Line Magnetic 518IA Integrated Amp and 502CA DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IanL, Dec 25, 2015.

1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The JJ's are surprisingly good to me. Especially considering the crazy low price they go for.

progrocker, oregonalex and james like this.
  2. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, that works out well then. That Philips isn't cheap. If the Genalex sounds good to you, you saved a bunch of cash (although I bet the Philips will last indefinitely, I doubt the Genalex will).

Something I should have included in my initial comments, the Philips (now broken in) is quite a bit more transparent. More air. Which sounds funny considering it is also quite a bit darker. I expect the Genalex will open up considerably with time. It is a little bit bright right now. Just ever-so-slightly. I have hopes that will become more refined too. Listening to Jay-Z's The Blueprint right now, which is pretty heavily compressed, but the brightness is not something that is problematic on this disc. Just slightly brighter than I prefer. To put it into perspective.

james likes this.
  3. IanL

I would invest some money in some nice NOS (or good-testing) vintage 12AX7's. They last so long, and are so influential on the sound, they are the first tubes I would be willing to spend decent money on.

james likes this.
  4. IanL

The RCA blackplates are my favorite 6L6 in this amp so far. I have tried going back to the GE's (which are awesome tubes, more dimensionality and a bit of sparkle) but I prefer the RCAs for their more textured bass and less forward treble. Mids are slightly better on the GE's, and like I said, seem more 3D.

5. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The Bugle Boys have definitely added a more refined top end along with a real holographic and 3D mid range and not to mention, amazing bass. I think they will complement the RCAs very nicely.

GoldprintAudio and IanL like this.
  6. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Ian, got to give it 50 hrs at least. I just let mine cook for a few days.

IanL likes this.
  7. Erocka2000

So I had to send the RCA 6L6GC's back. Unfortunately, they were only matched electrically, but visually they had different logos and glass sizes. I know that shouldn't really be a problem, but with a slight case of OCD, I don't think I would have been able to live with them.

Does anyone know where I can get a matched set of RCA 6L6GC blackplates, that are matched both electrically and cosmetically, meaning the logos and glass size are matched? I see a bunch on eBay, but I'm nervous about getting them from there. Unless someone has used a specific dealer on eBay that they could recommend?

8. james

james Summon The Queen

Just put this Gold Lion rectifier tube in.

Pretty sure I don't have the aural memory to distinguish differences. Especially days later. I'd have to A/B them.

Sounds good, so works for me

9. james

james Summon The Queen

this amp continues to amaze me. Listening to Angel Olsen's "Enemy" through LS50's is absolutely nuts.

10. IanL

I totally agree. Today I was listening to a Beach Boys CD, Friends, which I never thought sounded like anything special in the past. It was just wonderful.

The other day, I decided to listen to Bill Evans' Waltz for Debbie (OJC LP). Although I think Evans is a fine musician, I never understood all the gushing over this album, or his others. But I found out why. I had never understood how important the role of Scott LaFaro was in this trio. For the first time I heard the full impact of his playing, and it all made perfect sense. When the record was over, I immediately put on Sunday at the Village Vanguard, and it got even better!

This amp is allowing me to hear a lot of music in a new way, to the point where I find myself re-evaluating my long-held opinions in some cases.

11. IanL

I got mine from Brent Jessee (audiotubes.com). The RCA logos (both orange) on the black base are different logos. But otherwise the tubes look the same. That was close enough for me. I think it would bother me too if they were two different glass sizes. Logos not so much.

12. Erocka2000

Yeah, Brent is where I bought mine from. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any more NOS matched (cosmetically) pairs.

13. IanL

What about his "Light use/Tests Excellent" RCAs? Another option is to try some GEs, which do sound a bit different, but are also wonderful in their own way (and are cheaper!).

14. Erocka2000

I originally had some Light Use ones, but those also didn't match logo-wise, which is why I sent them back and went with the NOS. I thought the NOS were going to match based on my discussion with Brent, so I was quite disappointed when they arrived and both the logo and glass didn't match.

15. IanL

Bummer. I agree that is surprising since he knew exactly what you were looking for.

I'm sure he will get some more in eventually. If you are patient (I'm generally not!). I'll take a look on eBay and see if anybody I have dealt with before is listing these.

16. Erocka2000

Cool. That would be most appreciated. You can PM me if you find anything.

17. GoldprintAudio

Got in my 219 and 210 demo units yesterday!

[​IMG]

Still, SandAndGlass, suntzu and 8 others like this.
  18. timind

timind phorum rezident

I had a matched 6L6GC quad set of from http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/TAD-Tube-Amp-Doctor. It's been a while so I don't remember the brand (either RCA or GE) but they sounded fine. Also can't say whether the logos were a perfect match. Pretty sure they were not NOS.

19. Erocka2000

I actually wound up finding a mint NOS set of the RCA's. Should receive them next week.

20. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

They look fantastic. How are your results do far? Are you running the sonos into the LM dac? Are you happy with it? I run a wyred 4 sound modified sonos into a metrum now dac with good success. That is when I am not using my garrard 301.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  21. GoldprintAudio

Just able to get them hooked up last night. Spent a few hours with the 219. Even straight out of the box, I can easily say it's one of best amps I've ever had the pleasure to hear or use. Just insanely good (and that's on stock tubes as well). Playing it with DeVore Gibbon X's.

Will try and get some more time with them both in the next few days.

And yes, in this setup, the Sonos is running into the LM DAC. Streaming Deezer.

IanL likes this.
  22. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Awesome. I look forward to hearing more about them. You should try tidal.

I don think that the 210ia will be at its best with the Devore X though.

23. GoldprintAudio

Tried Tidal....I actually prefer Deezer.

The 210 is perfect with the 0/96 demo's! And they work surprisingly well with the X's.

24. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Yes, it will be great with the 96's.

25. jdsher

jdsher Forum Resident

Saw this unit at a bar in Austin, Tx last night. It was very hard to judge the sound, but it sure was pretty to look at those VU meters going crazy.
    Line Magnetic 501
    [​IMG]
    Jon

SandAndGlass, trd, JMAC and 4 others like this.