Lissie "Back to Forever" (for fans of Stevie Nicks / Fleetwood Mac) (Oct. 14th, 2013)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PanaPlasma, Oct 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident Thread Starter

The follow-up for the succesful "Catching a Tiger" is already on Spotify since friday!

[​IMG]

Paste Magazine review by Elias Leight:
    In 2013, musical templates from the ‘70s and ‘80s are in. Artists like Solange, Mayer Hawthorne, Sky Ferreira, Daft Punk and Haim have all delved into this period and earned acclaim for doing so. The singer Lissie was ahead of the curve: she debuted in 2010 with Catching A Tiger, a release full of guitar-driven tunes that would have fit on the radio 30 or more years ago. So Lissie’s latest full-length, Back To Forever, has timing on its side.

It also smartly reworks recognizable sounds, especially in its first half. Back To Forever opens with a solid block of bass and jangling guitars, then scales up into an massive chorus and heavy beat. “The heart breaks, way before the habit,” sings Lissie, sounding similar to a Dr. Luke production that might appear on the radio. The next song, “Further Away,” stakes a strong claim to ‘80s production wizardry: flat drums, gentle synthesizers, pain smoothed down to a gleaming bullet. Lissie channels Stevie Nicks lyrically—“Does anyone love anymore?”—and sonically, when she moves into full-throated singing. With puffs of backing vocals and a shiny bursting guitar solo, all escaping emotions are artfully contained.

[​IMG]

Lissie sounds most comfortable in this mode, chugging meticulously forward, or crunching, as she does in “Cold Fish.” When she delves into politics, with the song “Mountaintop Removal"—about blasting apart mountains to get at coal—she sings “mountaintop removal shames our name.” It’s the right sentiment, but politics is about selling an idea, and not even Aretha Franklin could make the phrase “mountaintop removal” conform to the structures of a pop song.

But that’s not to imply that Lissie can’t make big, fiery statements that might earn her some votes. She delivers a wallop in “Shameless,” a song driven by Tom Petty guitar chords and big drums. It’s simultaneously swaggering and stumbling, as Lissie is both meaner (“I gotta get far away from you”) and less sure of what anything means (she keeps asking, “so what?”). “I don’t want to be famous, if I have to be shameless,” she yells. “I don’t know what this game is/ cause I’m not even playing it.” We’re all stuck in the game. But as Lissie fights to assert her own self-confidence, it has a bracing effect on everyone in earshot.

[​IMG]

Autographed Deluxe Edition CD and Vinyl still available - Hurry up: Autographed albums

[​IMG]

2. PanaPlasma

"Sleepwalking" seems to be the new single.

3. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Thanks! I'm going to check this out. A couple of her singles deserve Adele-level of attention in my opinion. I just love that raspy voice that she got on certain notes.

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

She was on BBC Breakfast this morning and played and sang a bit while sitting on the sofa. Very powerful voice but they added reverb to her mike when she sang for some reason.

5. PanaPlasma

Anyone else enjoying this album? When will we get a 24bit Studio Master of this album?

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Saw her do a solo show last night here in a small room that held maybe 75 people, tops. Still have never seen her with a band, but didn't really realize how amazing her voice was until it was stripped away to just her and a guitar.

Also got to hang out for a bit...very sweet girl :)

[​IMG]

thxphotog likes this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Also a quick pic from the show:

[​IMG]

8. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Just saw her on Jools Holland on Palladia. Not sure when it originally aired but I'm guessing less than a year ago. She performed 'Sleepwalkin' and was terrific. I'd never heard of her. VERY much an early Stevie Nicks vibe vocally but she plays a Tele, which immediately makes her better. ;) Gonna have to pay attention to her.

LarsO likes this.
  9. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Check out her previous album "Catching a tiger". You might have heard "When I'm alone". It should have been a worldwide hit!

PanaPlasma likes this.
  10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

PanaPlasma likes this.
  11. pghmusiclover

12. PanaPlasma

24bit download from qobuz for me + signed cd/lp.

13. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Love her voice, which really needs to be heard live to be fully appreciated. She's a star, eventually she will make it...if she wants it...There was tremendous pressure to become a pop princess in the past, but hopefully she can find her own organic way to a larger audience.

14. pghmusiclover

15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Stevie Nicks? Lissie blows her away in my opinion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.