New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. NotOneStraw

NotOneStraw Well-Known Member

For those interested, Amazon got the Intervention Sparkle & Fade back in stock recently and dropped the price 41% to $35. Last I saw there were about 15 left.

IR Shane likes this.
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

12 left... before I bought my copy. Opted for Friday shipping so I'll have it for the weekend. I wasn't down with $60 shipped from some vendors but for $40, yep. Thanks for the heads up!

IR Shane and NotOneStraw like this.
  3. NotOneStraw

what's that saying about great minds...?

IR Shane likes this.
  4. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Hello- I sell on Amazon as a Third Party Seller, and they don't allow pre-orders. They only show my offer as active when the product is in stock. I will always have them up at the US retail price, which for these LPs is $35. They also apparently didn't check in all the copies I sent. So i'm trying to resolve that and simultaneously sending more. It takes a long time to get them records, and they are not quick in checking them in. I am adjusting and will be more aggressive about keeping my stock there higher moving forward. Of course I need them to not lose them too!

Naughty Chord and NotOneStraw like this.
  5. NotOneStraw

mine arrived today, what gorgeous, and I do mean gorgeous, packaging! I can't wait to give it a spin!!

IR Shane likes this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

They're all beautifully done. Crank it up. I think you'll love it.

IR Shane and NotOneStraw like this.
  7. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

IR Shane... What is the labels philosophy on colored vinyl?

A) we are an audiophile label and audiophile vinyl is only black
    B) just wait to see what is next!
    C) maybe in the future but not now...

Just curious. Thanks!

IR Shane likes this.
  8. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Well OK:
    10cc - all of it!

Son Volt - Okemah and the Melody of Riot
    Never before available on vinyl - the only title of their catalog not pressed. You would be a hero.

9. jrmitchell72

jrmitchell72 Good at bad decisions

How about the first album by The Presidents of the United States of America? And I would also love an Okemah pressing!

Clonesteak, IR Shane and Fullbug like this.
  10. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Sparkle and Fade is great, and Afterglow is a close second.

IR Shane likes this.
  11. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Oh darn I'm tempted to buy one or both of the Everclear albums. Ahh the 90s...

Fullbug and IR Shane like this.
  12. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I concur. You can tell the master wasn't all that great in some spots but based on a very fuzzy memory of the original CD, the vinyl is head and shoulders better and more fun.

IR Shane and Fullbug like this.
  13. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

I've got the Stealers Wheel reissue. Bravo! Very well done. Wish all reissues were similar in care and quality.

sonofjim and IR Shane like this.
  14. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

A, but here's the more detailed explanation. Yes, I know that even black vinyl is "colored" black. But I think colored vinyl in general doesn't sound as good, and at the least is an invitation to having more potential sonic issues. RTI and other pressing plants spend the bulk of their time and energy keeping the formulas on their black vinyl as close to perfect as humanly possible. It's what they do all the livelong day, every day. Asking for something different than that is flat out asking for something that's not their best. I trust my partners are RTI completely, and know they would take their best shot and probably do the best colored vinyl there is.

But at the end of the day, asking for the best sounding colored vinyl they can do is asking them to do something other than making me the best sounding vinyl they can. That's not why 'I'm doing this! Exactly the opposite in fact!

Colored vinyl costs more to do and doesn't make it sound better. Period, as a best case scenario. So, I'd ask you, do you want to pay more for records that don't sound any better?

15. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

These are good ones!

Fullbug, jrmitchell72 and weirdo12 like this.
  16. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Great response and it is kind of what I thought you were going to say. I like to hear the passion for valuing the sonics and the art of getting that 100% right. I haven't heard anyone saying that colored vinyl sounds better, but in my experience if done well, can sound just as good. My colored Beck Sea Change that Mobile Fidelity did sounds identical to my black copy. The colored Nirvana catalog that ORG did sound pretty amazing.

But, you are right, at the end of the day, it is what it sounds like through the speakers!

IR Shane likes this.
  17. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Spinning the Everclear So Much for the Afterglow, and came here to say WOW, it's so refreshing to buy Music Matters Jazz quality vinyl... For newer music of MY childhood!

