Decware's news & developments

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beowulf, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have been considering the Beeswax upgrade too. I just don't want to be without the ZP3 for the time it would take! I have Jupiter beeswax caps in my Torii Mk III amps and two of the CSP2+ preamps I have. It will be an upgrade. . . but I'm in no hurry as I love all the sound I get from the ZP3. And you are right, very responsive to tube-rolling.

2. They are inline capacitors:

3. There is a decent amount of info in the user manual posted on the Decware site.

4. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Ok
    Ok,to clarify this is what I asked him:why is the silver version recommened over the gold for higher end systems? Why does the silver cost $40 more tban the gold? And since an interconnect is needed before AND after the pils why can't he just integrate them INTO the interconnect to keep the overall length and total cost reasonable?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Billy Budapest and bruce2 like this.
  5. attym

attym Forum Resident

I've contemplated the cap upgrade myself. It's only two large caps

6. Gotcha. Decware makes some really good, under-the-radar interconnects, so it is a little perplexing.

7. Lonson

8. Lonson

Steve replied on the thread with several good reasons that should ease a little perplex ion:

Hi Tom,

We didn't design the device with a captive interconnect because cables eventually fail and because few audiophiles can agree on which cable is best.

We didn't make one end male as some have suggested because the weight and leverage it would have on the female jack of your amp would break one or the other eventually.

The difference between the Gold and Silver is an internal film and foil bypass cap to speed things up for use with audiophile quality recordings not excluding LP's and Reel to Reel. The Gold is UN-bypassed which slows it down. The fact that the jacks themselves are Gold vs. Silver is irrelevant except to distinguish between the two.

Steve [​IMG]

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1449504592/25#25

There's more info on that thread including info about an upcoming "loan and forward" program for forum members to sign up for to audition these. (I'm not planning to).

Billy Budapest likes this.
  9. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

Anyone heard the new UFO output transformers? I'm fairly close to ordering a SE84UFO for my Klipsch La Scala system. A friend brought round an earlier though still pretty recent (black typewriter finish) SE84 so I know it's a decent match, I really liked it. I'm just curious as to how different the current model sounds. Also curious regarding the $100 cap upgrade (from 'beeswax' to 'copper in beeswax'). I'll probably go for the stepped attenuator.

10. Lonson

I think you'll find the stepped attenuator and beeswax caps very good improvements from a stock amp; I have had these done to two amps and a preamp and will do this on any new Decware amp or preamp I might buy.

I haven't heard a UFO transformer (none yet available for the Torii amp I'm using. . . probably will springs for that hen and if one comes available) but reports on the Decware forum have been very positive, with no negative reports.

11. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Holy smokes! Its styling is so drastically different from all Decware's other gear. I wonder if this is the future look for all their amps? I don't know if I like it. It's probably better for sales because it will integrate with other pieces in people's systems better, but I like the quasi-steam punk aesthetic of their current gear. I bet it sounds amazing.

12. Lonson

I think it's nice looking but like you prefer the look I/we have. I really think this is THE Decware preamp to own if you have the ZMA with balanced inputs and other gear with balanced outputs. I have the latter but not the former and my CSP2+ preamps work fantastically and are well "seasoned" (which takes a while with this gear).

In my main system the Decware amp, preamp, and phono preamp all have the lovely walnut bases and this would not only really match . . . but it would give me a big "rack space issue." So I'm glad I'm broke and not tempted to pre-order! ;)

rischa likes this.
  13. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

14. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

I wonder how a Decware preamp would compare to my current Dared MC-7P with upgraded Auricaps?

[​IMG]

15. Lonson

From Steve:

I have some preliminary pricing on the ZTPRE balanced preamp.

The standard version will start at $1995.00 in either red or black and with either silver or black knobs.
    On the other end and with everything you can possibly do to it, it will come in at $4035.00

Steve [​IMG]

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1427302380/105

16. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

That's actually a really good price. I asume the standard version's volume knobs are stepped for volume matching.

17. Lonson

My guess is that the standard version is without stepped attenuation as he always has that as an option (and I'm not sure he really pushes that, he seems to prefer the standard volume device).

18. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Maybe not such a good bargain then. I'd think stepped attenuators would be a must for balancing channels. I'd never be confident I had each side dialled in accurately.

Out of curiosity, why do you think steve prefers the smooth attenuator? He told me the stepped offers an improvement in sound over the smooth knob, and even upgraded my CSP2+ with the stepped for free when my standard volume knob failed.

19. Lonson

Just some comments he has made on the forum . . . he has downplayed sonic benefit there in some posts. Maybe he was trying to not push a price point past a prospective buyer's level, I don't know. He has often enough said both can lead to really great sound.

I would be happy to balance by ear if I had dual balance controls, have done that in the past. Sometimes room behavior and placement make this an easy way and in theory the perfect position on the volume control could be between steps.

20. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Good point--at the very least I'd like a pointer on the knob and some marks on the face plate so I'd know I was in the ballpark. Guess I could always rough that in with a pencil.

21. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Yeah-I read the post on the Decware forum.Well,first he says the interconnects should be the same in front and back of the Pils to eliminate variables or something to that effect so-that would require me to purchase 2 half meter interconnects at the very least + the cost of the Pils (silver version since I have a high end system= $229+$40).All on faith since there is no professional reviews at the moment only a few words from someone who tried them on a computer system.I'll have to wait for more reviews and they need to be great ones on high end systems before I commit to purchasing them.To tell you the truth I'd rather put the money towards an MQA DAC (when and if that takes off this year)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  22. tomd

tomd Senior Member

That's one gorgeous preamp!

23. Lonson

I don't blame you, I'm in the same boat, the cost for additional interconnects would be prohibitive and I'm not at all feeling these are necessary in my system. I think the best benefit would be in a budget system. . . but they're pricey for a budget system. They're not going to leap off the Decware shelves.

24. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I can't say enough great things though about Decware's ZP3 tube phono stage which I own (with the beeswax cap upgrade).Fantastic sound especially for the price!

25. Lonson

No question, I love my ZP3 (no beeswax caps, at least yet)--it's a fantastic phono preamp. I also use a Decware CSP2+ with stepped attenuator and beeswax caps, a Torii Mk III with stepped attenuator and beeswax caps, and Decware HR-1 speakers. I've been a Decware user since '97. Just not going to buy Pills. :)