Def Leppard HYSTERIA - anyone heard first Japanese pressing on vinyl ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monddialle, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Trying to find the best-sounding vinyl version, read plenty of threads on outstanding qualities of 32PD cd original///
    Maybe someone listened to 25PP227 Nippon Phonogrnam original pressing?
    thanks for your replies.

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

If there are any issues it would be due to it's sheer length, should of been on two lp's...

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  3. Monddialle

fully agree. there should have been a double instead of single.
    last year I was surprised how Jap cutting engineers deal with extra length (got a very nice sounding copy of 54-min Metallica Master of Puppets) on a single LP and keep hope Hysteria sounds at least a bit better than EU and US pressing

c-eling likes this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I would hunt down as many of the UK 12" singles as possible, I have a few and they sound fantastic compared to the LP.

Simon A and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Nice! Hopefully someone who has one can offer some insight

6. Monddialle

Heh!)) I got all of them except Love Bites (will find some day although not liking the song itself).
    Funny thing for me it that 7 singles cover the whole side A plus title track while I love side B ten times more!)

7. Monddialle

This LP is one of the most unpopular ones so I think the chance is very low. Everyone prefers to get the best-performing cd rather than wasting time for LP.
    As for vinyl the only discussed ones are UK and US pressings.
    I can add that many times things in fact are not as they are descriped and with a certain cart and phono amp combination for example Dutch DMM version sounds very very nice.

Scott Strobel likes this.
  8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Does the Hysteria album really sound bad ? I have a early UK copy of Pyromania, VERS 2, that sounds good to me. I think I've seen it cited in the best sounding vinyl threads. I'm not doubting your view, just surprised that Hysteria (which I dont have) would not also sound good.

9. Monddialle

VERS2 with '...bear /..grizzly' on deadwax? I have it, absolutely thunderous version of Pyromania.
    Hysteria is 61+ min long that's why absolute majority of pressings are weak.
    e.g. UK 1st pressing non-DMM is hit and miss

Dhreview16 likes this.
  10. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I agree that the UK first pressing of 'Hysteria' is not great, and the Japanese first pressing was too bright for my liking.

The best version that I have heard is a US original pressing, which is pressed on translucent ('Quiex'?) vinyl.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

My original US vinyl copy doesnt sound so bad. Whatever anyone says i like Hysteria the albim. Title track is a favourite of mine.

Juggsnelson and Clanceman like this.
  12. Monddialle

Thanks a lot!
    To me US version is also bright. And Dutch . Honestly all DMM pressings to my ears are bright , I use two separate cartridges that lower this annoying metallized effect.
    The main issue on Hysteria for me is low dynamics, fading from 4th track noticeably.
    Was Jap pressing better than others or on par?

13. T&Y

T&Y Well-Known Member

My Japanese copy ;

Side A : 422-830-675-1-AS-SP-DMM SP1-5 SP-JAP MASTERDISK
    Side B: 422-830-675-1-BS-DMM 3-4 SP-JAP MASTERDISK

14. Monddialle

Many thanks! Very captivating news)
    First time I hear about Japanese domestic pressing with Masterdisk stamper( or etching? )
    I also did not see this on discogs.

15. Monddialle

The music content (omitting 2-3 tracks) is outstanding.
    I find the production arguable plus the decision to release it as a single LP is an obviuos mistake.
    In case of leaving Bites, Rocket, Sugar offboard and releasing some of them as singles, adding some production features from HighnDry, the record should have been much solid and strong sounding like previous gems. IMHO)

Use_Your_Koala and Szeppelin75 like this.
  16. progmog

progmog Senior Member

There are many different US pressings - after all, this album sold gazillions. You are right in that some US pressings are also bright. However, the one that I am talking about is pressed on translucent vinyl, and is not bright (at least, not to my ears!). I don't have the matrix numbers to hand as I am travelling, but I can let you know once I get back home.

17. Monddialle

Please do when you're back home.
    I expect it to be this one http://www.discogs.com/Def-Leppard-Hysteria/release/2832254, the one with Q in matrix #.
    I have two translucent versions of REM Reckoning, I can agree it is more 'cashmere'-kind of sound than on black mass.
    But at the same time is adds some background hum.

18. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

Found a cheap uk pressing in excellent condition at a yard sale and thought i'd give it a try. It's a disaster. This album was clearly not designed for vinyl. I use the term designed because not having heard it for a zillion years, i was strucked by how unorganic, processed and digital the music sounds. And my god, the songs haven't aged well. 100% cheese.

Marc Perman likes this.
  19. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I just recently acquired a mint copy of the original pressing US Hysteria. According to the dead wax both sides are Masterdisk, haven't determined who mastered this yet though. I can say the sound is phenomenal! Perfectly balanced, just a joy to listen to. Heres the dead wax info, in case someone happens to know the story with this copy.
    Side 1: Masterdisk(in what looks like very neatly scrawled handwriting)IMP#3 422-830-675-1-AS-SP-DMM SP-HRM 4 -7
    Side 2: Masterdisk(neatly scrawled handwriting)IMP#6 422-830-675-1-BS-DMM 4-2 SP-HRM

20. Monddialle

Early UK non-DMM non-mastetdisk version is clearly a hit'n'miss one. Deadly dull..

21. I had a US translucent that sounded very nice, it's the only one I've owned, so no comparisons to be noted, but it killed my cd obviously.

22. Monddialle

Thanks for posting this info.
    My Jap pressing has nearly the same ethings except SP-JAP after DMM and 3-3 on both sides.
    This leads me to a conclusion Japs were pressed from US matrices but not UK.
    As for mastering chĕf : US been cut by Bob Ludwig, two different UK versions by two other mastering gents...afair.

Brian9229 likes this.
  23. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I also noticed the similarity between us and JP numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.