I was 12 years old when this came out. Listened to the CD non stop. First learned what dynamic compression was with that CD.

This pressing is top quality. Sound is clear, and the remix toes that fine line between improving the sound, but maintaining the original mix. The highhat in "I Will Buy You a New Life" is so crisp it's almost lifelike.

Vinyl is great quality. Clean, flat, and quiet.
    And the sleeve!! It's almost comical to me to see such care expended on reproducing photos of mid-90s rock stars with their Jennifer Aniston haircuts. Haha

Shane, this is a great first impression and you've made a new customer. Now, to get some Beck recordings released...

IR Shane likes this.
  18. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Also, I'm trying to find the article that explains how Afterglow was remixed from the multitracks, but digitally sourced for various reasons. Whic I'm okay with, sounding this good.

Where is that article? Thought it was Fremer, but I guess not. Anyone have a link?

IR Shane likes this.
  19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

They are also releasing three Joe Jackson albums, Look Sharp, I'm The Man, and Night and Day, remastered by Kevin Gray. There is a separate thread on this (with I think comments from Intervention as Forum members) for those interested.

20. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Hi! This is exactly what my label exists for, and the question that I hope to answer. I'm 45, and that question is whether people my age and younger will buy premium vinyl editions of these alt rock classics? I hope people appreciate what I'm doing and how as much as you do!

I do want to be clear- my reissues are remasters, NOT remixes! In other words we work from the final stereo master/mixdown choosing the EQ settings and D-essing and choose to NOT apply any compression, etc.. But we don't (in these cases) have access to the original multi-tracks to remix from scratch, nor would we prefer to so long as the stereo masters are in good shape.

21. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I put all this info on my website on the detail pave for every record: Intervention Records | Albums »

Pertinent info repeated below for brevity, and the story for Sparkle and Fade is identical:

Everclear’s So Much For the Afterglow was captured on analog master tapes, but never fully assembled in the analog domain. That means choosing the final mixes, sequencing, crossfades, etc. was performed only in the digital domain, which in a real sense means no analog master exists of the final album. Universal archived the original tapes in high-resolution digital and supplied IR with specially prepared flat 24-bit/96kHz files for compatibility with Cohearent Audio’s 24-bit capable Pacific Microsonics D-A conversion system and what notes were available regarding which files contained final mixes, sound effects, crossfades, etc. Cohearent’s Kevin Gray and IR’s Shane Buettner then spent painstaking hours running down the title comparing the files to the original Capitol LP to ensure final mixes and sequencing, crossfades, sound effects and properly space the time between tracks.

Sonically, So Much For The Afterglow is now better than ever before, with true timbres and textures, a much more expansive soundstage, no dynamic limiting/compression, and unsurpassed musicality and listenability. A ‘90s alt rock classic brought to new life!

Dmann201 and PhantomStranger like this.
  22. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing these issues. Some 90s records that really really need good reissuing on LP are:
    Posies Frosting On The Beater
    My Bloody Valentine Loveless
    The Organ Grab That Gun

Telemark, jrmitchell72 and IR Shane like this.
  23. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

So much for the Afterglow- cleaned and spinning. This is how vinyl should sound.
    Just go ahead and buy them- awesome!

IR Shane likes this.
  24. jrmitchell72

jrmitchell72 Good at bad decisions

Dinosaur Jr - Green Mind...it just turned 25! I have the original German pressing, but would love a better pressing. There have been a couple of represses, but nothing in the US.

Andy Pandy and IR Shane like this.
  25. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Spinning Sparkle and Fade now, sounds great! So nice to have these teenage staples out on audiophile quality wax and mastered by Kevin Gray to boot! Two thumbs up!

I have an original SMFTA on Blue wax.. has anyone compared the original blue wax to these new reissues? The blue wax is a tad noisy, mostly coz it's old, but sounds great otherwise. Is the new reissue a significant upgrade on the OG press?

Edit: Also, if you can you guys should put out Deep in the Heart of the Beast in the Sun by Colorfinger, Art's previous band. Won't think twice about ordering that if it comes out on vinyl.

Alex D. likes this.