Better Call Saul - Season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Good points about the last episode. Though I still dont see the last episode as needind to be a *whole* show. But yep good points.

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm really surprised about the comments about the season finale last year. Mel Rodriguez as Marco and his interaction with Odenkirk is one of my favorite parts of last season. Like I said, when I rewatched I was really surprised that whole story line took place in one episode (not counting the cold open earlier in the season).

Hot Ptah and Lonson like this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I also think there were a lot of smaller things accomplished in the finale that needed to happen before Jimmy could make the decision he did - and also to let viewers in on some things too. We knew about "Slippin' Jimmy" but we didn't ever really get to see him in action, at least not in detail. Also to see Jimmy and Chuck through someone else's eyes:

Marco: "He [Chuck] doesn't even like you"

also, Marco saying (can't remember the quote exactly) "If you're a lawyer and you aren't raking in the big bucks, you aren't doing it right" <--- that was important to be said

4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Chuck is an "a-hole". And at this point a bigger con-man than his brother.

Hot Ptah and mpayan like this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, Im kind of with Jimmy on this. I think Chuck is an a-hole but he also is mentally ill. I think it weighs in on his actions. Not to defend Chuck, but he did try and protect his brother. In his way he was trying to spare Jimmys feelings. But Jimmy wouldnt stop. Then Chuck blew his top and said some things he probably regrets. Either way, that last scene with his brother was cold as a frozen ax.

Hot Ptah and Vidiot like this.
  6. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

It also showed the viewer (through Marco) how Jimmy might have ended up had he stayed in Cicero.

Also, I loved the exchange, " You aren't Kevin Costner!" "I was last night!".

progrocker, artfromtex and Hot Ptah like this.
  7. Gems-A-Bems

No, Kim and Howard were trying to spare Jimmy's feelings. What was Chuck trying to protect Jimmy from? Finding out he had been keeping Jimmy from working as an attorney at the firm all along?

I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck's "illness" arose from Jimmy's entry into his lawyerly world.

JimW and Hot Ptah like this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

If you ain't "making bank" I think it was.

You make a good point - I just thought of it as a funny line but it does have some real significance here.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont know, I guess dealing with a disfunctional family all my life leaves me somewhat biased. But if Chuck was completely cold hearted wouldnt he have said all that he said from the beginning? If it wasnt for Chuck, Jimmy would have been in prison, labeled a perv and never been inspired to be a lawyer. Yes, Chuck earns the "Better-Call-Saul-Butthole" award for now. First place, no doubt. But its a pretty complicated relationship if you think about it.

Why did Jimmy even become a lawyer? To impress his brother. He kind of worships Chuck. Its a classic case of the big brother will never think you are good enough. And then Chuck, on the other hand, is portrayed as this genius level attorney. Which he is. I think his illness is more from the near savant level of case memory he has. Think his mind just blew a gasket.

I think they are both brilliant in their own way. Unfortunately the Slippin Jimmy con man left a life long burnt impression on Chucks mind. We dont know the countless times Chuck got Jimmy out of trouble. That no doubt plays into a loadfull of resentment with Chuck.

And, as we know from BB...well...Jimmy's past apparently has a great negative effect. Some just cant get past their fate sealed by former actions; no matter how hard they struggle.

EVOLVIST, Hot Ptah and Lonson like this.
  10. Gems-A-Bems

Funny how when Chuck is working on a case he conveniently "forgets" his illness...until Jimmy shows up.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Maybe. But I think its more of he is so deep into the case that his psychosis is momentarily at bay. I dont think Chuck is faking his illness. Now why it manifested, that is debatable.

Jimmy kind of knew what it would take to "snap" his brother out of the psychotic behavior. Thats why he left the boxes of paperwork he rolled in. Sure, his office was too small; but I think Jimmy also knew that it would be good therapy for his brother.

Again, Im not defending Chuck. He is a stomach churner. But, I think it does have more to it than he is just a jerk.

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Who knew this series would be this good to even have debates about it.

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is there gonna be a 're-run' of last season before the new one starts??

14. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

It's on Netflix

15. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I also loved Jimmy's later comment, "If you build it, I will come."

16. Gems-A-Bems

Agreed. Jimmy was sincerely interested in helping his brother. And had been helping him - to Jimmy's own detriment. And how is Jimmy repaid? He gets to be the victim of a years-long con-job of Chuck's. That scene in the conference room, where it's just Jimmy, Chuck, and Howard? Who was the con-man there? The later screed he delivers to Jimmy after getting called on his con is largely projection (in my opinion).

Hot Ptah likes this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It's brilliant writing. I got very emotional trying to explain how disturbing the betrayal was to my fiancee after I had watched this the second time on Blu-ray. As the oldest brother of two brothers I tried to imagine doing this to either of my brothers, or to have had a betrayal of this sort done to me by one of my brothers. I can imagine the pain. Great TV.

Hot Ptah and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Boy, you guys really dont like Chuck do you? :D

However one interprets the Chuck/Jimmy saga it most definitely is the catalyst that will turn Jimmy to Saul. That we can agree on.

PS: I dont like Chuck either. Just trying to stay objective.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  19. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

The bingo scene was one of my favorite moments on TV in 2015.

Hot Ptah and LivingForever like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't really dislike him per se. He's a fascinating character, so well but ambivalently portrayed. The betrayal is a harmful and painful one though. . . that's the sort of thing most people rarely forgive unless it's family--and some will never forgive no matter who it is. A great plot point to show motivation for Jimmy's turning his back on the respectable route.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  21. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

The feelings that a lot of viewers have toward Chuck shows that Michael McKean gives an incredible performance. Still, my vote for best performance on the show is Jonathan Banks as Mike.

progrocker, Hot Ptah and Lonson like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Mikes confession to his daughter inlaw is something else. Im supposing thats the performance youre refering to?

23. Gems-A-Bems

It was really only one of the catalysts. The ring that carries the spirit of Marco is just as big a catalyst, if not bigger. Without the ring there is no "Saul".

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"One ring. One ring to rule the Saul."...?

:D

JimW and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Probably my favorite Mike dialogue. And kind of a summation of both BB and BCS...

Mark E. Moon. and Hot Ptah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.