UK (Jobson & Wetton) Ultimate Collector's Edition box coming soon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Endymion, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. zen

zen Senior Member

Thanks.

3. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

"Likewise, the other release of the original era, live album Night After Night, gets the same treatment and is expanded to include an additional 50 minutes of music newly mixed from the multitrack tapes. This new version now represents the full concert and therefore is issued on two-CDs and one blu-ray audio disc."

Now that's what I call good news. Hopefully the sound will really be better than on the original LP and CD issues.

JPagan and Runicen like this.
  4. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Sounds wonderful, except for the $250 pricetag. I'd be happy as a clam to just have the 2 studio albums & some live stuff w/ Holdsy .

sddoug and Evan Guest like this.
  5. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Fantastic news! What a load of vintage live goodies they plan to pack there:
    • Paradise Theater, Boston, Jul 11, 1978 - a supposed upgrade of semi-official "Concert Classics, Vol. 4" (re-released under various monikers)
    • Penn’s Landing, Philadelphia, Aug 8, 1978 - officially unreleased
    • Agora Ballroom, Cleveland, Sep 19, 1978 - officially unreleased
    • Sun Plaza & Seinen Kan, Tokyo, June 1979 - an expanded 2CD edition of "Night After Night"
    • Concertgebouw de Vereeniging, Nijmegen, Dec 17, 1979 - officially unreleased
    $145? Well, it is a steep price for the 6 discs I am interested in, but I love this band...

Steve B likes this.
  6. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Ah, well that is better than the UK pricing, but still kind of steep for my budget. Maybe they will put out a "Not So Ultimate" set. :D

7. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

The pricing on this 16-disc set due in mid April has gotten a whole lot more intriguing in the past twenty-four hours. Monday 2/8, it was $169.99 on Amazon which would give you free shipping, although they do charge tax depending on where you live. On Jobson's site, it's $120 plus $20 shipping and they aren't charging tax.

But wait! Late Monday night, Jobson posted this announcement on his page:

"Globe Music has entered into a new distribution deal with Alliance Entertainment for all future releases, including the Ultimate Collector's Edition UK box set which is now scheduled for an April 12th release date. The recommended retail price set by Alliance and reflected in Amazon's current pricing is $169.99. As it is not legally appropriate for me to undercut the retailers, we must raise the price on the now-public Zealots Lounge to $160.00, plus shipping, starting on Friday February 12th. The Full Members' price for new box-set purchases will also increase to $125."

http://www.zealotslounge.com/ejs-notes

But wait, part 2! Today Amazon just dropped their price by nearly $25 to $145.34. With Amazon, you don't get charged until the item ships, and the price could fall a bit more. So basically, it can be pre-ordered through Jobson's site for $140 total up through Thursday 2/11. I don't know if they charge you now or when it ships in mid-April. Or, Amazon at $145.34 plus tax, they don't charge you until it ships, and the price could go lower.

That's where I placed my order.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Overkill....

audiotom, Smartin62 and Galley like this.
  9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

At that price, surround mixes woulda been nice.

As it is, might be prudent to wait and read a few sound quality critiques.

I've only bought these titles umpteen times.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  10. Should they release a 1978 show with Allan Holdsworth and Bill Bruford as a stand alone release I'd pick it up. But 16 discs is overkill for me, and too expensive.

11. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

i had the remaster from "night after night" of jobson and it was too bright. hopefully i did find the original CD of EG record. So i'm interested by this box, but it depends who will remaster it.

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  12. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

no mention of surround on the blu-ray audio. bummer. he sated he had the multi-track masters.

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I'm happy with the SHM-SACDs.... no need for the set.

Boaz, dcscott and ti-triodes like this.
  14. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Hopefully they release the expanded Night After Night separately at some point. Don't really need the albums again and not interested in the bootlegs. Happy that it's coming out regardless, though.

JPagan and anduandi like this.
  15. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Considering the price point and no surround, i come to the same conclusion as some others: no sale. The Japanese SACD will have to do!

16. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I see that EJ and JW (who I assume had a say in this release) continue the pissing contest and omit "When Will You Realize?" (B-side) from this collection. Amazing.

17. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

It's on the extras CD included in the box according to the superdeluxeedition piece

18. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I didn't see that on the Amazon track listing. My mistake.

19. jay.dee likes this.
  20. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

So it looks that the expanded Night After Night track list is the following:

Splungeworthy likes this.
  21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is an instant buy.

22. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Amazon dropped it a little more to $144.98, so Jobson's site also revised their plans to increase it and now it's $125 plus $20 shipping, so it's essentially the same price although Amazon charges tax in twenty-nine states; Jobson's site doesn't appear to.

23. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

That's another box on my B-list. If the price comes down I will buy it. If not I will never buy it.

24. No longer available for pre-order. I wonder if Amazon realized that $145 was probably too low for a 16 disc set?

25. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

Two things are annoying me about the King Crimson boxes - which of course are similar to what UK is doing.

The first is that though what I want are the blu-rays, we have to pay a huge amount for lots of unwanted CDs.

The second, where I was burnt with the Thrak box, is that even King Crimson cannot be trusted to avoid the loudness wars and though the music on the blu-rays is great the CDs have been significantly compressed, and some of the content is only available on the CDs.

What I really want from UK are some blu-rays with all the content without compression and with natural EQ. (Remixing some in surround would be a great bonus and extra incentive to buy).

But what will be the sound quality on the CDs and the blu-rays? And will the price ever be low enough for me to ignore all the unwanted duplication between CD and blu?

When a fan with money is asking these questions and thus being very cautious about buying you can tell that the music industry is in big trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.