Speakers with "Room-filling sound"?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZenArcher, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik A. flickinger

Erik A. flickinger New Member

Just caught this thread, Mirage! Any of the Mirage bipolar so will give you terrific room filling sound, $2000 will get you great speakers new or used.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I thought Mirage went out of business a few years ago ...

3. coopmv

Are these older speakers?

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Those were great speakers. They've since been replaced with these:

[​IMG]

A great room filler. Can't use 12 watts with them, but that's ok.

econalan likes this.
  5. coopmv

IIRC, a 10-watt/ch amp is more than adequate to drive a pair of Cornwalls ...

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes, but dependent on room size, type of music, level of music, and what 10 watt amp.

7. coopmv

I cannot own most Klipsch Legacy models due to their size ...

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Then get Heresies.

9. coopmv

But Heresies are too large to be used as bookshelves. I am looking for a pair of bookshelves with big sound for my study/computer room ...

wilejoe likes this.
  10. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member Thread Starter

OP here...I actually found a used pair of Mirage Omni 60s - they sound nice and they're exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for weighing in.

Erik A. flickinger likes this.
  11. Erik A. flickinger

Dear interweb, let it be known that on February 11, 2016 I Eik Flickinger made a good suggestion!!! Now say goodnight Gracie.

Pinknik and ZenArcher like this.
  12. Erik A. flickinger

I'm seriously considering replacing my Vandersteens with a pair of Mirages OM-6's I do like the way they sound, but the little lady has me on a tight leash.

13. Suppertime

Suppertime Member

I have some Mirage 595is's that I have had a fantastic run with.

In the market now for either KEF q900's or GoldenEar Fives.

14. Erik A. flickinger

We'll call me crazy, I've always wondered about this, so I did it, I turned my spica TC-50's toward the corners, and put my Vandy 1's in front of them wired in parallel, my spearimint in audio, so Wow! Sounds great, since they are both time and phase coherent I have a poor mans pulsating spree of dispersion, now, I'm a biologist not an audio engineer, what could go wrong? Is anything right? I know I have reduced the resistance but I don't play loud and my 535 is still hardly working, anyways I'm new here and having fun tonight.

sberger likes this.
  15. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Same here. The sweet spot has become smaller - about a foot, since angling my speakers inward about 10 degrees. It was a bit bigger when they were firing straight down the room.

16. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I think so coopmv, that was an image I plucked from google but they are the same drivers a friend has in different looking cases, so probably late 70's - early 80's.
    Still make a stunning sound 'though.
    When I first heard them he played William Ørbit - Barber's Adagio For Strings (Ferry Corsten Remix)

It was like being at a rave in his living room! :)

17. meanoldman

meanoldman Forum Resident

Before you buy into any marketing hype, the man who designed the legendary EPI speakers (and founded EPI) is still at work.

http://directacoustics.com/

McLover likes this.
  18. meanoldman

meanoldman Forum Resident

I have a pair of 301 II-series that I just retired. Each one has two tweeters, one pointed down/left and one pointed up/right. That's how they disperse the sound. The bass is slightly above average but they lack clarity on the high end.

19. coopmv, You may want to consider Miller and Kriesel (M&K) S1b's or 2B's for a really good sounding speaker with a relatively small footprint. I have a pair of each and despite completely differing design, I find that both sound very similar to one another. They are satellites and are best with a sub, however go fairly low without one, especially considering their size. You can always add a sub later if desired and if there's room. They can usually be found on the used market for a very reasonable price.

tvstrategies likes this.
  20. Sal1950

Sal1950 Forum Resident

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2 Highly efficient and beautiful sounding for $189 each in Rosenut finish. Add a STF-1 subwoofer for $329 and have solid room filling bass down to 25hz. Package deals for the speakers and sub are discounted. I run a 5.2 system with dual STF-2 subs and the sound for both music and movies are incredible. I've had Dr Hsu's products since the early 90s, the company is based in CA and he was educated at MIT, a truly brilliant engineer.
    HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker »
    Reviews
    HSU HB1 Mk2 Speaker Review »
    HSU Research HB-1 MK2 Bookshelf Loudspeaker Reviewed »
    Hsu Research ULS-15 Subwoofer and HB-1/HC-1 MK2 Speakers - HomeTheaterHifi.com »

21. But, Bose's goal was room filling sound, which it accomplished. If you want clarity, the addition of foward-firing tweeters is the cure.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  22. Sal1950

Sal1950 Forum Resident

Just thinking, if you really want great sound everywhere and imaging isn't an issue, get any direct radiating speaker that
    you really like the sound of and just run them in mono. I'm not kidding, there's nothing to lose and many things to gain
    as long as your not interested in any imaging properties in that room. In my big house in Chicago I had a system in the kitchen
    and master bedroom (a small room) that I ran a couple of very vintage 50-60s mono systems with tube amps and speakers that filled
    those rooms with beautiful sound from cheapo used CD players.

23. coopmv

Thanks for getting back. I don't know if speakers with 15" woofers are still being made for home use ...

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Paradyme Studio 20s. They came powered and unpowered. They've just revamped their line but their bookshelf speakers are giant killers.

25. Sal1950

Sal1950 Forum Resident

wilejoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.