Wood color of my Audio Note UK AN-E/SPx HE Alnico hemp speakers, had a request for a pic..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

16 ohms? Is this 1956? ;)

2. In the Shindo world it is. :) All their currently available amps have fixed 16 ohm output transformers and according to the importer they ideally want to see a 16 ohm load with low mass drivers ala Altec, old Tannoy, WE755 etc...

3. Steve Hoffman

thumb.jpg
    Got the actual wood color of my AN-E Alnicos from Warren Jarrett. Cherry, with lacquer. Audio Note Cherry finish is lighter than others. This is it, matches perfectly, the gloss makes the color more intense. From the "Down Under" AN Wood Finish chart:

Cherry, high gloss:
    http://www.audionote.com.au/Audio_Note_Australia/Product_Images.html#20

4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I will add, though it's not in the spirit of the thread, but doing a set of DIY speakers revealed a LOT for me in terms of thinking more macro in terms of reproducing something of this caliber many, many times over. It took some very talented, but otherwise busy, friends of mine months to build one set of cabinets. Just finding all the materials was a pain. And then you have the Crossovers - they were double what the actual drivers cost, and I'm at least using decent ScanSpeak drivers. Total cost to me? About $1400, give or take. Total cost for someone to design, build, and produce 1,000 of them? Would probably cost, just as a very rough guess, $2500, considering all that goes into such an effort. Which means you're talking about a $5000 set of speakers if you were to "retail" these at a national level.

So the short version is I absolutely agree with you. It's disingenuous to judge a speaker based on the cost of its component parts. Unless you're Bose using $2 drivers in a $1000 system (those little micro cube things from the '90's). That's the only time I've thought customers were paying more for a marketing budget than they were R&D and all the other stuff you included, flawed as my logic might be.

5. Steve Hoffman

I loved the blue drivers from the beginning, I guess it's because I heard them immed. and was told they were 98db good. To me, that means single-ended glory. So, the blue to me looks like....Freedom!

Raylinds likes this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Didn't realize the Jinro looked so much like the Ongaku.

7. finn

finn Forum Resident

Same size chassis and layout but about 20.5 kgs difference in weight with the Ongaku 48 kgs and the Jinro 27.5.

8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Is all the added weight do to power transformers ?

9. finn

finn Forum Resident

Silver weighs more than copper so that would contribute a certain amount as would the solid copper top plate as opposed to the Jinros aluminium top plate. As to the rest of the difference, maybe the transformer laminations contribute to the extra mass.

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Finn
    Have you ever had the chance to compare the Tomei to the Jinro or Ongaku? It is supposed to be almost at the same level as the Ongaku but at a much lower price, from what I have been told.

I was quite impressed with the power amp version and M6 Phono combo that I heard.

11. Steve Hoffman

Same thing, really. Without all the extra silver.

I'd love an Ongaku but I have to tell you that it could be too much of a good thing. I mean, it's a very detailed sounding integrated, the Jinro has less detail, but more of a big overall 3-D picture. Silver vs. Copper, that ol' chestnut.

The Jinro has a sonic presentation that I personally prefer. Good thing, too. The Jinro is about $90,000.00 less.

Tim 2 and Ozoid like this.
  12. finn

finn Forum Resident

I have never heard the Tomei so can't comment as to a comparison with the Jinro but given the component choice difference, I would expect a reasonable difference with the copper/silver transformers with the Perma 50 cores. With regards to Steve's comment over the sound of the Ongaku, it's not just a matter of extra detail, the authority over the speakers that the amp creates is its most resounding success in my humble opinion. Using the Elrog 211's allow even more of that character to be evident however my experiences of all of this is restricted to the power amp version, the Ongaku Kensei and using an M6 as a pre. I too shall be interred with my amp as with no offspring to pass it too, I don't want it disposed of for $10 in a yard sale. I just pity the pall bearers.

klonk likes this.
  13. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Well My AN E/Spx Alnico Hemps arrive tomorrow - spending a last evening with the awesome AN E/Lexus Hemps. I don't even need to move or change my stands - so that's always nice.

Poplar Burl will be the finish as it's the last model the dealer has.

[​IMG]

IanL, Don Parkhurst, Shiver and 6 others like this.
  14. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Have fun, Richard :-D Congratulations!

15. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

The new speakers will be awesome. I will say that even though I have a darker finish, I really like the Poplar Burl. It's beautiful!

16. Richard Austen

They're here... The sound difference is immediate and noticeable - so far just the first disc - acoustic guitar and piano - which were strengths of the E/Lexus but the pick (attack) and finish (decay) and everything surrounding notes is clear and here. Naturally my LM 215 is acting up - skipping and locking occasionally.

Kef LS-50 for size comparison

[​IMG]

17. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Indeed it is. If you find the sound too lean, just give it time. The bass will get reacher with time (a lot of time).

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have heard the Audio Note UK AN-E speakers... really nice Speakers in ist Price range. Not for every music, but great. ;)

19. mds

mds Forum Resident

Congratulations. Really nice speakers, I am sure they must sound fantastic and I love the wood finish, just beautiful! Can't see the photo comparison though.

20. Richard Austen

There doesn't seem to be an upload photo option. I posted it on audiokarma and I think to see the picture you have to be logged in on that forum. Strange. I will try again.

[​IMG]

IanL, formu_la and mds like this.
  21. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Congrats Richard. Now you have to get the Frosted Black w/Blue cone LS 50's so that they match!!

22. Richard Austen

That's not a bad idea. In Hong Kong they sold a special version of the KEF LS-50 where it was not piano black but a kind of leopard print that would have matched up with the Poplar burl a little better. I wish now I had bought the funky print version but it was $200 more and I was being cheap.

Selling my KEF LS-50 in Hong Kong might be a tough haul with the resale value being very VERY low here. Hong Kongers really don't like buying stuff made in China apparently.

My CD player is having issues. I stop and eject the disc and as the drawer opens the CD is still spinning on the tray - that can't be good :biglaugh::doh:

23. mds

mds Forum Resident

Wow that is a huge difference in size, not even close. I still am drooling over that finish.

24. Steve Hoffman

A little 000 steel wool might help get that spotting off of there.

Don Parkhurst and Richard Austen like this.
  25. Richard Austen

To be fair the KEF is behind the E.

Here is my old E/Lexus in Birdseye Maple with the Kef in the middle and my AN AX Two speakers and Line Magnetic 219Ia integrated

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.