Percentage of used records in your collection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ek1psu

ek1psu Forum Resident

Until 10 years ago it was close to 0%. Now it is probably 80%.

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

50-60% used.

3. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

70% used. Just started getting into vinyl less then a year ago. Discogs is like a crack house to me!!! I'll get my truck fixed soon, just need to score some more AC/DC...for $4.00!!!

4. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

90 % used = less likely to catch "THE NEW VINYL BLUES" mate!

Donniej and Matt Starr like this.
  5. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I always bought a lot 2ndhand due to finances, but also to get stuff that didn't appear in the shops. I also bought lots of new lp's.

In the last few years I've added 20-25% of my 12" collection through garage sales and op shops - for a dollar or two I can afford to get disks for curiosity value.

100% of my 78rpm collection is 2ndhand - the KittyDaisyLewis and RecordDay 78 releases aren't easily/cheaply available where I am.

6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I voted 90 per cent but closet to 98 per cent. No need to pay $30+ per disc when there are so many used discs in excellent shape out there-especially classical/ opera.

7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That is an understatement. I hope the hipsters tire of it soon so we can go back to normal used pricing.

jupiterboy and Clonesteak like this.
  8. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

40 years ago it was 0%. Didn't we all go out out and buy the latest release. I don't even remember used records. Now I'm in there with the majority at 90%. Don't want to spend $25 a record on building up my collection again and not sure if I can buy some of the 70s stuff new anyway.

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Approximately 50/50

10. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Pretty much my experience that long ago, but only recently buying more used records so the overall percentage of used is low, but steadily growing.

Ask me again in 5 years when the LP craze is over and prices become more reasonable as people dump their vinyl again. :p

Jasonb and Clonesteak like this.
  11. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Sounds like a winner. :D

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'd say about 80% of my albums were purchased used. It's more like 98% on the 45s.

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I guessed 60%. I'm not really sure, though. There was a time when new was cheap and used was cheap and I was just buying like crazy. Good times, those.

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I chose 70% but it is probably lower because I've been collecting for decades. I buy mostly used these days with some new stuff. It's i teresting that the OP is swearing off used lps and I am more likely to swear off new vinyl. I have had more trouble with new vinyl in the last ten years than practically all my years of collecting. I prefer evaluating a record n person instead of taking whatever you get behind door number one.

15. Clarets

Clarets Forum Resident

80% assuming that gifts of used records count as "purchased" used LPs.
    If I were to remove the gifts it reduces to 60%.
    Started spinning vinyl again 8 years ago with what remained of my water damaged (flood) 100% new collection. Then 2 close friends learned I was spinning and gave me their collections. One great jazz from the 60's (weed damaged ) the other 70's Rock. Since then I've been buying mostly new - wish they were all as good as the Beatles Mono Box.

16. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This Member Limits Who May View Their percentage of used records

Seriously, I have no idea. More often than not, I can't recall whether a record I put on was bought with or without shrink-wrap on it. I don't save receipts, obis, store bags etc.

One thing I do know is that "Kevin" was the original owner of my US mono Fresh Cream. Thanks, Kevin, wherever you are.

Gavinyl and The Pinhead like this.
  17. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The vast majority of my records are pre-used from eBay, Discogs, CDandLP, Musicstack and charity shops.

With various degrees of scrubbing by the record cleaning machine most are pretty good.

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

I'm not. Just curious about percentages. I have a lot of used records that are way better than their new counterparts. I prefer new if the pressing is good but not swearing off anything really; sorry if it sounded like that.

19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I usually go with new as a first choice, after a quick check around to see if I can get it cheaper as used.

Same thing with books, come to think of it.

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Around 0% lately for guarantee of the digital download inclusion.

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I should have mentioned that a lot of my records are from the 50s and 60s - for the most part I avoid modern reissues like the plague, and seek out first pressings - stereo if at all possible for LPs and EPs.

22. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Have to say 75 -80% of my library which numbers about 3000.

23. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Vinyl essentially all purchased new between 1969 to 1985. So maybe 2% used.
    Really don't bother with vinyl these days because of the general poor quality of pressings and I am not prepared to pay the high price for near mint original pressings.
    So I am closer to 0 than 10%.

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Maybe it's because I'm not buying some of the classic albums that are going for high dollar these days but I find new vinyl more expensive and more of a risk than old vinyl. Maybe it's my market and I should just STFU. :)

25. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

When I was young and prices of new records where $3-$5 bucks there was no one selling used records and everyone needed to buy the new releases. That was the first 20 years, now the last 20 years I want the "old" stuff so used is the only game in town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.