The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. So strange. The amount of media hype going on this year is absolutely nuts. I can't believe Nez is missing out. This would do so much for sales of his wares and his rep in the music world. It's finally time for him and the others to get their due on the world stage and he's just chillin'. I'm a little shocked but all of this info is really exciting. Hats off to Dolenz, Tork, Sandoval, RHINO, and whoever else is behind all this. So who has anything to say about Changes (2015 remaster)?
    Hughes is a great interview.

bluejeanbaby and D-rock like this.
  2. sean4554

sean4554 Forum Resident

3. right, there was more clarification later in the ep that it is likely one song. I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that he takes lead on one of the umpteen songs being written by the leading names of 90s and early 00s power pop.

elvissinatra and Hutch like this.
  4. I want to be that good of a PR person when I grow up. Please don't hear this as cynical (because it's not) but my GOODNESS does that man know how to promote a brand..., um, band. ;-)

yellowballoon and Hutch like this.
  5. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

To quote my other favorite group: IT'S GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Forum Resident

Just read that "You Bring the Summer" by Andy Partridge would be the first single. Hope that happens!

7. seeknom

seeknom Forum Resident

Sarah,

It'd be really cool if they filmed the making of this album... seeing the guys in the studio etc... Perhaps you or your Zilch colleagues could get the idea to John Hughes? (or maybe they already thought of that and are already doing it?)

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  8. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

It's good to know that the stewards at Rhino-in-whatever-form-it's-in-now "get" the Monkees and embrace the company's 30+ year involvement with them. John Hughes appears to be leading a full-court press to get the guys at the forefront of pop culture again. After listening to the podcast, it sounds more and more like this 50th anniversary celebration is probably geared to extend into 2017 to celebrate Headquarters and PAC&J. The possibilities seem endless. Maybe Good Times!! and the groundswell around the Monkees in 2016 will rattle some cages, so to speak, for their inclusion in the RRHOF. Personally, I think it's a flawed organization but it would be nice to see them acknowledged for being a true one-off in pop history.

9. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

In like Flynn for the vinyl and cd. Monkeemania at my house!

cuddlytoy, Sammy Banderas and agundy like this.
  10. Not to burst any bubbles, but John basically just calls Ken when they have data to share--we actually don't know much more than you do much before you do, and we don't like to presume too much on our working relationship. Your best bet, assuming that John doesn't lurk here (which is totally possible-- if so, hi John! :) ) is to post your idea on zilch, tag him (he DOES lurk on Zilch), and see if you get silence, a yes, a no, or his famous "...wouldn't that be something? ;-)"

(side note--If I'm ever on a call with him I MUST compliment him on his ability to create a wink emoticon in audible form...)

yellowballoon likes this.
  11. seeknom

seeknom Forum Resident

Good thinking, will do! Thanks!

12. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

June 10 is also the anniversary of the very first Monkees recording session, produced by Snuff Garrett, at which they cut the now-lost early versions of "Let's Dance On" and "Take A Giant Step." Coincidence?

wayne66 and dangiedr like this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes, probably. :)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

On the amazing Good Times! episode of The Zilch Podcast, John Hughes referenced that there might be a track from Jeff Barry and Joey Levine being considered. Which one could that be?:

Gotta Give It Time
    Details from Andrew Sandoval’s book (1/21/67):
    After a loose rehearsal and jam session, the studio musicians next settle in to recording Joey Levine’s promising ‘Gotta Give It Time’, not coincidentally co-written with today’s session producer, Jeff Barry. Only four takes are made of this garage-styled rock number, the final one being marked as the master. Had The Monkees ever completed the recording, it could have been another (I’m Not Your Steppin’ Stone).

Eve Of My Sorrow
    Details from Andrew Sandoval’s book (1/26/67):
    Barry returns to the control room for his composition ‘Eve Of My Sorry’ a slow ballad he has co-written with Joey Levine and Leiber & Stoller. The song is completed in seven takes, with lucky take 7 taking the prize for master.

My guess is that it's: Gotta Give It Time, which sounds very interesting! Am I missing any other Jeff Barry/Joey Levine songs?

BobT, dangiedr and D-rock like this.
  16. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Below is a version of Levine/Barry's "Gotta Give It Time" by Freddy & the Four-Gone Conclusions. Their rendition from 2001 sounds authentic to the era that it was written (and sounds very close to the sound that Jeff Barry was producing during that session), but it also sounds badly dated, IMO, which is something that The Monkees, for the most part, did a good job of avoiding during their heyday--I can see why they didn't add vocals at the time as it sounds like a thousand other generic songs from the era written by a thousand 3rd rate songwriters. Given the stuff that we've heard in the Deluxe Edition box sets, and the limited number of tracks on the upcoming album, surely there's a better choice :magoo:

dangiedr, cwitt1980 and elvissinatra like this.
  17. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

Freddy and the Four Gone Conclusions are awesome. That album is so much fun. Monkees fans (and anybody who loves 60s garage pop) would love it. Also check out Freddy's project Fortune & Maltese, which has more of a Paul Revere and the Raiders vibe.

jfmlaugh and cwitt1980 like this.
  18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

If Micky sings a Michael song it had better be at least ten times better than that "you slimy toads" song from JUSTUS

19. MagneticNorthpaw

I agree wholeheartedly. If Pisces is the guiding star, using material from the unfinished NYC sessions in January 1967 seems antithetical. They are already paying lip service to Neil Diamond so a "shout out" to Jeff Barry is unnecessary in my book.

Given that they have planned for upwards of 15 songs, I have to believe that they are taking a long view to either create an expanded edition of the album or another release perhaps to coincide with the 1967 anniversary next year. Which would be fitting, since that was the Monkees' annus mirabilis.

George C., Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

My guess is that Peter will sing "I Know What I Know". I can hear him doing that. And Micky can sing "Only Understanding Love". Mike can sing "Love is the place to be". That'd make me happy. Although I'd prefer Nez to write NEW tunes specifically for this project along the lines of "Papa Genes Blues" and "You Just May Be The One"... But this isn't the 60s anymore :-/

Midwest Rocker likes this.
  21. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I've never heard that song before-- but maybe I'm in the minority-- I think I'd kind of like to hear Micky do that one.

Is the cut "Where has it all gone" from the HQ sessions salvageable?

D-rock likes this.
  22. MagneticNorthpaw

They have two different takes for a framework, but they are probably too "warts and all" for the intent of this project. Plus, no lyrics have ever surfaced in any other phase of Nez's career. I think it's highly unlikely that he even has them anymore (a la "Don't Cry Now" from Wichita Train Whistle).

"She's So Far Out, She's In" has also probably dated itself well into the "Novelty Zone." (Though I'm hoping that the footage from the train to Capistrano has sound....fingers crossed.)

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

That's the one I really wanna hear!!!!
    But wonder if Nez even recalls the lyrics?

Another "epic" one to hear would be "Lynn Harper"! That one sounds super funky and it had Sam & The Good Timers? (Hmmm) Again, Nez prob forgot the lyrics.

Grand_Ennui and elvissinatra like this.
  24. They should get those fellas to back them on this tour.

super sally, elvissinatra and D-rock like this.
  25. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

D-rock likes this.