Steve Harvey calls this the worst moment from "Family Feud"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Ma seems like a real possibility. In the comments field of the YT video someone suggested
    Old lady as in "my old lady".

QuestionMark? likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

"Ma" "Mum" and Steve Harvey actually gave away a potential answer while clowning. He said "mammy," which no one had yet answered.

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

After watching that full clip and then reading this, this is even funnier than the clip :lol:

George P, Fox67 and OldSoul like this.
  4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

He certainly did get some mileage out of it. It was funny, but I think he was actually feeling empathy for the poor woman and wanted to give her a little slack.

It is a brilliant game because it requires no skill and no knowledge except for being average. The more common your answers are the better you do. Originality is a liability. Despite being the most average there is also a wild card built in that makes it possible for the losing Family to "steal" and win the game. It is the perfect game for regular folks to have a chance too win. It's definitely but there is something brilliant in the way it was devised.

5. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I live for trainwrecks, but I couldn't finish that clip. Wow. To be fair, I couldn't think of an answer to the question either.

6. balzac

balzac Senior Member

My favorite part of the clip, and what may also speak to the host sort of admitting the show is kind of inane and beyond dumbed down, is when he finally (jokingly, but then again kind of seriously too) tells the audience to *stop applauding* the awful, obviously incorrect answers the lady keeps giving.

I guess I can cut the audience some slack since the directors/producers probably tell them to applaud and cheer at everything. But I think a small percentage of the audience may have been as oblivious as this contestant was.

I also agree that even within the confines an awful show like this, this particular question was extra flawed from the perspective of trying to spur interesting gameplay.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I look like a dope there - I didn't get the joke. :hide:

On this board, if I don't see emoticons, I read everything literally! :)

Dinstun likes this.
  8. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

The only other two answers I could think of aren't American in origin: Madre and Mater. I'm really curious what the other two answers were.

9. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Sorry. :)

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not your fault - your comments were funnier without the emoticon.

You probably thought the joke was so obvious you didn't need the emoticon - and you were right! I'm just a dope! :D

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Family Feud is an awful show, but not Alf? :D

12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

How bout Ri Rio_O

13. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

My sister and I used to call our mom

Mushmouse

:D

I'd have had to go with that one.....

X !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

empirelvr likes this.
  14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Correct....

I'd rather watch the most inane, sophomoric sitcom than pretty much any game show. Watching old game shows, there's a little bit of charm to some of those (wrist straps on the chairs on "$10,000 Pyramid"?).

But yeah, Family Feud in particular has always been awkward, awful, and never funny other than scenarios like the lady in this clip. Again, the "E! True Hollywood Story" on Family Feud, in all its tabloid glory, was more interesting than actually *watching* the show. (And the same would probably be true of "Alf"!)

About the only interesting thing I've seen of game shows was the documentary the Game Show Network did (remember when they tried documentaries?) on the guy that figured out the patterns to the "Press Your Luck" game and took home oodles of money.

15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This!
    Though not for EVERYTHING.......

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  16. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

What were the 2 remaining answers, anyone know? Has the show been aired yet? Or is it later this month??

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I couldn't find the other answers. Maybe it's meant as a draw to watch the show when it airs. I did find that this is even an abbreviated version! The actually attempt to come up with an answer went on for 25 minutes according to Harvey.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  18. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

One of the family members mentioned on a TV interview to watch out for it on Feb 23rrd

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Family Feud is a brutal show to watch. I remember watching it a lot with Richard Dawson but not after that much. Poor Ray Combs :(.

Remember back in the 70's & 80's when game shows were hot? Now, there's like three of them. Another victim of reality tv.

Grant likes this.
  20. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

"The Chase' is a relatively new one I like, and 'Idiot Test' is cheap, but the host is very funny.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

I half expected someone to answer with a mother f bomb.

22. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

Right, there were quite a few weren't there.... I'll add to that victims of talk shows too.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Yeah when i was a kid in the mid-70s to early 80s, there were tons of game shows on every network channel in the 9am to 1pm time slot.
    AND those slots were also filled with soap operas. Those are pretty much gone too.
    It's all idiot shows like Maury, Jerry Springer, that bald guy, etc.
    And what is the deal with "court" shows? There's a ton of those too!

I did watch Family Feud with Dawson, but it got real boring quick. Steve Harvey is indeed a good host for that show. But it's a lot more "loose" with topics than it used to be.

GodShifter likes this.
  24. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I used to watch a lot of the game shows as a kid in the summer when school wasn't in session. When I was in college, I'd also watch the prime time ones too.

The Price is Right, $25,000 Pyramid, Sale of The Century, Card Sharks, Match Game, Family Feud, Let's Make A Deal, Password, To Tell The Truth, Tattletales, Press Your Luck, Hollywood Squares, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and a few others I am forgetting. I'd even watch those stupid dating games as a kid because I thought they were funny and I'd watch Name That Tune even though I never knew any of those songs as a kid (probably still wouldn't be any good at it.)

If nothing else is on and I am not doing anything, I will still watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune back-to-back in the 7:00-8:00 time slots. But those two shows don't seem as good as I remember back in the '80s when I was in college. I tried to never miss an episode of either, especially Jeopardy back then. I always did like the trivia/quiz type shows the best, just to show off how "smart" I was in front of people. LOL.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  25. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

As bad as it is, it used to be much worse. :wtf:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.