Buying off Amazon

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by goodiesguy, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me Thread Starter

I have a Debit card now, So I can order things online, but how does one go about getting stuff of Amazon, and how do I know how much something's gonna be in NZ Dollars, including things like currency conversion etc....

:)

2. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

3. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

It would take millons to buy off Amazon.

4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

A credit card is a much safer way to shop online. If your debit card info gets stolen, the money comes right out of your bank account.

5. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I'd recommend setting up a Paypal account and using that for on-line purchases.

efraley and ARK like this.
  6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

When I buy off the US site, amazon will convert the price and I can pay in US dollars or Sterling.

7. Amazon doesn't accept PayPal.

black sheriff and Laibach like this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Start the order on Amazon and take it all the way to the last step. It should give you the option to see the final total in NZ Dollars. Some credit cards do charge a "foreign transaction fee" that is above and beyond what Amazon charges.

9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Spend! Spend! Spend!

[​IMG]

Mr. H, Ghostworld and goodiesguy like this.
  10. At the final check out all Amazon branches give you the choice of completing your purchase in local currency, or in our case, NZ dollars. I've always defaulted to NZ dollars for years so not sure how much difference, if any there would be going the other way.

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

I posted this on the Sinatra thread but thought it should go in an amazon thread also. I tried to purchase a 4 CD set "A Voice on Air" by Frank Sinatra:

Well, I tried twice to buy this set from Amazon as it was available at a good price. Had to return both for the same reasons:
    - The CD covers were both quite dented and worn on the corners. Looked like it had been kicked around the street a few times. Or repackaged after heavy use.
    - The inner CD cover looked used, with circular wear marks etc.
    - On both sets, 3 of the 4 CDs had glue on them from the case.

Both sets were shipped by a company from Nevada in fulfillment for Amazon. As opposed to ordering from a separate seller on the Amazon site - I ordered this FROM Amazon (just want to make that clear)

Easy to get a refund but I am done ordering music from Amazon. This is not my first issue.

12. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I haven't had occasion to use it, but believe that Amazon has an equivalent service named Amazon Payments.

13. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I have had a few issues buying directly from Amazon too. I usually try to buy my music and movies from some of the third party sellers that I've used and had much better luck with.

14. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Probably best off trying to calculate currency conversion yourself. It won't be an exact science because exchange rates fluctuate from the day you order and the time the sale goes through if you make any pre-orders. As a result, you may not see the converted value on pre-orders. You are most likely going to have to pay an exchange fee because most financial institutions also pay an exchange fee and pass it on with a mark up for the inconvenience.

You did not indicate what country you are making the transaction with, but I know if you are a U.S. buyer, the Value Added Tax built into the price on the listing is reduced for purchases from the U.K. sent to U.S. addresses.

15. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Another vote for the conversion site XE Currency Converter - Live Rates »

I then use a credit card that does not charge ANY transaction fees. Gotta search their FAC sheets. Sometimes, your personal bank is the first place to check. I use a Capital One card as it has never failed and am hesitant to change.

You need to then register this card with Amazon and it will automatic be on any of their webs as a choice in the last payment window. I pay in the currency of the country I am buying from ie: Amazon fr,de,uk etc. When paid, Cap One informs me of a transaction in.....currency has been received. I check and it is usually an on the money conversion, within allowable time constrains as rates vary by the second. VAT usually disappears in the last window based on your mailing address and price drops a few.

Dave likes this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Lots of discussion about this in that Sinatra thread », but the problem here may have been that Amazon listed a third-party fulfillment seller on the main product page. I'm not sure why they do this, but the item was also available directly from Amazon.com for a couple bucks more. I suspect the third-party stock was damaged or stored improperly, even though "fulfilled by Amazon."

17. You've got it upside down. The shipment was not sent by the third-party seller in fulfillment for Amazon, but by Amazon in fulfillment for the third-party seller. That's what "fulfilled by Amazon" means: About Fulfilled by Amazon

Isn't that the usual for Amazon? I've often seen third-party sellers (fulfilled by Amazon or not) on the main page, esp. when Amazon itself has no stock.

Bob F likes this.
  18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I too have seen third-party sellers listed on the main page when Amazon is out of stock. But, in this particular case, Amazon DOES show the item in stock. I suspect that they highlight a fulfillment seller if its price is lower than their own. Very confusing, if not outright deceptive, for those who don't understand what "Fulfilled by Amazon" means.

19. I don't think it's deceptive, as they explain what it means on the website. If a buyer is unsure abouzt the meaning, it's not too much to expext IMO that he informs himself in the help section.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Perhaps, but what is not made clear is that the item is also available directly from Amazon.com. Or that the quality of the lower-priced product may be different. After several reports, it sounds like Amazon is helping this seller unload a batch of poorly stored/handled items.

teag likes this.
  21. When you go to the "Other Sellers on Amazon" for this item, you see clearly in the list of sellers that Amazon itself has stock and it can be bought from them.

Yes, they could make it even clearer on the item's main page, but everyone who has used Amazon knows his way around an item's pages. That is no excuse, of course, for selling a defective item advertised as new. I wonder why this particular seller still has a 100% rating, though.

If it's a storing or shipping problem, then Amazon usually takes full responsibility for that, because they handle these things for the seller.

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Actually, you are incorrect. I can see how the words could make you think that. However, both shipping containers had the return address printed as "Lovely Song" in Nevada. So that is where the shipment came directly from.

To me, it being Amazon's store and Amazon who I pay, it is Amazon's responsibility no matter who Amazon ALLOWS to ship the product under their store name. Of course, taking responsibility these days is a lost art....

23. Actually, you are still incorrect. [Not that it really matters in the end.]

"Fulfilled by Amazon" means exactly what I wrote (please read Amazon's own description). The return address has nothing to do with where the item shipped from (probably an Amazon Fulfillment Center). But it shows that the seller is a third party, not Amazon.

So again: Amazon was not the seller! They just handled the sale, shipment and return process on behalf of the seller.

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thank you. Interesting. If you are correct, it would be a violation of US postal rules to have a return address not be accurate. However, that would not surprise me with Amazon.

Anyway, this anal subject about shipping details is not the point. It's the inferior product sold on Amazon's website that is the point.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The return address they give for returns is accurate. I know this because I've used it to return things more than once. :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    RolandG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.