt from the beginning.

AKA likes this.
  11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

"This is Theo Huxtable. I have Cosby in the car. You know who I am, god damn it!"

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Anyone else remember this commercial? I think it was still in rotation when the murders happened.

13. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

The bronco chase was HUGE.. no surprise it filled an episode..

Standoffish likes this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

No, what he's said is that he doesn't know whether OJ is guilty or not. It's possible he really believes that, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's just feigning uncertainty to generate interest in the series, since a mystery is more intriguing than an open-and-shut murder.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Ed Hughes and AKA like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I suspect aging and changes in the population also are a factor in the gradual shift of opinion. I would bet that (all things being equal) people who remember OJ from his playing days would be more inclined to believe in his innocence than younger people who don't know him as anything except the guy who was tried for killing his wife and another man. So as older people die off and younger ones are born, there'd be a gradual shift towards belief in guilt.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Excellent point. It's notable that there's no documentation of any domestic violence in OJ's first marriage (which ended in 1979) whereas his second (to Nicole) was filled with such behavior. A shift in personality like that could indeed be due to brain deterioration caused by CTE. Of course, as you note it's not an excuse.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WRONG! He positively without a doubt said OJ is not guilty...

18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree with your last point. They would never be mentioned unless they were famous today.

19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I found the first two episodes to be a highly entertaining drama "based on actual events". The idea that Jeffrey Toobin has some sort of insider knowledge as to what every player was thinking is laughable. But, this is doing a good job of presenting the general story and in particular showing the nationwide impact this had at the time. I will watch until the end.

20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The thing that makes the series worth watching is how many lives his ego and murdering affected. How much his friends and family loved and looked up to him.

Sometimes, to see OJ run across a football field was almost like watching a dancer glide.

We put jocks and stars up on too high a pedestal.
    That immense power corrupts.
    Not just them, but us.

21. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I remember I was watching a Royals game, then all of a sudden a white Ford Bronco was driving along the highway. I watched for a bit, hoping they would go back to the Royals game, but they never did.

22. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I remember it well as OJ drove by here in his white Bronco. Not right by here but up the 5 freeway about 3 miles from here. There were lots of helicopters, much like when Nixon made his trip from El Toro to Yorba Linda for his funeral.

I remember several other things about the OJ case.

I was driving out to Telluride to work on TC's house with my worker, Brian. When we heard the first reports on the news, Brian wondered if it was Nicole before they mentioned her name. He knew her well because they were classmates at Dana Hills High School.

The other thing I remember is being in Vegas doing the final phase of the Hard Rock Hotel sound system installation, and it was right in the thick of the OJ trial. It was on everywhere, and it seemed that just about everybody was talking about it.

I haven't seen this show on FX but I probably will eventually.

23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Link?

San and AKA like this.
  24. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Unfortunately as a Knick fan, the'll always be synonymous. :sigh:

BNell likes this.
  25. AKA

AKA Senior Member

That isn't at all what he said. Read it again, this time for comprehension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.