Current status of Levon and the Hawks: From Bacon Fat to Judgement Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LST7006, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I doubt it; he must realize it'll sell like hotcakes.

2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

This is a fantastic start. Thanks. I know there is a lot of controversy regarding the "authenticity" of the non-Dylan Basement recordings, but I always liked the Band tracks from the 75 release, and like to be more inclusive in what I consider to be the "Basement Tapes."
    I've downloaded a variety of Basement sources over the years, but I never listened to the full 10 disc Basement Reels. That seems like the most likely source to pull from.
    I've put myself on a strict abstinence diet until the official release. After that, I will try to create the non-Dylan Basement companion. I'd certainly welcome any input to try to complete this list, remove duplicates, suggest sources, etc.

Hep Alien and HominyRhodes like this.
  3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Mentioned in this article:

http://t.thestar.com/#/article/ente...omplete_basement_tapes_resurface_at_last.html

Now that The Basement Tapes Complete has finally seen the light of day, Haust and Moore have one more ambitious project in mind: an eight-CD, DVD and book box set chronicling Levon and The Hawks, dating back to their individual pre-Ronnie Hawkins musical pursuits in the late ’50s.

No new information, but that's the first credible sign I've seen in ages that's indicates it's still forthcoming (aside from the website updating the year of release periodically).

4. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I want it. The Basement Tapes have whet my appetite for as much Levon & The Hawks/Band material as I can find.

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Occurs to me that this might be the perfect place for us to (belatedly) get the full "See You Later Allen Ginsberg" that was unfortunately (and, I strongly suspect, erroneously) edited on the Basement Tapes box to lose the essential opening seconds in which Richard seemingly improvises the central gag of the song. Jan already indicated his hope is to include a few of Dylan's covers on this set (which this song SORTA qualifies) so I don't think its outside then range of possibilities. It's definately a Basement Tape on which a Hawk has an essential co-starring role.

Okay, not the *perfect* place. That would have been the Dylan box (and I'm actually hoping Sony will eventually offer corrected discs). But that boat may have already sailed, so this might be our last opportunity to get a fully restored version of the song. so I'm willing to grasp at straws.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    HominyRhodes likes this.
  6. HominyRhodes

When we're old and gray, way, way, WAY in the future, they'll probably release "The Basement Tapes: Uncut." (revolution_vanderbilt can help them restore all those missing pieces.)

The Band box better have the Dylan/Manuel duet on One Too Many Mornings, too.

7. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I wonder if there's any chance it'll have the alternate version of "I Shall Be Released" that Levon mentions in his book, with Manuel singing in his normal voice instead of the falsetto. I've always thought that would be an improvement over the released (heh) version.

8. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

This is my holy grail - I just hope I live long enough to see this released!

Matthew Tate and ruben lopez like this.
  9. ellinghausd

ellinghausd Well-Known Member

According to this article, they are in the midst of working on it:
    http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...omplete_basement_tapes_resurface_at_last.html
    "Now that The Basement Tapes Complete has finally seen the light of day, Haust and Moore have one more ambitious project in mind: an eight-CD, DVD and book box set chronicling Levon and The Hawks, dating back to their individual pre-Ronnie Hawkins musical pursuits in the late ’50s."

Hep Alien, LST7006 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Jay hunt

Jay hunt New Member

I remember Levon and the Hawks from the Colonial Tavern on the main drag of the beach resort of Grand Bend Ontario the summer after they split with Ronnie Hawkins. I think Garth Hudson is the driving force behind the release. I know there is lots of great unreleased material from them and sincerely hope the current promises are finally realized.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. HominyRhodes

re:Mary Lou / Need Your Lovin'
    by Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks

Anybody want to buy this old, original 45 off me for one million dollars? :whistle:
    [​IMG]
    Seriously, it's cool to own this single, which has the same label on both sides ("ML" = the Mary Lou side), and features a young Levon Helm. It says "1958" at the bottom, but I think it may have been recorded in 1959, per Ronnie Hawkins' website.

RONNIE HAWKINS AND THE HAWKS
    New York, April 29, 1959
    Ronnie Hawkins (vocals), with Jimmy Ray Paulman (lead guitar), Willard Jones (piano), Levon Helm (drums), Sam Taylor (tenor sax-1), unknown (chorus).

Matrix Song title Label & Issue (45 rpm) Label & Issue (LP or CD)
    13811 Whatcha Gonna Do - 1 Roulette SR 25078
    13812 Wild Little Willie - 1 Roulette SR 25078
    13813 Mary Lou - 1 Roulette 4177 / Roulette SR 25078
    13814 Oh Sugar Roulette SR 25078
    13815 Odessa - 1 Roulette SR 25078
    13816 Need Your Lovin' Roulette 4177 / Roulette SR 25078
    13817 My Gal Is Red Hot Roulette SR 25078
    13818 Dizzy Miss Lizzie - 1 Roulette SR 25078

Ronnie Hawkins And The Hawks - "Need Your Lovin'"

DeeThomaz and Fullbug like this.
  12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I don't know anything about your health status, but I'm working under the assumption that most of us are going to outlive the CD format. So it would really seem to be in their interest to get this out sooner rather than later.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  13. GreatKingRat

GreatKingRat Well-Known Member

Good luck with that.

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

If this box is really going to happen, you'd think it'll have to be before Dec 31st, 2017-- when the unreleased recordings fall out of copyright in the EU.

ruben lopez likes this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Hep Alien, Sean Murdock and darling like this.
  16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I refuse to get too excited about this until it is confirmed.

:goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That would be wise. This thread could be summarized with a single Peanuts comic strip of Lucy, Charlie Brown & a football.

Fender Relic and Hep Alien like this.
  18. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Now would be the time to strike while the iron is hot! Let's see the box! The circulating Hawks recordings need a proper release.

www.talkfromtherockroom.com

19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This is the year. If it doesn't happen now, I doubt it ever will.

Even so, the pre-67 unreleased recordings have already fallen out of copyright (in the EU, at least). It might be too late.

20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Do you really have one?

21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Hope this set includes "Moulty."

22. HominyRhodes

Yes, that's a scan of my 45. I doubt the duplicate label adds any value to it, though, and copies of the regular single go for about $5-$10 (shipped) on EeelBay. Still, it's a cool record to listen to once in awhile.

I probably missed it somewhere, but has anyone ever put together a proposed "Bacon Fat" track list? I have no idea how much pre-Basement Tapes material even exists.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Man, I remember reading about this set seven or eight years ago.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

any news on this yet?

25. cellery

cellery Well-Known Member

Damn, this is the first I've ever heard of this, but now I want it. No news that I can find though ...

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.