I need a new CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tom H, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking to get the most bang for my buck. My system is modest by my standards, and likely laughable by the standards of most serious audiophiles. But I am looking to 2016 to upgrade.

What's the best option for a CD player in the $300-350 range?

2. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

For something new I'd probably get the NAD C516BEE in that price range.

Art K, tiger roach, malco49 and 2 others like this.
  3. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Marantz CD 5005 would be a solid pick too.

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

^^^ These.

The Onkyo 7030 for <$200 is pretty great as well.

All 'play music'.

p.s. If you can groove to the music on your system ... it ain't laughable. :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  5. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Get the Marantz

Vinyl Fan 1973 and bhazen like this.
  6. Tom H

I have an Onkyo receiver that I bought in 1987 and a pair of Bose speakers I bought at a thrift store. My CD player is dying - it stops for no reason in the middle of playing CDs. It's a Philips (player/burner) I got in 1999.

:nauga:

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Im a fan of using the ex demo, used market especially at this price. You can pick up some great bargains that far exceed your budget (in rrp).

Linger63 and PhilBiker like this.
  8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Yamaha CD-S300. My neighbor has one. He and his wife have been using it daily for a couple years. It's got a decent DAC, the transport is reliable and quiet, and the remote control works well. Yamaha is a huge company that puts all sorts of goodies into its hifi components. The sound quality is very good - I've heard it playing in my neighbor's system dozens of times (he's got a Yamaha AV receiver and PSB speakers) - and it sounds just like all the Yamaha components I've ever heard: musical and responsive.

bhazen, Thermionic Dude and George P like this.
  9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

when/if my cambridge audio AZUR 640C goes i will just go with the NAD that you mentioned.i have not had the best of luck with the cambridge cd players.one went up after a couple of years and i had this one in the shop once already.although it seems to be working just fine since.....oh i prefer the NAD over the marantz largely due to the smaller size of the NAD as it will fit into my rack system.plus i think the sound is good.

10. Tom H

Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

So let's assume that I can pick up a new CD player in the next 30 days, and I want to replace another component - would the speakers be the next logical step forward?

11. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I had a surprise rrcently, bought a heavy weight player from the 90,s a Nakimichi cd player 2 mb and its got serious sound quality. If you could stretch your budget a little a Linn karrik
    Or the other one they did back i early 2000 are still awesome. IMHO new players arr very lightweight in sound snd build quality.

12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

For $150-$209 you can get a Pioneer Elite DV79avi. It's a Universal player from about 8-10 years ago that was originally over $1,000. It plays CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD. The sonics are outstanding. For a bit less, $80-$135 you could get the runner up model, the DV 59avi. I also own the Onkyo C-7030 another member posted about, it's a teriffic player.

I would definitely replace your speakers. The budget Pioneer SP-BS22-LR are an exceptional value for around $100-$129, they're often on a discount sale at Amazon or Best Buy. A step up would be the Music Hall Marimba. Originally $350 a pair you can get them for $179 online from Hi-Fi Heaven in Wisconsin, or Music a Direct for $199. They'll offer you a much bigger soundstage than the Pioneers, and lovely midrange especially vocals. There's also a used pair in great shape on EBay right now starting at$99.

panasoffkee, PhilBiker and Tom H like this.
  13. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

14. Erik A. flickinger

Erik A. flickinger New Member

Go cheap and snag an old Rotel, 855-955, or grab an sacd player, that'll have a really good chip set, then if you run into some SACDs you'll have a treat. The single greatest upgrade in my opinion is the recording, and what I love about this site.

rodentdog, jupiterboy and PhilBiker like this.
  15. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

I sold a gently used NAD 546BEE for $300 last year. Probably sold it a bit low but if you could find a good condition used unit in that price range, that would be a good move. Sonics wise for CD playback, I thought it trounced the much lauded oppo 103.

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I'm not affiliated, but have had good experience in the past - www.accessories4less.com has some good deals on CD players. As I write this the CD5005 is in your price range. I agree with DigMyGroove there are great deals to be had in older "universal" players or even older dedicated SACD or DVD players that would serve as excellent CD players. Worth looking on your local craigslist. Right now there's a Pioneer Elite DV-37 on my local craigslist and the guy wants $50 for it. That would be a hell of a great dedicated CD player.

17. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

There are stores over this side of the waters thst will sometimes do a complete system, where if you buy sn amp and cd player they will throw in a pair of speakers. No doubt you will have them where are you.
    Imho amp/ speakers need matching to the room.

18. Erik A. flickinger

Erik A. flickinger New Member

Since you already have a dac, get any CD player you like the gestalt of that has a digital out.

Humbuster, Wild Zero and Tom H like this.
  19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Find one that has the HDCD feature so that you can get the most out of those Grateful Dead CDs! Some Denon's have HDCD, some older NAD as well . I don't know anything about OPPO.

20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

PS - there is a thread on here that lists HDCD compatible. Someone posted that all OPPO have that feature. Happy hunting-when you get confused, just listen to the music play...

wilejoe likes this.
  21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I would not buy any sort of used CD player. You already have one... Also, while build and analog circuit quality are important, vast improvements have occurred over the years in digital circuit design. Get a new Blu-Ray player for the best performance of the most formats for the least amount of money. Probably only $100 will get you a nice one with analog audio outputs there. Speakers are of course going to be a big deal in producing better sound from your electronics. Don't skimp there. Condition is very important with speakers.
    -Bill

rbp, Robin L, SBurke and 3 others like this.
  22. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I own a Marantz CD 6005.

Great value for money, love it.

I'm not sure how much it retails for in the U.S., but it is a lovely piece of kit.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and bhazen like this.
  23. mds

mds Forum Resident

How safe is buying lower priced CD players in terms of reliability? If any piece of equipment over the years have failed its always been the lower end CD and DVD players. I spent a bunch nervously on my last CD player, built like a tank and its lasted and still plays/sounds flawless, but those $500 and lower never lasted.

RedRaider99 and PhilBiker like this.
  24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Art nails it.

For well under a grand, NAD and Elac can provide you with an amazingly musical system (CDP/amp/speakers).

mwb, PhilBiker and Gasman1003 like this.
  25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Sadly, replacing disc players every decade or so is the cost of doing business; think of it like you do replacing tyres on your auto when they wear out.

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.