Nicest / most personable musician you've met?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I still think the story was better with Daryl Stuermer shaking your head. It's quite the visual!

2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I interviewed Doro twice and she was exceptionally sweet. Like you, the PR guy came in to cut off the interview and she said, 'no, we're having fun, go away!' I only interviewed Dio once, right after my first child was born. He started asking ME questions about the birth. He even invited me to his house in LA if I was ever in town.

SammyJoe, Runicen and Sentient Six like this.
  3. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Yeah I was just kidding around - never met him. He seems like the complete antithesis to this thread topic.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  4. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

But then it would be in the "Nastiest / least personable musician you've ever met" thread instead! :D

5. I had wondered whether you were being totally on the level - but as this thread has shown, sometimes folks can be totally contrary to their surly reputations.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Bruce Dickinson was jovial both times I met him, very down to earth. Blackie Lawless is a smart well spoken guy that catches you off guard with his intelligence.

SammyJoe and Runicen like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Rick Chafin and Rick Dodderidge brought Jim to Kansas City. After literally decades, I've finally convinced RD to let me to make a YouTube channel for him and to upload some of his entire house filled with videos. The next upload will be the video he shot of a Gongfest.

Tero likes this.
  8. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

John Hiatt, R.L. Burnside, Walter Trout. All were friendly and signed memorabilia, met Walter several times, and got to hang out With R.L. Burnside and his family a couple of times.

drift likes this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's more like I had to type fast and get back to work this morning. Now could you please let it go?

10. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

My then girlfriend worked at a Chicago radio station in the mid 70's and got us in to meet the Bee Gees before their show outdoors at Washington Park Racetrack. Maurice couldn't have been nicer but Robin kept to himself then disappeared. Barry was doing an interview so didn't get to talk.
    Met the great Gary Burton after one of his shows at the Dakota in Minn more recently and he was a real gentleman.

11. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Oops...also met Bill Quateman who opened for the Gibb Bros...Chicago guy and very nice too.

12. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

Larry Campbell

drift likes this.
  13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

My wife, Diane, met Chris Isaak when she was working at Perth Airport. She said he was an absolute delight - very personable, unlike local "star" Guy Sebastian, who was confirmed to be consistently toolish by all of her work comrades any time any of them had to have any dealings with him..

SammyJoe and Mylene like this.
  14. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Shawn Mullins was an absolute sweetheart. Roger Taylor of Duran Duran was also nice.

15. It's a tie between Crystal Gayle and Peter Noone. The worst and a real a**hole, Eric Burdon.

16. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Sorry to offend you. Not my intent. :tiphat:

17. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Dave Davies, The Kinks. A total sweetheart.
    Miranda Joyce, The Bodysnatchers/Belle Stars. A delight.

John Bliss likes this.
  18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

None.taken

19. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Great album. Fantastic performance by Stuermer (as well as the entire band).
    Memorable songs, remarkable solos.

I've tried to follow Stuermer's solo career but haven't found anything that excites me like his work with Ponty.

Say It Right likes this.
  20. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

David Sancious
    Marc Bonilla

21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I asked Burdon to sign an Animals LP in the '90's. He didn't say a word and looked annoyed but did provide the most illegible signature I've ever seen. I wouldn't even know what it said had I not seen him sign it.

But thanks for signing it, Eric. I still think you're cool.

22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Worst may be another thread...but until thatone starts I'll nominate Yngwie. Let's just say it was aVERY Spinal Tap interview experience.

John Bliss likes this.
  23. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

3 great, if short meetings. Reba McEntire, back in the early 90's, I worked at a theater and she came in to see a movie, the guy at the ticket stand said "has anyone told you that you look exactly like Reba McEntire", to which she exclaimed "why, I am Reba, honey", it was a fun moment and the guy at the ticket stand was too stunned for words. Chuck D., also in the mid 90's, I was working at Turtles and he happened to be in looking at cassettes while his car was being worked on across the street. I didn't actually know who he was...as I asked if I could help him find anything. My best friend got his autograph as he was heading out the door. Nice guy. Last but not least, I came face to face with Keith Richards early one Sunday morning walking out of an HMV store . That was pretty surreal to me, we both said hello and nodded to each other.

Fullbug and Myke like this.
  24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I met Chuck D at a music conference once. I was working with a woman who had worked closely with him years ago when home video was just getting off the ground. He came over and gave her a bear hug lifting her off the ground. She introduced us and he was very gracious. These guys meet a LOT of people and very few seem genuinely pleased to meet you, he was one of them.

John Bliss, SammyJoe and Bryan Harris like this.
  25. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

J.I. Allison, Joe B. Mauldin and Sonny Curtis of The Crickets (amazingly humble and normal guys, hard to think of them as guys at the beginning of Rock n Roll with one of the greatest of that era; I have a story about meeting them, and it's an amazing one! I'll tell it in a separate post)

Buddy Guy - had a couple drinks with him at his Legends in Chicago. An amazing and great person to talk with about anything.

Pete Best

Micky Dolenz

Gerry Marsden

Tony Sheridan

John Bliss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.