Do you collect '1980's' vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

its my least favorite era....but yes i have about 30 albums.

2. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I have a lot. By the mid to late point of the decade, some of the vinyl just sounds bad, it just does. IMO that's what made people go to cassettes and run to CD's.

I still don't know why some of the work sounds bad, perhaps a lot of all digital albums and the declining quality of some vinyl made for a toxic mix. I can only speak from personal experiemce, by about 1986 or so, a lot of the 45's and new releases on record---sounded bad.

Grant likes this.
  3. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I think vinyl is a good option for this decade.
    Many albums at this time were very bright and hard sounding, sometimes slathered in digital reverb.
    I find that vinyl can take the edge off this a little.
    Recent examples of this I've picked up cheap would be Steve Winwood, Tears for Fears, Men at Work and ZZ's Eliminator.

dlokazip likes this.
  4. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

It depends on the year. Early 80s is still good on vinyl, but mid- to late-80s, as CD started to take hold, you find more albums getting longer and longer. As a result, lots of late-80s vinyl sounds bad with trying to cram so much time onto a single LP. For those, I'd rather have the early CDs. And while early 80s LPs can be had cheap, stuff from about 1989 on can get very expensive now, just like all those 90s album that cost a fortune.

5. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I collect albums from artists, styles and eras I'd like, so I do indeed have a fair amount from the '80s (though certainly the '70s is more represented in my collection).

I just don't have a lot of '80s pop. :) The Police, Men at Work and Thomas Dolby are notable exceptions.

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Absolutely, some of my best sounding vinyl records come from this era - off the top of my head:

The Police: Ghost In The Machine and Synchronicity
    Sting: Dream Of The Blue Turtles and Nothing Like The Sun
    Robert Plant: Shaken N Stirred
    Joe Jackson: Body And Soul, Night And Day and Big World

dlokazip and Grant like this.
  7. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I have a small collection of about 20 lps from that decade. In a very general sense, I've found that decade relatively easy to collect LPs in good condition at a reasonable price relative to other decades.

8. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I bought many LPs and 45s in the 80s and still have most of them. I was more of a 45 collector back then, trying to get favorite singles with picture sleeves. Some albums, I tried to get all the singles
    from an album, with picture sleeves. The ones that come to mind for me were all the singles with picture sleeves for: Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna (4) , Billy Joel - An Innocent Man (6). I have a few others, those were just from memory. Tower Records was my favorite store back then.

Grant likes this.
  9. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

I've really been digging my '80s vinyl. The '80s was when the medium really reached its peak in terms of consistent quality...just the perfect time for the brilliant minds at the majors to kill it off of course. Just spun an later 80s pressing of The Nightfly by Donald Fagen. This was probably a Super Saver title that I bought used for less than five bucks, and it still sounds sublime. Quiet as the still of the night and as full bodied as a great red wine.

10. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I have a ton of vinyl from the 1980s -- especially the early 1980s, as I was buying it before I got my first CD player in 1984.

The majority of what I currently play and still collect from the 1980s is in the realm of 12" singles, mainly due to the fact that many, many, many of those have never seen any sort of release on CD. Most albums that I listen to are readily available on CD (my format of choice), but I don't pass up the opportunity to add something to my collection just because it's not available on CD.

JasonA likes this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

No, I don't collect them.

I do buy them, however.

12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I have lots of stuff from the 1980s because I started collecting during that decade. There is lots of good music to be had and there's still lots of used vinyl at reasonable prices out there from that era.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  13. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

To answer the question; no - I don't collect any vinyl.

14. Well well coming out of the seventy's with the heavy pro rock stuff were the stoner's got their heads out of the clouds! I sure like the eighty's it was all about having fun again, at least for me. I just wonder how Led Zeppelin's would have sounded if they started out in the early eighty's?
    Like any time between sixty's and up to know there is a bunch of crap, but it might me that don't care about what is going on now? lol

Nesta

15. John54

John54 Senior Member

I don't "collect" per se but I bought quite a bit of vinyl in the '80s, especially in the last one-third of the decade when I used reviews in Melody Maker and the NME as a guide (many of them were duds, a few were gems, like Mr. Hurst by Last Party).

I didn't start buying CDs until I bought a CD player in 1988 and at first I concentrated on the '60s and '70s, i.e. Genesis, Moody Blues, etc.

Around 1990-91 I started buying CDs for which I had only recently bought the vinyl, for example Banking, Violence and the Inner Life Today by McCarthy and Cake by the Trash Can Sinatras.

thematinggame likes this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"The Seeds Of Love" by Tears For Fears.

Monddialle likes this.
  17. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Not nearly as much as from the 70s, but yes (and as someone said, mainly the early 80s).

I have:
    Bruford - Gradually Going Tornado
    Jean Luc Ponty - Civilized Evil
    Miles Davis - The Man with the Horn
    Al Di Meola - Electric Rendezvous
    John McLaughlin - Music Spoken Here
    Brand X - Is There Anything About?
    Alan Holdsworth - Road Games
    Jean Luc Ponty - Open Mind
    Frank Zappa - Jazz from Hell
    Steve Hackett - Defector
    Yes - Drama
    Yes - Yesshows
    King Crimson - Discipline
    King Crimson - Beat
    King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
    Robert Fripp - God Save the Queen
    Peter Gabriel III
    Kate Bush - Never for Ever
    Adrian Belew - Lone Rhino
    Kate Bush - The Dreaming
    Queen - The Game
    KISS - Music from the Elder
    Queen - Hot Space
    KISS - Creatures of the Night
    KISS - Lick it Up
    Brian May - Star Fleet Project
    Queen - The Works
    Queen - A Kind of Magic
    Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    Queen - The Miracle
    Black Flag - Family Man
    Black Flag - The Process of Weeding Out
    Black Flag - In My Head
    Watchtower - Energetic Disassembly
    Slayer - Reign in Blood
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
    Metallica - And Justice for All
    Watchtower - Control and Resistance

dlokazip likes this.
  18. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

I don't 'collect' '80s albums the way I do albums from the '60s and early '70s: in the main I bought them in that decade. It was a glorious time for new music from all genres, and I have very few issues regarding quality either.

Yes, a lot of 80s music sounds like it has the same Yamaha DX7 pre-sets all over it, and some of it sounds totally over-produced, but to discount a decade that has all the 4AD output, Japan, Talking Heads, The Cure, Pixies, King Crimson, Kate Bush, Pat Metheny, Al diMeola, and thousands more seems a bit silly...

19. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

When alternative was still just that, of course.

20. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

No mention of the following...

The Chameleons
    The Sound
    Teardrop Explodes
    Durutti Column
    The Associates
    Magazine

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yes, I have many from that time. Some of my favorites are: