The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I think there's a pretty good chance that an 80's/90's box set will come out before the end of the year. Andrew already stated that plans are in the works for that. I guess if the box set about to be released sells poorly, then they would probably cancel it. But I think this 1966-1970 release will do well. The podcast Zilch (#42 - The Monkees on Blu Ray) features the interview I'm speaking of. I'm pretty sure an 80's/90's release is going to happen, but it will probably only be a 2- or 3-disc set. The "Hey, Hey It's The Monkees" TV special from 97, their performance at Billboard Live for Justus and the "Heart And Soul" video release would all be likely inclusions. Hopefully we can get a complete concert from 1987 (when they performed a lot of deep cuts), and one of the London shows with Nez (which are supposedly in Davy's estate's possession).

There have been several references to "more surprises" during this 50th Anniversary calendar year, and I would expect this 80's/90's video collection to be one of them.

Midwest Rocker and Grand_Ennui like this.
  2. So early in the year we get younger Monkees on video (TV show blu-ray set) and older Monkees in audio (the new album) and at the end of the year we get older Monkees on video (reunion era) and younger Monkees in audio (MOTM box set). Sounds good to me. :righton:

3. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

When Rhino announced the "complete" contents of the Blu Ray box set not too long ago, some people here expressed disappointment about what wasn't being included. I had stated that I was pretty sure that there would, in fact, be more when the actual release came out. Well, in today's Zilch podcast, Rhino's John Hughes did specifically mention that the original, unaired pilot (in much better quality than what was seen on the DVD box set) would be featured on the bonus disc. He also stated that the very first Monkees performance (on the KHJ train on September 11, 1966) would be featured, as well.

So there's two more items to add to the special features of this release. I still feel that the other commentary tracks from the DVDs (from Frawley, Rafaelson, etc) will be on there, and I imagine a few other odds and ends that we don't know about will be present, too.

He also strongly hinted that the 80's/90's release was being worked on as well, but was somewhat cryptic. But that is what I was assuming he was referencing in the interview.

Here is a link to the interview:

http://zilchmonkeescast.blogspot.com/2016/02/zilch-49-good-times-coming-monkee-news.html

Pawnmower, goodiesguy, Galley and 3 others like this.
  4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I am going to skip this release ! I love the monkees but the cost of the set is too much I am not that worried as I am into the music more.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It'll come down eventually.

6. They've hinted that they'll be releasing a cheaper version of the set so keep an eye out.

fitzysbuna and D-rock like this.
  7. Probably not. That's never been the case with Monkees sets audio or visual. They usually skyrocket, especially after they go OOP. Monkees sets are best not to snooze on.

Drifter, Grand_Ennui and intv7 like this.
  8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

There are only 10,000 of these. I'm betting a year or two from now you'll only be able to find it for triple the price on eBay.

Hutch and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

But again, they'll be a budget version sometime after the deluxe set. And I bet that rare bonus disc will pop up from time to time on eBay.

10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I dunno about that. Can't imagine anyone actually splitting up the set to sell the bonus disc separately. If you're one of the 10,000 doling out the cash for it, you're keeping it intact!

Galley likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

True. I was thinking that from time to time you see the Head Bluray on eBay from the BBS set but you're right.. We're talking $200 bucks here.

There's still plenty of time before release date. Save a little each pay folks. It'll be worth it!!

12. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

c'mon April 29th!!!! Can't come soon enuff.

chad

BenB5150 and D-rock like this.
  13. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Yeah I've seen the BBS sets parted out on ebay, but while you probably won't see the bonus disc show up there, I'm sure it will be on youtube. Nowadays when I go to youtube and see the music videos I wonder how long will it take for all those to be replaced with blu-ray versions.

D-rock likes this.
  14. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

The burning question with this footage is, was it shot silent or is there audio?

MarkTheShark likes this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

So what is known about that 9-11-66 performance? Was it just Clarksville or more. Was it just the four of them and were they really doing all the playing and singing live?

16. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Here's some additional info according to: Monkees 1966 Promotional Tour »
    Los Angeles radio station KHJ staged perhaps the most ambitious event of the promotional tour on September 11, 1966. Contest winners rode on a train to the coastal town of Del Mar, California, which had been renamed 'Clarksville' for the day by the town's mayor. Landing on the beach in two helicopters and dressed in their signature double-breasted shirts, the band met approximately 400 winners of KHJ's radio contest. After the event, the group traveled by train with the contest winners back to Los Angeles. On one of the train cars, The Monkees gave their first true live public performance. Their set included Michael's "Papa Gene's Blues" and a cover of Baker Knight's "She's So Far Out She's In," a song that was later performed during the first Monkees tour in late 1966/early 1967 (and tracked, sans vocals, during the Headquarters album sessions in early 1967). An episode of the television series was also screened for fans. The day's events were filmed in color by KHJ for their Los Angeles music television program Boss City. The footage aired on September 17, 1966.

Grand_Ennui and Rfreeman like this.
  17. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I'll have to listen again, but I thought he said something more along the lines that he'd like to put together a reunion-era box, hypothetically. Still, I'd like to see it done, with everything you mentioned above.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

19. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

I love the film Head, so to read from Andrew's interview with Mojo last year that "we now have the original ending of the (Head) movie, where all four Monkees escape from the black box, and a scene from the beginning where you see their alter egos..." is fantastic. Yeah, that footage of them escaping isn't cut together, but it's exciting nonetheless. He also stated in the Zilch interview that there will be a LOT, then emphasized "a significant amount" of Head outtakes with a lot of exciting shots included in this set. That's a big "Wow!" for me. It's too bad that the "big chunk of film" mentioned that actually was edited together was falling apart and cost too much to restore, even though we should get some bits and pieces from that particular scene of Mike.

Although I'm not the biggest fan of 33 1/3 as an attempt to be whatever it's trying to be o_O , I am a fan of the musical numbers and can't wait to see the totally different take of "Goldilocks Sometime" along with the complete "Listen to the Band". I've always had a soft spot for "Goldilocks Sometime", and "Listen to the Band" is their last live performance of the '60s as a quartet and an awesome version of the song, so that's great. He said that there were 2 camera reels found, so hopefully some more goodies will be included from the special.

The perfect set would include all of the alternate songs with exclusive mixes (was every song on the TV show an exclusive mix?), including the syndication soundtracks even if they weren't exclusive mixes, so that is a significant downside. And it's too bad that the licensing for all of their TV appearances cost so much. However, I'm splurging for the set, regardless.

:cheers:

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I think a good solution for the alternate, TV exclusive mixes would be to have them all available on a TV show Soundtrack set on CD!

21. Midwest Rocker

Midwest Rocker Forum Resident

Good idea D-rock.:agree: - I'd buy that.

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I'm banking on it. If they pressed too many, down come the prices!

23. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

I haven't really heard any updates on this release. Haven't seen any clips or updates on their FB page. Is this still on track for release at the end of the month? Anyone know?

goodiesguy, D-rock and dasacco like this.
  24. I'm guessing it's been quiet because it is on track. Just a guess.

D-rock likes this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They put a hold on my card every week, so I assume it's going as planned.