Anyone familiar with "Classic Records" vinyl LPs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Surfing EBay because I was thinking of selling my Neil Young self titled solo debut album (a rare one because side one is the remaster and side two is the original mix that was recalled so I think it is a mistake pressing).

I came across this Neil Young vinyl LP collection up for sale.
    Seller claims these are ultra valuable out of print vinyl LPs.
    Does anyone know or have any experience with these vinyl LPs?
    Is this a good price for that collection?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEIL-YOUNG-...LE-LP-BONUSES-32-SIDES-OF-VINYL-/351355230649

2. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Classic Records put out some excellent all AAA vinyl when they were in business. Sometimes there were pressing issues, but not too frequently. Very fine sounding in almost every instance. I have quite a few Classic LPs and they are some of the best sounding LPs I own. However, I only have a few Classic Neil Young LPs, so I'm not an expert on whether these are better than others that might be cheaper. From memory, I purchased a re-issue of his first four LPs sourced from the original analog master tapes on 180g vinyl sometime around 2009 (?) Believe me, someone around here will know the exact details! They sound excellent: I wouldn't expect the Classics to better them and they might be significantly cheaper.

3. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I had all of these records and sold some.

The records mentioned that were issued by Classic Records are fine pressings, but albums like Greendale or Living with War are not among Neil Youngs best albums IMHO. So I sold most of them when prices went up. No regrets.

I hope you noticed that most records that are offered here are not releases by Classic Records. There is even one by Simply Vinyl, meaning it's probably digitally sourced.

I doubt that this collection if offered for a good price. MyMusicFix's business is hyping about what they are selling.
    You can check Popsike.com for prices actually paid on ebay, or go to discogs.com, and find out what prices were paid.

4. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

Classic Records produced very nice vinyl. If you could have bought it when it was first released and paid a reasonble price, I'd say go for it but what many eBay and other sellers are trying to get for them is wayyyyyy out of line based on SQ to value. I have quite a few and I like them. Only one from NY, his Greatest Hits and it's very nice. Also as schelti stated the eBay vendor in question is very reputable but also very pricy.

Hawklord likes this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have some of their reissues. The David Crosby -If I could remember my name-is phenomenal.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FYI, Classic Records has been discussed countless times in countless threads here over the years. A search will probably provide you with as much info as you could possibly ever want.

mpayan likes this.
  7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Great sounding albums with too much noisy vinyl.

8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The seller mymusicfix2 has always had some of the highest prices around (well above market value) regardless of title.

Hawklord likes this.
  9. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

Whenever Classic Records comes up on this forum I always see comments about noisy pressings. I have a whole bunch, all the Zep, Genesis, Gabriel, The Who, CSN&Y, etc. They all sound great and are dead quiet. Either I'm incredibly lucky or these reports are greatly exaggerated.

spencer1 and Hawklord like this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"mymusicfix" is notorious for jacked up prices. Most, if not all, are beyond ridiculous. No, I wouldnt base market value prices on anything he has for sale.

If you are new to this hobby, Id suggest reading the archives.

Hawklord likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And just because something is unique doesnt make it valuble. For instance: Bob Dylans Freewheelin' lp before recall had songs on it that were not included on pressing soon after. The album was redistributed without those songs. So, its extremely rare. Well, you say, "My Neil LP is extremely rare also. Unique in fact." No, its just a mistake. No story behind it. Nothing to give the rarity legs. Where as the Dylan lp has a story. Read about it sometime if youre not familiar.

Now if your Neil Young mistake lp had a story behind it; say Neil Young was experimenting with a new idea of putting one mix on one side and another on the other side? Then you might have something that had the "fingerprint" of the artist and a story. And it might be of some great value. Gotta understand collecting and what makes something collectible.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You are very lucky. The quality issues were real, and they actually instituted hand inspection service to assure buyers. But they were isolated so it wasn't something that affected every album over a period of time, or anything like that. Many people had no problem with their pressings.

Hawklord likes this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've have quite a few Classic Record reissues and I have had one album with a small defect, a piece of detritus on the record surface that causes a skip so I don't play tgat track. Outside of that one they have been excellent. I only have a few CR Neil Young records and they are excellent sounding, good quality all around as you expect with NY. As smeone pointed out, some of those titles are poor sellers and that is probably the crux here. This company bought large or got a good deal on a big pile and now they are trying to cash in. Only problem is that Living With War and Greendale aren't moving fast. How do I move these units and still male a profit. Bundle! Put the good with the bad and hope those with more money than knowledge or really likes Greendale and a few other low selling NY albums and ka Ching! Classic Records are generally very good quality. So that isn't the issue but why pay top dollar for some of those titles? I guess if you didn't have the scratch when they were reasonably priced and you just struck a goldmine, go for it. Smart money would ignore that.

14. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

I agree, heard that before and i too must have been very lucky. I have probably 15 quiex, SVP and none of them were noisy. Now some were no better than the orignial pressing or other reissues, but noisy...I've nerver experienced that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.